Red Bird on Starr King today

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I think it was Crossbill. Steve Smith had mentioned earlier this week they were in the area this year. The spruces in the woods are loaded with cones. I was up at the viewpoint and there was one around but the Gray Jays made sure they controlled the area for begging. First time I ever saw one in winter in my 30 years of hiking.

I think it was Crossbill. Steve Smith had mentioned earlier this week they were in the area this year. The spruces in the woods are loaded with cones. I was up at the viewpoint and there was one around but the Gray Jays made sure they controlled the area for begging. First time I ever saw one in winter in my 30 years of hiking.

Are they not around every year? Used to see them quite often on the summit of Loon. But haven't had a pass there for a few years now.

P2150025-L.jpg

P2150023-L.jpg

I like taking photos of birds when I can but don't know a whole lot. Thanks for the info. Birds seem to be like cars, so many variations of every model. :cool:

If you get a descent picture you are 95% of the way to determine the bird species. There is an excellent phone app called Merlin that can tell you what kind of bird you have in your photo. For tough to tell cases like poor lighting, out-of-focus shots, wired angle, or some species of raptors that are hard to tell apart there is a great Facebook group called "What's this bird?" and I usually get a reply within few minutes for pictures I post there.