Sugarloaf and Sunday River ten year Investments

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like the new Saddleback owners are going to get some competition for the recent purchase and upgrades.

https://www.newscentermaine.com/art...-2030/97-d4a3c684-68ac-45e3-926d-425ce9458bd7

https://www.boston.com/travel/skiin...r-ski-area-announces-10-year-improvement-plan

Interesting to note that the Sugarloaf project includes rebuilding the dam at Caribou Pond. This will mostly likely mean upgrading Caribou Valley Road. The South Branch of Carrabassett River has in the past been effectively been free running river from Caribou Pond. Caribou Pond at one point had a much bigger surface area to support a logging community at one point in its life. It should improve the driving on Caribou Valley Road eventually although they also could just elect to gate it off at the highway.

There is logging going on in that area this Summer and the road to Caribou Pond has been closed during the week, but has been open for the weekend. I haven't been down that road in a couple years, but I'm assuming the gated bridge just before the AT crossing has been repaired. I know MH&T planned on another Hut in that area, but there is one landowner preventing the purchase or lease of the property desired. Sugarloaf has opened the backside of the mountain for backcountry skiiing and are working with NEMBA and MH&T to build a network of trails in that area.

Good to hear you are still optimistic that MHT will still be a player in the area. Given the recent publicity I was not holding out a lot of hope barring some rich person leaving them an endowment. MHT did meet with MATC in the past to discuss the proposed new hut and the crossing the NPS strip of land that protects the AT. I do not know if the NPS owns it outright or just a right of way but expect they own it. I think MATCs strong preference was to keep it gated prior to the AT. I dont think they can prevent other owners past the gate to continue accessing and managing their land but expect when a new player comes in play they have far more negotiating power. I think the approach would be the MHT would be allowed to open the gate to build and service the future hut but guests would not be allowed past the gate on the access road. This approach is used at their other huts.

I am somewhat surprised that the Caribou Valley is not in some sort of conservation easement by now. Some of the lands on either side of the AT corridor were protected from development a few years ago but the owner retaining the right to cut the land. I expect the Navy would not appreciate development

BTW when I in high school I made a few trips up there and remember when the entire valley was clearcut. When the access trail was cut for the wind test tower on Reddington, a friend drove a rental car all the way to the pond and if not for a few culverts being removed he could have driven almost all the way up to where the trail left the woods. The trees were only 5 or 6 feet high so we had great views across the valley. The last time I was at Reddington about 4 years ago, the regrowth was high enough that views were limited. Even then it was obvious the area needed a thinning cut.