Denying someone an adventure ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I was out with friend yesterday for a quick hike up Liberty due to forecast for high winds on the exposed summits in the AM. Turns out we got started late so we did not summit until around 2 PM when the winds had dropped substantially. Around 2:15 PM a younger solo hiker came up from the north with microspikes. He asked if we come up from Flume from the "other trail". He was a bit confused on his proposed loop but we figured out he was planning to go down Flume Slide trail. We asked him is he had an ice ax and crampons which he did not. He wasn't aware that Flume Slide can be dicey in the winter. We suggested an out and back to Flume might be advisable. I read a trail report this AM from yesterday by someone who ascended the trail that kick steps were in place up the slide but folks with microspikes would have an interesting time.

Not sure if he did the out and back or decided to do the slide but given that Liberty Spring was getting to be wet snow in the sun I expect the Flume Slide option would be an adventure.

BTW first short sleeve hike of the season heading down.

Last edited:
Oh, I would think anyone looking down Flume slide from the top would think twice from trying to "slide" down it.

Heh heh, the cynic in me says "I would think most people looking down..." :cool:

Having gone down it in the winter, in snowshoes no less long ago, we did survive. There were two members of a rescue group with us that looked at each other when we had made it past the "hairy" parts and decided that we had better make it out with no help as they would be too embarrassed if they needed a rescue. The approach in spots was start a small avalanche and ride it down. I was fourth in line and the snow pack was getting a bit shallow by the time I made it down.

Nice that the guy asked for information and you were able to give it too him. You probably made his day! Always a learning experience when one goes to the Mountains. Although I do find the title to this thread a bit odd.

Oh, I would think anyone looking down Flume slide from the top would think twice from trying to "slide" down it.

Its in the woods the whole way and very wooded from the top, you cannot see it, let alone judge the conditions from "looking down".

Going solo down a trail with unknown conditions in winter can put someone into the type of "adventure" that most would like to avoid.

Going solo down a trail with unknown conditions in winter can put someone into the type of "adventure" that most would like to avoid.

That's the word I was looking for "avoid" not "deny".:D "Epic" I find to be more appropriate. "Adventure" for me brings to mind fun. Again aside from semantics. Glad you were potentially able to help the guy out.

Last edited: