Snow in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
What elevation is snow line at these days, particularly in the southern Whites?

We've had some very cool nights in Flatlandia ... is the sap still running or was that over with the earlier thaw?

not sure of snowline (would have to guess in the 1500-3000ft range depending on sun exposure) but I hear we might get snow tonight, especially up north & in higher elevations, so it may be a moot point. :D

sap run down in the Manchester area has been over for about 2 wks, we had too much warm weather. Got down to 25 F last night so newer taps may be dripping (vs. tap holes drilled earlier which have probably "scarred" enough to stop the flow) but probably cloudy/yellow sap since the buds are almost out. Up north they may have hope for salvaging this season, but I've heard figures for syrup production in southern NH is something like 50-60% of normal.

We could ski right from Pinkham Notch this weekend, so it's at least down to 2050'. Below that things were looking a little sketchy.

Just a few minutes ago a snow squall passed through Cambridge. :eek:

-dave-

Snow went through here this afternoon. I came down onto the Clinton Road around 6 pm and there were 2-3" new snowfall. It depends on the location but generally you hit the snow line in the northern Whites at between 1500' and 2000'. Winter has not ended yet by any means. I never take off the studded snows before May 1.

Stan
thinking of stretching your legs in the southern whites ?
I could be interested.... of course, unless your one of those 'solo' people...spdr

Hello spider! Naww. I'm not a solo enthusiast if I can at all avoid it.

Erik and I were thinking of going up Monday but haven't selected a destination. Check your PM for details that are too boring to post here!

Thanks to those who helped us decide that we'd better get our snowshoes out if we're seeking any elevation. I'm surprised that neither Metsky nor Mohamed have created a 3D view of the Whites with gridlines showing elevations and snowline! What? have you guys been resting on your ... mountain laurels?

As for maple syrup, we go through 3 gallons/year and I've never heard those yankee farmers admit to a good season.