Hydration Bladder Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
I used a hydration bladder for the first time last Sunday and liked it. It seemed the convenience made me drink more steadily throughout the hike rather than just chugging at rest stops like I normally do. Anyhow, my question-
Is it a good idea to empty and dry the bladder between hikes? Will the plastic rot or get moldy? Or is it okay to just leave it full of water and sealed while storing it?

Matt

mcorsar said:
question-
Is it a good idea to empty and dry the bladder between hikes? Will the plastic rot or get moldy? Or is it okay to just leave it full of water and sealed while storing it?

Matt
No don't leave it. Bacteria like to live in warm wet places. I rinse my stuff out and dry it out. After long usage (like 1-2 week backpacking trips) I'll soak it in hot water with a little bleach, then rinse and dry.

Pb

I think you're right about the benefits of the hydration bladder. Since I have started using one I have noticed an increase in my pace, stamina, and recovery time. Because of this, I can hike longer and see more when I get out.

I once forgot to empty my bladder. Cleaning it was difficult. I usually rinse mine and dry it in sunlight for a couple of hours.

a little tip...either insert the tube into the bladder when not using or insert a folded wire hanger into the bladder (be sure not to poke the bladder of course by taping the pointed part). this way the sides won't stick to each other and the nastiness that can ensue will be prevented.

In the hot and humid weather, they NEVER seem to dry out and they just get extremely mildewy. My cure for this is to empty it, roll it up and store it in the freezer. Doesn't hurt it at all and prevents the crud from growing. I sometimes even fill it and freeze it before a hot day hike!

For me , mildew seems to most likely form in the tube. So, for storing, I detach the tube and sometimes the mouthpiece. CamelBack sells a brush on a wire that is made to snake through a tube for cleaning roto-router style. Replacement tubing can be found in hardware stores, but the correct diameter is not as easy to find.
Tube drinking is easier than having to stop and get out a water bottle, but first I found that I was not drinking as much water as I thought I was, so keep an eye on how full the bladder is from time to time until you get used to how much you are drinking.
It may be just my imagination, but I think if I just sip water from time to time, water stays in my system longer than when I drink large quantities at one sitting.

Definitely rinse the bladder,tube and mouth piece after each use. Use a plastic clothes pin and hanger and let dry in a sunny area, with the cap off and hanging down. And as others have said here,periodic cleaning with a very weak solution of bleach and water will help immensely. I agree, hydration systems are great, almost makes you wonder how you ever lived without them.

I wash mine with water/bleach then put it in a very warm place so it will dry out. I insert a coat hanger or stiff wire bent to fit inside the bladder. I wrap the wire in a small towel or put it in a sock (a clean one) :eek: before putting it inside the bladder. I leave mine like that until the next use. If you put it in the sun, be careful not to leave it outside too long, UV will probably kill it over time.

I like the freezer idea from Tmax.

Ah, the mildewed bladder, a malaise common among the hydration immature.

I can't add much to the previous posts as to what to do. Empty, clean w/dilluted bleach solution, hang to dry and store open...all good.

One word of caution. If you ever think about cleaning a bladder with regular dish soap, don't. I ruined my brother's Platypus 2L by cleaning it up with nice flowery smelling soap. Every time he used it after that his water would taste like dish soap. I ended up replacing it for him.

I would have to give Tmax the word up for the day on the freezer idea. I never thought of that. It totally makes sense, although I think I'll pass on filling it before putting it in the freezer.

I agree with all of the above - hydration bladders are the best for keeping kids hydrated. It's almost like a toy to them. I just got new ones for the kidlets and they have on/off valves, so that's more fun.

I do various things to clean mine...bleach or mouthwash to disinfect, rinse with baking soda and water. lemon juice and baking soda make a fizz that's supposed to be cleansing...some say denture tabs do the same.
I use the brushes, and to keep the bladder open to dry, a paper towel tube shoved inside works well.
I got tube shaped ice cube trays for a buck apiece. For the ones that come with regular bite valves, I change over to a big gulp bite valve.
Hydration bladders are great for carrying wine on a trip - just don't confuse it with yer gatorade.
:p

jbrown said:
One word of caution. If you ever think about cleaning a bladder with regular dish soap, don't. I ruined my brother's Platypus 2L by cleaning it up with nice flowery smelling soap. Every time he used it after that his water would taste like dish soap. I ended up replacing it for him.

Do not clean any parts in the dishwasher either. No matter how well I think I've rinsed the bladder, hose and caps after using dish soap or the dishwasher, I've often experienced the insidious taste of soap. The only benefit of this is that I no longer have to share my scotch with my brother-in-law. :D

For the dish soap taste - try a mouthwash rinse and then a couple of baking soda rinses.

I've also heard, probably here on VFTT, that a drop or two of vanilla extract and water will leave a refreshing smell/taste after cleaning.