Looks like conditions are ripe for spring runoff

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking at the various white mountain stream flow sites that I keep an eye on in the area and it looks like spring runoff should be starting up in earnest later this week. The snow pack (yes there is still one up north) is starting to "rot" and a few days of rain and warm temps on Friday will probably set off the melt. The snow pack is not that deep this spring so barring a major rain event it doesn't look like a serious season but I expect stream crossings could be interesting on Saturday.

The Crawford Path was in great shape today, well packed. We wore micro-spikes all day & even stepping off to the side to let people by did not involve going over the boot height. Friday's warm weather may change that although the first weekend of Spring looks cold so it should firm up some where it's not rotting out from underneath.

Well we had a few weeks delay but the rain today got all the stream gauges cranked up. Given the forecast for the week, it looks like the snow pack is going to start disappearing.

The small river gages are starting to really crank up today, maybe this it the one as the prior events shut down soon after the initial rain impact. Warm weather and lots of rain with some fresh snowpack from last Friday means a lot of water is going to be coming out of the woods. The Wild River and the Peabody In Gorham both look like the north slope snow packs are breaking loose. They go up quick but usually drop quick as the basins aren't huge. The Pemi gages aren't responding as fast but given the current radar I expect they will be cranking up overnight.