Acadiia National Park Effectively Closed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked with BSP's website and they are still taking reservations and apparently the park is not closed, however, HQ and offices are closed. Since they have the ability to gate it like Acadia, it's mostly closed.

As a flatlander from a County in CT with very little Covid-19 cases (they are more prevalent in the area that commutes to NYC on crowded trains, and they don't associate with the rest of us, they prefer NYC) I did read the Acadia article as a bit of, we don't want out of state tourists here. (I'm sure I am reading into it some also) Perhaps they mean, while our other businesses are closed other than gas stations, we don't want tourists here until they can spend more money.) All out of stater's aren't clumsy or infected. As we saw with WV, which was the last state to have a case of Covid-19, it only required testing people. We seem to be pushing past common sense to panic induced state mandates as we are continue to see more testing prove that we are a global society. If anyone got on a plane from Manchester NH or Portland Jet Port or even Presque Isle's airport to Boston or NYC or any other congested terminal and city during 2020, there is a possibility you were infected. If you are young and fit, you may not have even noticed. The more traveling you did, the greater likelihood you have of having contracting it. (or, why would I want to associate with anyone from CT, I have to deal with myself, why add a 2nd a$$____)

BSP is a far different case than ANP. BSP may be open for limited day use but all the trails to the summit are closed for the spring season and usually do not open until early June. All the campgrounds are closed and both gates are closed to motorized use. The state highway to the park is not plowed and the current snowpack up north is over 2 feet. There is a lot of snowmachine traffic on these roads and the snow gets packed down leading to the monorail effect being in place for the entire width of the road. The roads melting out have been the limiting factor in the park for several years as the environment heats up with earlier springs, there may be bare ground in the woods on either side of the road but a ribbon of ice in the road. These road have little base to them so the road needs to be bare and then a couple of weeks to melt out. So the park being "open for day use" is useless unless someone hoofs it in from Abol or the Nesowadnhunk, or takes a snowmachine or fat tire bike in. Acadia on the other hand is predominantly a drive in park that gets a lot of short term visits from out of state. Most visitors drive to the same places, park their cars and go to the same viewpoints. They also use the restrooms many of which do not have running water. Even in a normal year the Acadia staff have to keep the carriage roads closed this time of year for them to melt out and stabilize.

I was not trying to say BSP was "open" this time of year it's not really a day use park and since motels and hotels are placed where people congregate, it's unlikely you would have a place for day users to stay. I don't recall a whole lot of condos in Millinocket. BSP is a place where besides campers you do get people staying nearby, not just in BSP. There was talk that since the ATC is trying to get thru-hikers to delay their spring start dates there would be a rush of south bounders. There is no guarantee that June will be open either. I hope that's wrong, but no one knows.