Big list of WMNF toilet facility closures

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
http://indepthnh.org/2020/03/27/white-mountain-national-forest-shuts-down-some-recreation-sites/

Its probably expected but WMNF has closed down toilet facilities at the majority of the trailheads. It also includes Barnes Field which will make winter camping problematical.

Sadly my guess is folks will still go to these locations and will end up using the woods and many will not be using LNT principles. I do not expect the Cog is an "essential business" so they most likely will not operating. Pinkham is also closed so anyone heading up Washington had better make plans

From the WMNF Facebook page earlier today:

Today, Saturday, we're seeing summer levels of traffic on the Kancamagus Scenic Byway, with trailhead parking lots overflowing onto the roadway.

The White Mountain National Forest asks the public to please recreate responsibly while following CDC calls for social distancing. Law enforcement and search and rescue operations may be limited due to COVID-19 issues. High-risk activities such as rock climbing, etc. or backcountry activities that increase your chance of injury or distress should be avoided.

Please visit www.fs.usda.gov/whitemountain for White Mountain NF information. We also encourage you to follow public health guidelines regarding social distancing while you recreate in National Forests.

I was very surprised to see the bathroom facilities at Monadnock open yesterday. Initially thought TP litter along the trails would be an issue since there are just so many folks there for this time of year, then I remembered that most of these folks don't even have water so maybe my fears are unfounded. Mgt did posted the attached a sign in the middle of the White Dot Trail, near the old hiker's cabin. I sat there for 10-15mins when I got down and probably saw 50 people walk by it and not a one stopped to read it.
Covid has impacted Monadnock 3-28-20.jpg

WMUR had a drive by shot of the cars parked at Lincoln Woods along the Kanc from yesterday. It looked like a normal summer weekend.

http://indepthnh.org/2020/03/27/white-mountain-national-forest-shuts-down-some-recreation-sites/

Its probably expected but WMNF has closed down toilet facilities at the majority of the trailheads. It also includes Barnes Field which will make winter camping problematical.

Sadly my guess is folks will still go to these locations and will end up using the woods and many will not be using LNT principles. I do not expect the Cog is an "essential business" so they most likely will not operating. Pinkham is also closed so anyone heading up Washington had better make plans

Two+ week old story but the last time I went to NH I stopped at the outhouses at Beaver Brook just before Twin Mountain. I was very happy to see they were "open". As I walked up I realized someone had just ripped the board off the door. Not surprisingly it was used and in quite poor condition. Hope that doesn't become a trend too. :(

Two+ week old story but the last time I went to NH I stopped at the outhouses at Beaver Brook just before Twin Mountain. I was very happy to see they were "open". As I walked up I realized someone had just ripped the board off the door. Not surprisingly it was used and in quite poor condition. Hope that doesn't become a trend too. :(
Just what we don’t need is people dropping “Corona Virus infested Dukies” in the Spring snow pack. Stay home.

For all those flocking to trail heads citing they know better/are safer/better informed/listening to the gov't (lol) I say, "how's that been working out for you?"

This health care worker is here to offer a stark message - you don't know better, you are not better, you are not more entitled, you are not better informed if you are listening to this administration...please respect the small communities of the whites/daks/vt/maine/AT corridor by staying home staying LOCAL.

Thank you

Olympic National Forest in Washington has closed all trailheads. I wonder if this will happen in the White or Green Mountain National Forests?

Olympic National Forest in Washington has closed all trailheads. I wonder if this will happen in the White or Green Mountain National Forests?

It may have already begun. Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue (AVSAR)'s Facebook page had a post yesterday around 9 PM about MWAC closing the entire Eastern side of Mt Washington, Pinkham Notch Visitor center, etc. Fines and towing for parking in lots or on Rte 16, even possible jail time. I don't see this actual notice on MWAC yet but I really doubt it was an April Fool's joke. Would be in very poor taste considering the current environment. I assume they are just understaffed and haven't updated yet so other groups are getting the word out.

Since many of the trailheads are on state land including the AMC Pinkham Notch facilities there would have have to be a state closure which does not appear to be in place in order to enforce such an expanded ban as the state is the one that would have to be doing the ticketing and towing on state land. The FS could attempt it on the WMNF lots but their law enforcement folks are very limited. The AMC Pinkham Notch's facilities have been closed for a couple of weeks. The Cutler River Drainage was closed a few days ago (not that hard to do so). To expand the ban to the great gulf watershed would not be that difficult since 99% of the winter traffic goes in via the GG traihead and then the only remaining access would be Glen Boulder and Rocky Branch. Glen Boulder is not plowed, Rocky Branch is.

The Conway Daily Sun had a April Fools day edition yesterday and I expect many of the articles would be considered bad taste.

Since many of the trailheads are on state land including the AMC Pinkham Notch facilities there would have have to be a state closure which does not appear to be in place in order to enforce such an expanded ban as the state is the one that would have to be doing the ticketing and towing on state land. The FS could attempt it on the WMNF lots but their law enforcement folks are very limited. The AMC Pinkham Notch's facilities have been closed for a couple of weeks. The Cutler River Drainage was closed a few days ago (not that hard to do so). To expand the ban to the great gulf watershed would not be that difficult since 99% of the winter traffic goes in via the GG traihead and then the only remaining access would be Glen Boulder and Rocky Branch. Glen Boulder is not plowed, Rocky Branch is.

The Conway Daily Sun had a April Fools day edition yesterday and I expect many of the articles would be considered bad taste.

The post was pretty late in the day after the "April Fools" nonsense was largely over and they have had several pretty serious posts of late on similar topics. The post references Closure Order R9-22-20-02 and has other "CFR" and "U.S.C." references. It is basically Huntingtons, Tuckermans and Gulf Of Slides enveloped roughly by Auto Road, Tuckerman Ravine Trail, Davis Path And Glen Boulder trails with a "carve out" for the actual summit of Washington.

Here is the Facebook group link with the map and particulars (It's public so I believe non-Facebook people can view but I'm far from an expert on this stuff):

https://www.facebook.com/Androscogg...Q8GITwOaFwMZks8rbz-qhC40wcyoU&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARCwF28G2oHzXNQlqBCpsbKhoVXHRgcuD2thjx90xzSqX5aw5Kvqr8dNKgjoBDRDKWEDmmFwdSDkJP0pb7kFLEh5SolnXkYdEhCE8f9GNHdaPPUjzh7srmCzhD5W3ZGT4yU1st2ZSCCZCbgCD6SryDgRghW5GVSVHa5iBv1gr2PmJ5K62XZxqfp0aJGvcc23GQs5VqT0UIsTRx0aGHXHgZxKaV7mp5YiFIKjtHdk8ZMpkeQUuRH6NrYBx15wzl-MWthJUZ2ZLTlER5Bau8r9futK2jqV1nX6fqi9wWW-9xWbSacijog4cQN8FY2YDest8LZXMlVhD4_uEB4yigNr81UisGU_yMeW4rC2UIoM0HZFqdZMJND0Fui4IhGBggaiFrd-OqXh3e-a_ASqVVMrFEF4N8w-0sJDiTB5V4chk0GxFwXuXGl__D_P0dYC58wHxmhuG6Egq-U6GB15O6fEjJp8-HIx_g2qbWzlRUpNo9JMBujhdMNuGKdSc_RF-IECCLeWluCWoiytJGkLb0NAkwCWLA

Its the same closure of the Cutler River Drainage from a few days ago just with added emphasis that the parking lots are closed and the threat of towing on RT 16.

Its definitely a common sense move to scare the tourists out of the area, I am not so sure if it will scare the hardcores as they will go elsewhere.

Not a bathroom closure per se, but the powers that be have closed the access road to Waterville Valley ski area for unauthorized vehicles starting at the Tripoli Road split. I’d imagine this is to discourage use of the ski slopes, although it states on the accompanying sign that foot traffic is welcome at your own risk.

This of course affects a hike of Mt. Tecumseh and adds around 1.6mi round trip and ~250 feet.

Photo was taken on 3/31 and I know it was closed the day prior if not sooner.
D23583A5-7A38-479F-8E1F-A71CC765EE2B.jpg

Attachments

• AA033DFB-29D7-43B0-81F7-2425F287F7C6.jpg
    AA033DFB-29D7-43B0-81F7-2425F287F7C6.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
attachment.php

Swiped, off FaceBook, New England Hundred Highest group

Tim

Attachments

• 91212404_1634297926710832_8611903955309428736_n.jpg
    91212404_1634297926710832_8611903955309428736_n.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 307
Its the same closure of the Cutler River Drainage from a few days ago just with added emphasis that the parking lots are closed and the threat of towing on RT 16.

Its definitely a common sense move to scare the tourists out of the area, I am not so sure if it will scare the hardcores as they will go elsewhere.

Oh. When I saw "Cutler River Drainage" I think I took that as Raymond Cataract skiing area not realizing it encompassed the whole area. I didn't see a map in the original articles. Thanks for the clarification for a "flatlander". :)

Technically you are right there are actually a couple of drainages that flow north to the Androscoggin Water Shed and one that flow south to the Saco. The USFS has a long term no camping rule in the designated "Cutler River Drainage with the exception of Hermit Lakes lean tos and Harvard Cabin

One can only hope.

The Friday Conway Daily Sun mentions that Vail Corp has closed complete access to Attitash and working with the forest service to do the same at Wildcat. Wildcat is difficult as their lease calls for public access when the ski area is closed.