Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Big list of WMNF toilet facility closures

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,223

    Big list of WMNF toilet facility closures

    http://indepthnh.org/2020/03/27/whit...reation-sites/

    Its probably expected but WMNF has closed down toilet facilities at the majority of the trailheads. It also includes Barnes Field which will make winter camping problematical.

    Sadly my guess is folks will still go to these locations and will end up using the woods and many will not be using LNT principles. I do not expect the Cog is an "essential business" so they most likely will not operating. Pinkham is also closed so anyone heading up Washington had better make plans

  2. #2
    Senior Member psmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chocorua, NH
    Posts
    557
    From the WMNF Facebook page earlier today:

    Today, Saturday, we're seeing summer levels of traffic on the Kancamagus Scenic Byway, with trailhead parking lots overflowing onto the roadway.

    The White Mountain National Forest asks the public to please recreate responsibly while following CDC calls for social distancing. Law enforcement and search and rescue operations may be limited due to COVID-19 issues. High-risk activities such as rock climbing, etc. or backcountry activities that increase your chance of injury or distress should be avoided.

    Please visit www.fs.usda.gov/whitemountain for White Mountain NF information. We also encourage you to follow public health guidelines regarding social distancing while you recreate in National Forests.

  3. #3
    Senior Member kerry13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike on Monadnock's Red Spot Trail
    Posts
    334
    I was very surprised to see the bathroom facilities at Monadnock open yesterday. Initially thought TP litter along the trails would be an issue since there are just so many folks there for this time of year, then I remembered that most of these folks don't even have water so maybe my fears are unfounded. Mgt did posted the attached a sign in the middle of the White Dot Trail, near the old hiker's cabin. I sat there for 10-15mins when I got down and probably saw 50 people walk by it and not a one stopped to read it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Covid has impacted Monadnock 3-28-20.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	6350
    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery,
    Today is a gift, enjoy it!

    Kerry

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,223
    WMUR had a drive by shot of the cars parked at Lincoln Woods along the Kanc from yesterday. It looked like a normal summer weekend.

  5. #5
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,767
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    http://indepthnh.org/2020/03/27/whit...reation-sites/

    Its probably expected but WMNF has closed down toilet facilities at the majority of the trailheads. It also includes Barnes Field which will make winter camping problematical.

    Sadly my guess is folks will still go to these locations and will end up using the woods and many will not be using LNT principles. I do not expect the Cog is an "essential business" so they most likely will not operating. Pinkham is also closed so anyone heading up Washington had better make plans
    Two+ week old story but the last time I went to NH I stopped at the outhouses at Beaver Brook just before Twin Mountain. I was very happy to see they were "open". As I walked up I realized someone had just ripped the board off the door. Not surprisingly it was used and in quite poor condition. Hope that doesn't become a trend too.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  6. #6
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Posts
    2,600
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Two+ week old story but the last time I went to NH I stopped at the outhouses at Beaver Brook just before Twin Mountain. I was very happy to see they were "open". As I walked up I realized someone had just ripped the board off the door. Not surprisingly it was used and in quite poor condition. Hope that doesn't become a trend too.
    Just what we don’t need is people dropping “Corona Virus infested Dukies” in the Spring snow pack. Stay home.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  7. #7
    Senior Member una_dogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    4,519
    For all those flocking to trail heads citing they know better/are safer/better informed/listening to the gov't (lol) I say, "how's that been working out for you?"

    This health care worker is here to offer a stark message - you don't know better, you are not better, you are not more entitled, you are not better informed if you are listening to this administration...please respect the small communities of the whites/daks/vt/maine/AT corridor by staying home staying LOCAL.

    Thank you
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 331/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~RIP~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem NH4K

  8. #8
    Member JToll's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    40
    Olympic National Forest in Washington has closed all trailheads. I wonder if this will happen in the White or Green Mountain National Forests?

  9. #9
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,767
    Quote Originally Posted by JToll View Post
    Olympic National Forest in Washington has closed all trailheads. I wonder if this will happen in the White or Green Mountain National Forests?
    It may have already begun. Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue (AVSAR)'s Facebook page had a post yesterday around 9 PM about MWAC closing the entire Eastern side of Mt Washington, Pinkham Notch Visitor center, etc. Fines and towing for parking in lots or on Rte 16, even possible jail time. I don't see this actual notice on MWAC yet but I really doubt it was an April Fool's joke. Would be in very poor taste considering the current environment. I assume they are just understaffed and haven't updated yet so other groups are getting the word out.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,223
    Since many of the trailheads are on state land including the AMC Pinkham Notch facilities there would have have to be a state closure which does not appear to be in place in order to enforce such an expanded ban as the state is the one that would have to be doing the ticketing and towing on state land. The FS could attempt it on the WMNF lots but their law enforcement folks are very limited. The AMC Pinkham Notch's facilities have been closed for a couple of weeks. The Cutler River Drainage was closed a few days ago (not that hard to do so). To expand the ban to the great gulf watershed would not be that difficult since 99% of the winter traffic goes in via the GG traihead and then the only remaining access would be Glen Boulder and Rocky Branch. Glen Boulder is not plowed, Rocky Branch is.

    The Conway Daily Sun had a April Fools day edition yesterday and I expect many of the articles would be considered bad taste.

  11. #11
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,767
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Since many of the trailheads are on state land including the AMC Pinkham Notch facilities there would have have to be a state closure which does not appear to be in place in order to enforce such an expanded ban as the state is the one that would have to be doing the ticketing and towing on state land. The FS could attempt it on the WMNF lots but their law enforcement folks are very limited. The AMC Pinkham Notch's facilities have been closed for a couple of weeks. The Cutler River Drainage was closed a few days ago (not that hard to do so). To expand the ban to the great gulf watershed would not be that difficult since 99% of the winter traffic goes in via the GG traihead and then the only remaining access would be Glen Boulder and Rocky Branch. Glen Boulder is not plowed, Rocky Branch is.

    The Conway Daily Sun had a April Fools day edition yesterday and I expect many of the articles would be considered bad taste.
    The post was pretty late in the day after the "April Fools" nonsense was largely over and they have had several pretty serious posts of late on similar topics. The post references Closure Order R9-22-20-02 and has other "CFR" and "U.S.C." references. It is basically Huntingtons, Tuckermans and Gulf Of Slides enveloped roughly by Auto Road, Tuckerman Ravine Trail, Davis Path And Glen Boulder trails with a "carve out" for the actual summit of Washington.

    Here is the Facebook group link with the map and particulars (It's public so I believe non-Facebook people can view but I'm far from an expert on this stuff):

    https://www.facebook.com/Androscoggi...ref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARCwF28G2oHzXNQlqBCpsbKhoVXHRgcuD2thjx90xzSqX5 aw5Kvqr8dNKgjoBDRDKWEDmmFwdSDkJP0pb7kFLEh5SolnXkYd EhCE8f9GNHdaPPUjzh7srmCzhD5W3ZGT4yU1st2ZSCCZCbgCD6 SryDgRghW5GVSVHa5iBv1gr2PmJ5K62XZxqfp0aJGvcc23GQs5 VqT0UIsTRx0aGHXHgZxKaV7mp5YiFIKjtHdk8ZMpkeQUuRH6Nr YBx15wzl-MWthJUZ2ZLTlER5Bau8r9futK2jqV1nX6fqi9wWW-9xWbSacijog4cQN8FY2YDest8LZXMlVhD4_uEB4yigNr81UisG U_yMeW4rC2UIoM0HZFqdZMJND0Fui4IhGBggaiFrd-OqXh3e-a_ASqVVMrFEF4N8w-0sJDiTB5V4chk0GxFwXuXGl__D_P0dYC58wHxmhuG6Egq-U6GB15O6fEjJp8-HIx_g2qbWzlRUpNo9JMBujhdMNuGKdSc_RF-IECCLeWluCWoiytJGkLb0NAkwCWLA
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  12. #12
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,767
    Actually MWAC has just updated with the closure notice: https://mountwashingtonavalanchecent...-and-closures/

    It says it applies to all activities but the boundaries certainly seem to be directed at skiiers.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,223
    Its the same closure of the Cutler River Drainage from a few days ago just with added emphasis that the parking lots are closed and the threat of towing on RT 16.

    Its definitely a common sense move to scare the tourists out of the area, I am not so sure if it will scare the hardcores as they will go elsewhere.

  14. #14
    Senior Member TDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Plymouth, NH
    Posts
    1,334
    Not a bathroom closure per se, but the powers that be have closed the access road to Waterville Valley ski area for unauthorized vehicles starting at the Tripoli Road split. I’d imagine this is to discourage use of the ski slopes, although it states on the accompanying sign that foot traffic is welcome at your own risk.

    This of course affects a hike of Mt. Tecumseh and adds around 1.6mi round trip and ~250 feet.

    Photo was taken on 3/31 and I know it was closed the day prior if not sooner.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D23583A5-7A38-479F-8E1F-A71CC765EE2B.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	6354
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AA033DFB-29D7-43B0-81F7-2425F287F7C6.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	6353  
    Last edited by TDawg; 04-02-2020 at 08:38 AM.

  15. #15
    Moderator bikehikeskifish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    5,732


    Swiped, off FaceBook, New England Hundred Highest group

    Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91212404_1634297926710832_8611903955309428736_n.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	6355  
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Similar Threads

  1. Toilet Paper in the backcountry
    By woodstrider in forum General Backcountry
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-14-2015, 03:51 PM
  2. REALLY bad news - Governor's list of NY park closures
    By Peakbagr in forum Q&A - New York
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 08:35 PM
  3. Evans Notch and other closures in WMNF
    By sardog1 in forum Q&A - New England
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-21-2009, 12:42 PM
  4. WMNF Road Closures
    By walker in forum Q&A - New England
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 03:23 PM
  5. WMNF Shelter, Cabin, Tentsite List
    By Waumbek in forum Q&A - New England
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 07:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •