Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No more Mount Washington avalanche forecasts; possible Tucks closure

No more Mount Washington avalanche forecasts; possible Tucks closure

No avy forecasts after today and high possibility of closing Cutler River Drainage by the end of this week; source.

Quote Originally Posted by jniehof View Post
    No avy forecasts after today and high possibility of closing Cutler River Drainage by the end of this week; source.
    SHUT IT DOWN! Stay home.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    I had actually looked late last week to see if the MWAC was still posting things. I was surprised they were.
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Probably a good idea as its probably the most attractive nuisance in the whites this time of year. Of course that might drive lesser skilled skiers into alternative locations that are less accessible. I hope Kings Ravine or the west side ravines do not become a replacement for Tucks.

Skiing Tucks would have to be the most crowded attraction left with the outlets closed. Even the busiest hiking trails aren't as congested & we don't sit on nearby rocks to watch people walk down trails
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    SHUT IT DOWN! Stay home.
    And post a FS dude at Pinkham with a stun gun.

Cause if it’s anything like beaches in FL (where I’m writing this) many of our fellow citizens need convincing to do the right thing.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Skiing Tucks would have to be the most crowded attraction left with the outlets closed. Even the busiest hiking trails aren't as congested & we don't sit on nearby rocks to watch people walk down trails
    Actually I've seen many reports of the Kanc and other spots with "summer peak" traffic activity, huge lines of cars along the roads at trail heads, etc. Saw an article about over 400 people skiing in Tuckermans recently. So there is definitely congestion happening, at least at parking areas.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

The link you posted seems to be broken. This is the same source. https://soundcloud.com/ski-the-white...0QEj260u76o8Q0
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    The link you posted seems to be broken. This is the same source.
    Worked when I posted it; works now. Not sure what's going on; JavaScript does have to be enabled.

Worked when I posted it; works now. Not sure what's going on; JavaScript does have to be enabled.
    Just trying to help. It was down here all day yesterday. Now it's back up. Like you said not sure what's going on. But hey I guess two links are better than one.

According to the Mt. Washington Avalanche Center's Facebook site, as of April 2, 2020, the entire east side of Mt. Washington is now closed, and anyone caught on it can be fined or arrested.

Brian

Specifically (and I cannot yet find it on the https://www.fs.usda.gov/whitemountain site)

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91572727_2830264543689811_7643138300324085760_n.jpg 
Views:	640 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	6352  
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

FYI, I made the trip down to Conway through Pinkham Notch to pick up an essential Ragged Mountain Equipment face mask today (Friday). The state has a portable display sign on the side of the road warning drivers that Tucks and parking lots are closed. The overflow lots south of Pinkham were never plowed and there is still snow pack in them. AMC has installed concrete barricades to the side lots. Wildcat was installing barricades at the entrance to the parking lot. No signage there.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    FYI, I made the trip down to Conway through Pinkham Notch to pick up an essential Ragged Mountain Equipment face mask today (Friday).
    Kudos to you well done! Supporting local manufacturing also. Not sure if this is the one you purchased. There was info posted on their FB Page yesterday about their Facemask. Looked like it was well made and innovative. https://raggedmountain.com/face-masks

Yes I bought local, Its a nice design. They got swamped with orders as the local paper had a article about them today. They normally do a lot of business in the spring during Tuckerman's season so I expect they appreciate the work. My guess is they are using up a lot of scrap fabric. No choice on colors.

Labonville's has their sewing factory in Gorham which is also making product for the local hospitals (no public sales). Wild Things also has a small facility in Gorham that also seems to be running, they apparently do a lot of government contract work and would not be surprised if they are not supporting making special product.