Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: No more Mount Washington avalanche forecasts; possible Tucks closure

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post

And Daytrip, Hartford isn't close to Woodstock, maybe Putnam & Danielson might be considered close. For distance to Hartford, you could be in either RI or MA from where you are. Time of day and traffic are considerations, whether driving or grocery shopping.
    Guess that depends what you consider close. Only a 45 minute ride and under 50 miles (about 46 actually). Worcester, Providence even Boston in good traffic is only an hour from my house. Traffic is everywhere. Trust me. There's plenty of cars and idiots in Putnam to increase my risk.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    If there is a silver lining in this mess there has been a big drop off in emissions world wide. Hopefully when all this is over companies reevaluate their operations given the success of working from home for so many people. Less emissions and more personal time not spent traveling is definitely a win/win outcome if it holds up.
    Along with an increase in disposables and a decrease in recycling

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Can I wear a mask under and over a old Cheevers hockey mask? I did see in the news someone wearing ski goggles while wearing a mask, and considering your eyes are a point that a virus could enter, it makes sense.
    A hockey mask probably is probably more effective at scaring other people than at filtering out the virus. On the other hand, enough people around here are sufficiently familiar with hockey masks that it might not work...

Ski goggles are in demand by medical personnel so I guess they are useful. https://gogglesfordocs.com/

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    I had not seen this mentioned here...

Baxter Park is now closed to camping and above tree line hiking until at least July 1.

Some day hiking will be allowed, but only walk-in access is possible. Gates are closed to vech traffic. (Now that will limit hiking for sure!)

New Park director does not want to expose staff and/or rescue personnel to Covid brought in by out of state guests.

Full article here...
    There is a separate thread started in this forum on the topic, which you probably already figured out by now.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul View Post
    (I aim for times with fewer people in the store if possible.)
    I think that is the most important factor. Both supermarkets in my area open at 6 for senior citizens (and I am very senior ) and I have found them practically empty at that time. Not only fewer people in store, but also has been deep cleaned overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul View Post
    A hockey mask probably is probably more effective at scaring other people than at filtering out the virus. On the other hand, enough people around here are sufficiently familiar with hockey masks that it might not work...

Ski goggles are in demand by medical personnel so I guess they are useful. https://gogglesfordocs.com/

Doug
    If I had to ride Mass Transit, I'd be wearing goggles also. Wonder if they are allowed on a plane?
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Being good or not at physical isolation is certainly going to vary from one individual to another. Coupled to that is individual risk assessment. Which certainly varies from one individual to the next. What might not seem risky to one may be extremely risky to another. Being hikers, climbers and skiers folks here some more than others more than likely have a higher threshold to risk tolerance. Unfortunately right now that could lead to a very slippery slope. Thinking that one may be able to fly in under the radar is IMO very selfish and completely ignorant to the fact that they are potentially endangering others.
    At some point people have to go out and get it. That's the only way to build up a population with immunities. You cant hide forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed Ellozy View Post
    I think that is the most important factor. Both supermarkets in my area open at 6 for senior citizens (and I am very senior ) and I have found them practically empty at that time. Not only fewer people in store, but also has been deep cleaned overnight.
    Also in the senior group--tried that and I had to wait in a 40 minute line at my favorite supermarket. On the way home (~8am by now) I scouted out a different supermarket and found no line.

Maybe I just need to frequent less popular supermarkets...

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    At some point people have to go out and get it. That's the only way to build up a population with immunities. You cant hide forever.

It's not the only way. I've never had measles but I'm immune to it.

Obviously getting exposed is the only way to develop immunity **right now**.

There will probably eventually be a vaccine. Experts say 12-18 months.

I think the point is obvious. Keeping the economy shut down for 12-18 months waiting for a vaccine will kill a whole lot more people than COVID19 will kill.

There is little evidence that "getting" it provides long term immunity. In fact there seems to be more evidence to the contrary - reinfection and/or reactivation seems possible.

OK...you first then! Only my opinion but this Virus seems quite dynamic. Iím no epidemiologist but taking a purely Darwinian approach to this seems rather simplistic in logic.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by OldEric View Post
    There is little evidence that "getting" it provides long term immunity. In fact there seems to be more evidence to the contrary - reinfection and/or reactivation seems possible.
    Those "reinfections" are being attributed to poor testing.

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/scienc...u-get-it-twice

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    Keeping the economy shut down for 12-18 months waiting for a vaccine will kill a whole lot more people than COVID19 will kill.
    I am very worried about the economy; family members have been laid off and my company is hurting.

That said, how does a second Great Depression kill more people than the virus? We have much stronger social safety net in this country than we had 100 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Murphy View Post
    how does a second Great Depression kill more people than the virus? We have much stronger social safety net in this country than we had 100 years ago.
    Not starvation, which is what the "safety net" can help prevent. Opioids and Alcohol.