No more Mount Washington avalanche forecasts; possible Tucks closure

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jniehof

Reaction score
No avy forecasts after today and high possibility of closing Cutler River Drainage by the end of this week; source.

Probably a good idea as its probably the most attractive nuisance in the whites this time of year. Of course that might drive lesser skilled skiers into alternative locations that are less accessible. I hope Kings Ravine or the west side ravines do not become a replacement for Tucks.

Skiing Tucks would have to be the most crowded attraction left with the outlets closed. Even the busiest hiking trails aren't as congested & we don't sit on nearby rocks to watch people walk down trails

SHUT IT DOWN! Stay home.

And post a FS dude at Pinkham with a stun gun.

Cause if it’s anything like beaches in FL (where I’m writing this) many of our fellow citizens need convincing to do the right thing.

Skiing Tucks would have to be the most crowded attraction left with the outlets closed. Even the busiest hiking trails aren't as congested & we don't sit on nearby rocks to watch people walk down trails

Actually I've seen many reports of the Kanc and other spots with "summer peak" traffic activity, huge lines of cars along the roads at trail heads, etc. Saw an article about over 400 people skiing in Tuckermans recently. So there is definitely congestion happening, at least at parking areas.

Worked when I posted it; works now. Not sure what's going on; JavaScript does have to be enabled.
Just trying to help. It was down here all day yesterday. Now it's back up. Like you said not sure what's going on. But hey I guess two links are better than one.:D

According to the Mt. Washington Avalanche Center's Facebook site, as of April 2, 2020, the entire east side of Mt. Washington is now closed, and anyone caught on it can be fined or arrested.

Brian

Specifically (and I cannot yet find it on the https://www.fs.usda.gov/whitemountain site)

attachment.php

Tim

Attachments

• 91572727_2830264543689811_7643138300324085760_n.jpg
    91572727_2830264543689811_7643138300324085760_n.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 724
FYI, I made the trip down to Conway through Pinkham Notch to pick up an essential Ragged Mountain Equipment face mask today (Friday). The state has a portable display sign on the side of the road warning drivers that Tucks and parking lots are closed. The overflow lots south of Pinkham were never plowed and there is still snow pack in them. AMC has installed concrete barricades to the side lots. Wildcat was installing barricades at the entrance to the parking lot. No signage there.

FYI, I made the trip down to Conway through Pinkham Notch to pick up an essential Ragged Mountain Equipment face mask today (Friday).
Kudos to you well done! Supporting local manufacturing also. Not sure if this is the one you purchased. There was info posted on their FB Page yesterday about their Facemask. Looked like it was well made and innovative. https://raggedmountain.com/face-masks

Yes I bought local, Its a nice design. They got swamped with orders as the local paper had a article about them today. They normally do a lot of business in the spring during Tuckerman's season so I expect they appreciate the work. My guess is they are using up a lot of scrap fabric. No choice on colors.

Labonville's has their sewing factory in Gorham which is also making product for the local hospitals (no public sales). Wild Things also has a small facility in Gorham that also seems to be running, they apparently do a lot of government contract work and would not be surprised if they are not supporting making special product.

I suspect the Cog lot will be blocked off soon as people will move over to the other side, even if just to climb Monroe with the summit closed. Washington is seldom the place to go for social distancing even before when it was open. Of all my trips there, only once did I just see two other people up there. A weekday fall trip in the 90's with ice forced the road to close and cloud cover kept train passengers from paying money to see nothing. Early AM winds kept hikers down and when we got up, the wind had let up some. Oddly the three people, me and a hiker from Ohio I met for the trip and the Park Employee at the top were all named Mike.

The Obs is now suspending afternoon Higher Summits Forecast in an effort to discourage Back Country Travel. https://www.mountwashington.org/experience-the-weather/higher-summit-forecast.aspx
Do we really have any backcountry locally? Maybe Northern Maine & north of 110 & some of the ADK's.

I knew what you meant though. Will Fish & Game double or triple the fees for rescues? Have any of the tourist needed rescues yet? Last one publicized here was a NH resident, does that make it better? She was from Bartlett so she was local.

Are we all selfish if we continue to climb mountains? If I get hurt locally tripping over a rock in a remote area while I am social distancing, is that better? No answers, no one has any, however it seems some are unwilling to adapt their behavior in a crisis. The out of state license plates are easy to identify. If you traveled 70 or 80 miles in state is that any better. (You can't do that in RI in a straight line, in ME or NY you could drive 300 or more & stay in state)

Do we really have any backcountry locally? Maybe Northern Maine & north of 110 & some of the ADK's.

I knew what you meant though. Will Fish & Game double or triple the fees for rescues? Have any of the tourist needed rescues yet? Last one publicized here was a NH resident, does that make it better? She was from Bartlett so she was local.

Are we all selfish if we continue to climb mountains? If I get hurt locally tripping over a rock in a remote area while I am social distancing, is that better? No answers, no one has any, however it seems some are unwilling to adapt their behavior in a crisis. The out of state license plates are easy to identify. If you traveled 70 or 80 miles in state is that any better. (You can't do that in RI in a straight line, in ME or NY you could drive 300 or more & stay in state)

Not sure what your point is here Mike.

I personally think the directives are pretty clear and reflect common sense:

* Stay home
* Don't travel unnecessarily locally
* Limit social contact as much as possible
* Wear a mask to protect others (and maybe yourself)
* Keep physical distance between you and others

We can endlessly debate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. When lives are at risk that seems a futile proposition.

My point would be that cars at trailheads regardless of where they are from would be needless. Having an in state license plate does not mean they are local? I agree what's in place is clear and reflect common sense. I'm discouraged when Mayors and Governors in towns & states that rely on tourism make blanket policy against people who live close by but out of state. Discouraged that in some cases it's needed also because people are unable to stay out of bars or crowded beaches or off crowded summits. Discouraged that when local Mayors, (GA), make policy to protect their people, the Governor decides to open the beaches so people can travel to them.

This will continue for some time, I just heard today that one of the more popular NJ beach towns is closing their boardwalk until 7/1. I would expect Cape Cod, the Westerly beaches and others to follow suit. Thinking they picked 7/1 as they hope to save their busy season, however, as we see in South Korea and China, going back too soon can mean a new spike in infected people & a set back. This may be the new normal for quite some time. Vacations may be canceled & certainly the happiest place on earth (not for me but it's their slogan) will not be happy for sometime. At least one pundit has brought up the possibility that there will no NFL season either. Is anyone looking forward to a cruise or a plane trip anytime soon?

April's not even a great month for hiking up north any way.