Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 97

Thread: No more Mount Washington avalanche forecasts; possible Tucks closure

  1. #16
    Senior Member jniehof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dover,NH
    Posts
    1,081
    Burgeon in Lincoln is also sewing masks for health care and nonprofits; link in case anybody is associated with an organization that needs them. I've been sticking to a Buff; it's only one layer and form-fitting, but is good coverage and secure, so provides some protection.

  2. #17
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    2,879
    I suspect the Cog lot will be blocked off soon as people will move over to the other side, even if just to climb Monroe with the summit closed. Washington is seldom the place to go for social distancing even before when it was open. Of all my trips there, only once did I just see two other people up there. A weekday fall trip in the 90's with ice forced the road to close and cloud cover kept train passengers from paying money to see nothing. Early AM winds kept hikers down and when we got up, the wind had let up some. Oddly the three people, me and a hiker from Ohio I met for the trip and the Park Employee at the top were all named Mike.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  3. #18
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Posts
    2,563
    The Obs is now suspending afternoon Higher Summits Forecast in an effort to discourage Back Country Travel. https://www.mountwashington.org/expe...-forecast.aspx
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  4. #19
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    2,879
    Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    The Obs is now suspending afternoon Higher Summits Forecast in an effort to discourage Back Country Travel. https://www.mountwashington.org/expe...-forecast.aspx
    Do we really have any backcountry locally? Maybe Northern Maine & north of 110 & some of the ADK's.

    I knew what you meant though. Will Fish & Game double or triple the fees for rescues? Have any of the tourist needed rescues yet? Last one publicized here was a NH resident, does that make it better? She was from Bartlett so she was local.

    Are we all selfish if we continue to climb mountains? If I get hurt locally tripping over a rock in a remote area while I am social distancing, is that better? No answers, no one has any, however it seems some are unwilling to adapt their behavior in a crisis. The out of state license plates are easy to identify. If you traveled 70 or 80 miles in state is that any better. (You can't do that in RI in a straight line, in ME or NY you could drive 300 or more & stay in state)
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  5. #20
    Senior Member ChrisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Beginning and End
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Do we really have any backcountry locally? Maybe Northern Maine & north of 110 & some of the ADK's.

    I knew what you meant though. Will Fish & Game double or triple the fees for rescues? Have any of the tourist needed rescues yet? Last one publicized here was a NH resident, does that make it better? She was from Bartlett so she was local.

    Are we all selfish if we continue to climb mountains? If I get hurt locally tripping over a rock in a remote area while I am social distancing, is that better? No answers, no one has any, however it seems some are unwilling to adapt their behavior in a crisis. The out of state license plates are easy to identify. If you traveled 70 or 80 miles in state is that any better. (You can't do that in RI in a straight line, in ME or NY you could drive 300 or more & stay in state)
    Not sure what your point is here Mike.

    I personally think the directives are pretty clear and reflect common sense:

    * Stay home
    * Don't travel unnecessarily locally
    * Limit social contact as much as possible
    * Wear a mask to protect others (and maybe yourself)
    * Keep physical distance between you and others

    We can endlessly debate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. When lives are at risk that seems a futile proposition.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama
    .

  6. #21
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    2,879
    My point would be that cars at trailheads regardless of where they are from would be needless. Having an in state license plate does not mean they are local? I agree what's in place is clear and reflect common sense. I'm discouraged when Mayors and Governors in towns & states that rely on tourism make blanket policy against people who live close by but out of state. Discouraged that in some cases it's needed also because people are unable to stay out of bars or crowded beaches or off crowded summits. Discouraged that when local Mayors, (GA), make policy to protect their people, the Governor decides to open the beaches so people can travel to them.

    This will continue for some time, I just heard today that one of the more popular NJ beach towns is closing their boardwalk until 7/1. I would expect Cape Cod, the Westerly beaches and others to follow suit. Thinking they picked 7/1 as they hope to save their busy season, however, as we see in South Korea and China, going back too soon can mean a new spike in infected people & a set back. This may be the new normal for quite some time. Vacations may be canceled & certainly the happiest place on earth (not for me but it's their slogan) will not be happy for sometime. At least one pundit has brought up the possibility that there will no NFL season either. Is anyone looking forward to a cruise or a plane trip anytime soon?

    April's not even a great month for hiking up north any way.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  7. #22
    Senior Member TJsName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Posts
    2,068
    Looks like another confirmed case in Coos County, this time in Randolph. https://www.nh.gov/covid19/ No details, just a number. Hope they got tested quickly without exposing other locals.
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

  8. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MA & NH
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    My point would be that cars at trailheads regardless of where they are from would be needless. Having an in state license plate does not mean they are local? I agree what's in place is clear and reflect common sense. I'm discouraged when Mayors and Governors in towns & states that rely on tourism make blanket policy against people who live close by but out of state. Discouraged that in some cases it's needed also because people are unable to stay out of bars or crowded beaches or off crowded summits. Discouraged that when local Mayors, (GA), make policy to protect their people, the Governor decides to open the beaches so people can travel to them.

    This will continue for some time, I just heard today that one of the more popular NJ beach towns is closing their boardwalk until 7/1. I would expect Cape Cod, the Westerly beaches and others to follow suit. Thinking they picked 7/1 as they hope to save their busy season, however, as we see in South Korea and China, going back too soon can mean a new spike in infected people & a set back. This may be the new normal for quite some time. Vacations may be canceled & certainly the happiest place on earth (not for me but it's their slogan) will not be happy for sometime. At least one pundit has brought up the possibility that there will no NFL season either. Is anyone looking forward to a cruise or a plane trip anytime soon?

    April's not even a great month for hiking up north any way.
    As I said in another thread, people are incapable of social distancing regardless of what the gov tells them they should and shouldn't do. Until there's a vaccine, staying away from others is the new normal if you want to stay healthy. Of course, economic considerations are relevant as well. Many folks have jobs that require a certain amount of contact and we can't keep the economy suppressed indefinitely. Thus, vaccine is the critical path to getting back to normal.

  9. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,154
    Randolph is a very small town with no real places to gather even if someone wanted to. About the only gathering place is the town hall/library and possibly Lowe's Store . There have been concerns about the early return of summer residents from outside the area and all property owners in town received a request in the mail that anyone considering moving up early should not and anyone doing so would need to do a total 14 day lock down, with zero exceptions. No doubt the year rounders who tend to keep an eye on the summer places in the off season have very good idea or any earlybirds. Many of the summer places are not winterized and may not even have running water yet.

    I did notice the person in my neighborhood from NYC who has maintained a spare home since just after Sept 11th, has moved up and now has NH plates on her big black SUV which previously had very obvious orange and black plates.

  10. #25
    Senior Member TCD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,881
    Quote Originally Posted by NHClimber View Post
    As I said in another thread, people are incapable of social distancing regardless of what the gov tells them they should and shouldn't do. Until there's a vaccine, staying away from others is the new normal if you want to stay healthy. Of course, economic considerations are relevant as well. Many folks have jobs that require a certain amount of contact and we can't keep the economy suppressed indefinitely. Thus, vaccine is the critical path to getting back to normal.
    We should be aiming for "vaccine OR therapeutic drugs." The idea that a vaccine (which is 12-18 months away best case) is the *ONLY* solution guarantees the economic shutdown will progress into a great depression.

    Of note:

    >After 40 years of HIV, there is still no vaccine. Yet due to therapeutic drugs, many infected people are living normal lives.

    >The seasonal flu vaccine varies widely in effectiveness from year to year, due to the difficulty of guessing which strain is coming. Some years, 75% effective; other years, 15% effective. Annual flu deaths average 37K over the last ten years. So while there is alway "a vaccine" we have come to understand that we cannot count on its effectiveness.

    I don't want to put all our eggs in only one basket.

  11. #26
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,742
    Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    We should be aiming for "vaccine OR therapeutic drugs." The idea that a vaccine (which is 12-18 months away best case) is the *ONLY* solution guarantees the economic shutdown will progress into a great depression.

    Of note:

    >After 40 years of HIV, there is still no vaccine. Yet due to therapeutic drugs, many infected people are living normal lives.

    >The seasonal flu vaccine varies widely in effectiveness from year to year, due to the difficulty of guessing which strain is coming. Some years, 75% effective; other years, 15% effective. Annual flu deaths average 37K over the last ten years. So while there is alway "a vaccine" we have come to understand that we cannot count on its effectiveness.

    I don't want to put all our eggs in only one basket.
    Wholeheartedly agree with this. If we can manage the symptoms and guarantee positive outcomes when someone gets it I'll feel much better about interacting with the public again. I never get the annual flu vaccine because it seems, at least anecdotally in my experience, you get the flu anyway even if you have the vaccine. Feels like a money making thing to me for pharmaceutical companies. Again, my un-researched opnion.

    I'd also add that until we can massively scale up testing for everyone (not just symptomatic people) and properly identify who has the virus, who is carrying it and who may be immune from the antibodies it is hard to imagine a return to "business as usual". This unfortunately doesn't seem like it will be happening anytime soon either, although at least we're seeing developments on that front.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; NY 46: 6/46

  12. #27
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    2,879
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Wholeheartedly agree with this. If we can manage the symptoms and guarantee positive outcomes when someone gets it I'll feel much better about interacting with the public again. I never get the annual flu vaccine because it seems, at least anecdotally in my experience, you get the flu anyway even if you have the vaccine. Feels like a money making thing to me for pharmaceutical companies. Again, my un-researched opnion.

    I'd also add that until we can massively scale up testing for everyone (not just symptomatic people) and properly identify who has the virus, who is carrying it and who may be immune from the antibodies it is hard to imagine a return to "business as usual". This unfortunately doesn't seem like it will be happening anytime soon either, although at least we're seeing developments on that front.
    I agree with both. Not only did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night but I do play a pessimist in real life also. I suspect, because you can't have a rally socially distanced because it looks bad & others are pushing to open up before we can do anymore than take temperatures, I see a relapse happening & then the light goes on about having testing for most if not all instead of testing only just the ill, or rich.

    How will people tailgate or sit in crowded football stadiums or at NASCAR events? Who will invent a mask that will allow for consuming mass quantities and keeping the mask on at the same time? Someone from France with a pointy head perhaps?
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  13. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,154

  14. #29
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Posts
    2,563
    A statement from the 4000 footer committee: https://www.amc4000footer.org/?fbcli...HVgDHSBtEZRsKQ
    Last edited by skiguy; 04-13-2020 at 02:01 PM.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  15. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Ipswich, MA
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    A stamens from the 4000 footer committee: https://www.amc4000footer.org/?fbcli...HVgDHSBtEZRsKQ
    If this is the thing that makes people stay home it's 1) good and 2) really sad that making a peak not "count" towards an arbitrary list is a more effective deterrent than the increased possibility of killing people.

Similar Threads

  1. Is anyone ignoring the Mount Washington closure...
    By SherpaWill in forum Q&A - New England
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2020, 02:56 PM
  2. Tucks Headwall Avalanche
    By Maineman in forum Q&A - New England
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-01-2014, 03:06 PM
  3. Avalanche Warning for Tucks 4/29/10
    By dug in forum Q&A - New England
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 07:11 PM
  4. Tucks Ravine Trail Closure
    By Waumbek in forum Q&A - New England
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2006, 09:14 PM
  5. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 06:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •