Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: No more Mount Washington avalanche forecasts; possible Tucks closure

Sadly my guess is it will not. Folks look out their window at green grass in southern NH and Mass, assume its spring up north and hop in the car and hit their favorite spring trails.

Yeah, nothing will make a difference except vaccines or other treatments. Antibody-only hiking clubs, stores and brothels might be the future...

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    If this is the thing that makes people stay home it's 1) good and 2) really sad that making a peak not "count" towards an arbitrary list is a more effective deterrent than the increased possibility of killing people.
    That was my thought too. Exactly how important is a stupid patch for people? I miss the mountains because I miss the mountains, not because it's screwing up my Facebook bragging and my 4k spreadsheets. Good grief. What a screwed up world we are living in.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    That was my thought too. Exactly how important is a stupid patch for people? I miss the mountains because I miss the mountains, not because it's screwing up my Facebook bragging and my 4k spreadsheets. Good grief. What a screwed up world we are living in.
    Different strokes for differnt folks HYOH.

You-know-you-are-a-peakbagger-when
    You-know-you-are-NOT-a-peakbagger-when

I am disappointed, but not devestated, that I am asked not to hike in April (and likely May) of this year... Yes, I am a peakbagger and most of my outstanding grid peaks fall into these two months, and I budgeted work and family time to dent them this year, and it's not gonna happen.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

And now we of course will now need to go to the Mickey Dolennz line from the Monkees TV show that you may recognize in a later version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFwprS_L6tg

or a variation from Weird Al's UHF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BFKXTFX90U
    Last edited by peakbagger; 04-13-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    And now we of course will now need to go to the Mickey Dolennz line from the Monkees TV show that you may recognize in a later version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFwprS_L6tg

or a variation from Weird Al's UHF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BFKXTFX90U
    Hmmm...kind of reminds me of the old days.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    Different strokes for differnt folks HYOH.

You-know-you-are-a-peakbagger-when
    You-know-you-are-NOT-a-peakbagger-when

I am disappointed, but not devestated, that I am asked not to hike in April (and likely May) of this year... Yes, I am a peakbagger and most of my outstanding grid peaks fall into these two months, and I budgeted work and family time to dent them this year, and it's not gonna happen.

Tim
    To be clear, I am referring to peak bagging during the shelter-in-place orders and the pandemic, not general peak bagging in normal times. Worrying about a list at a time like this and defying state guidance for a "check mark" seems pretty selfish and irresponsible. We all have plans that are getting trashed right now but we need to think big picture about it. "Hiking your own hike" right now could have grave consequences for other people and communities.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    To be clear, I am referring to peak bagging during the shelter-in-place orders and the pandemic, not general peak bagging in normal times. Worrying about a list at a time like this and defying state guidance for a "check mark" seems pretty selfish and irresponsible. We all have plans that are getting trashed right now but we need to think big picture about it. "Hiking your own hike" right now could have grave consequences for other people and communities.
    I was addressing I miss the mountains, not because it's screwing up my Facebook bragging and my 4k spreadsheets. -- and pointing out that for some people, that is important, and it's OK if they are disappointed. Not that it's OK to be selfish and go. Some people are telling others how to feel (not you nor VFTT specifically, but FB is full of 'them').

Do You Feel Like We Do?

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

This pandemic has brought out the best and worst in people for sure. I've unfollowed a few FB friends that became very aggressive, when I mentioned that I hiked. I'm pretty much following the guidelines and believe its very important to do so. That being said, I am driving a hour or so to hike. I don't stop going up or coming back. I do not see that as a problem. I am still working and need to get out on my days off. If I had to guess, things will not be normal for quite some time. I'm very disappointed in how this whole thing has been handled. They should be testing everyone to establish a baseline. That's the only way you can set up a plan of who works, what you can open up, right now they say, just stay home, not enough by a long stretch.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    It's a deep philosophical question that I see a lot of people struggle with: needs vs wants. People often conflate (often subconsciously) their 'wants' as 'needs' in order to justify an action, especially around materialistic things. I don't think people dispute the primary needs (food, water, air, etc.) that keep us biologically alive. It's the secondary needs where things get tricky and, I think where the debates (arguments) arise. Rather than debate the merit of everyone's perceived needs, I'd suggest a simple test to run through to confirm it's a need:

What happens if we don't do/get the thing?
    Are there alternatives to the thing to replace what is lost?

Using the hiking example:
    What happens if we don't hike? We might get bored; We lose fitness; etc. Being health, physically and mentally are obviously valid needs.
    Are there alternatives? Probably - there are other ways to stay fit and have fun. It might take some creativity/effort to find those

Suggesting that hiking is need feels like arguing that someone needs to eat pizza. The implied (and fallacious) argument is: We need to eat food to stay alive, and pizza is food, therefore we need to eat pizza to stay alive. Obviously, we don't need to eat pizza to stay alive. We want pizza. Or at least I do.
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    It's a deep philosophical question that I see a lot of people struggle with: needs vs wants. People often conflate (often subconsciously) their 'wants' as 'needs' in order to justify an action, especially around materialistic things. I don't think people dispute the primary needs (food, water, air, etc.) that keep us biologically alive. It's the secondary needs where things get tricky and, I think where the debates (arguments) arise. Rather than debate the merit of everyone's perceived needs, I'd suggest a simple test to run through to confirm it's a need:

What happens if we don't hike? We might get bored; We lose fitness; etc. Being health, physically and mentally are obviously valid needs.
    Are there alternatives? Probably - there are other ways to stay fit and have fun. It might take some creativity/effort to find those

Suggesting that hiking is need feels like arguing that someone needs to eat pizza. The implied (and fallacious) argument is: We need to eat food to stay alive, and pizza is food, therefore we need to eat pizza to stay alive. Obviously, we don't need to eat pizza to stay alive. We want pizza. Or at least I do.
    I find your post interesting, in that you come across as your opinion is fact. Let me put it this way, you go to your second home in NH correct? Is that really a need or a want? You obviously see it as a need or your theory holds no water. I really mean no offense, but I just found it interesting.

As the Italian in the room, Need, yes. (oddly my parents did the 23 & me & my 100% Italian Father's family lived in a part of Italy that during the empire apparently was invaded often....

Actually I was going to Quote bikehikeskifish's message, however, the pizza punchline better. Needing some time in nature to decompress may be a need and now a want. Whether you hike, bike, climb & how you hike, as we've seen some of us might consider what others do as a stroll or a death march depending on where you are on the curve.

As far as FB goes and social media goes, Social Media is neither. Commenting on people's cat videos, showing pictures of you hiking, drinking, what food you are eating & that you like RomCom's and Coke not Pepsi is not social. It's not a half hour phone call or skype or 8 hours hiking or sitting with anyone. As BHSF mentioned, people who don't know each other act anti-socially telling people what to do or feel insulated in saying things over the www knowing they may never see these people.

Considering that FB can not proof all the data on it for accuracy or sources, it's not media either.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    I find your post interesting, in that you come across as your opinion is fact. Let me put it this way, you go to your second home in NH correct? Is that really a need or a want? You obviously see it as a need or your theory holds no water. I really mean no offense, but I just found it interesting.
    No offense taken (and none meant by my post).

Re my trip to NH, it's absolutely a want. It's more convenient for working remote (my wife has an office space there), and us and the dogs have more outdoor space for those few hours that we're not working right now. I weigh the risks based on the information at hand and think they are acceptable. You appear to do the same with your hiking, and from what I've seen, most of my friends and acquaintances are doing with their activities. It sounds like you might have had some interactions with some black/white thinkers, whereas most of the people I have been communicating with seem to get the spirit of the rules.

We need to stay sane, it's a question of how we want to go about that. My comment was meant to get people to consider the want vs need question more carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    As the Italian in the room, Need, yes. (oddly my parents did the 23 & me & my 100% Italian Father's family lived in a part of Italy that during the empire apparently was invaded often....
    I assume this is the origin story of the first pizza delivery.

No offense taken (and none meant by my post).

Re my trip to NH, it's absolutely a want. It's more convenient for working remote (my wife has an office space there), and us and the dogs have more outdoor space for those few hours that we're not working right now. I weigh the risks based on the information at hand and think they are acceptable. You appear to do the same with your hiking, and from what I've seen, most of my friends and acquaintances are doing with their activities. It sounds like you might have had some interactions with some black/white thinkers, whereas most of the people I have been communicating with seem to get the spirit of the rules.

We need to stay sane, it's a question of how we want to go about that. My comment was meant to get people to consider the want vs need question more carefully.
    I think we are on the same page for sure. Your premise is a good one and yes, we all need to rethink some of our most basic life functions. I (don't laugh) love grocery shopping. I find it therapeutic and relaxing, not anymore. Now its the number one task, I would rather not do. I've gone from being a single guy, going every 3 days or so, to going every 8 days or so and stocking up when I go to limit my exposure. I think my risk to myself and others when I hike is very low, but that's because I have thought it through and make it that way. Anywho, good exchange here, we all are learning and adapting as we go through this.