Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: First tick of the season

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Member TJsName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Posts
    2,074

    First tick of the season

    Walking along the Swift River in Tamworth today and came back with a tick. Was dismayed to see it's a deer tick too. I guess it's officially spring.

    I didn't think deer ticks were common north of the lakes region, so maybe I just go lucky. Last year the dog ticks were very prevalent, so maybe we didn't even notice a deer tick here and there.
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

  2. #2
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,767
    Got my first dose of ticks here in CT too on SUN. They are crazy this time of year in my area. Took a couple of very short off trail side trips to get photos and they were all over me. Dozens. Even after picking pants clean at trail head I had two crawl across my hand on the drive home. Not sure on the species but the bodies were reddish color. Sized from pin head to maybe 1/8 inch or so. Creepy.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MA & NH
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Got my first dose of ticks here in CT too on SUN. They are crazy this time of year in my area. Took a couple of very short off trail side trips to get photos and they were all over me. Dozens. Even after picking pants clean at trail head I had two crawl across my hand on the drive home. Not sure on the species but the bodies were reddish color. Sized from pin head to maybe 1/8 inch or so. Creepy.
    Red are young deer ticks. They are slowly creeping north. In northeast NH we find about 20% seem to be deer vs. dog.

  4. #4
    Senior Member iAmKrzys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Got my first dose of ticks here in CT too on SUN. They are crazy this time of year in my area. Took a couple of very short off trail side trips to get photos and they were all over me. Dozens. Even after picking pants clean at trail head I had two crawl across my hand on the drive home. Not sure on the species but the bodies were reddish color. Sized from pin head to maybe 1/8 inch or so. Creepy.
    I'm not any expert on this but I believe tick females may lay thousands of eggs in one location. I imagine this could explain why one could pick up lots of them just coming close to such "nest", but that's just my speculation.

  5. #5
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,767
    Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    I'm not any expert on this but I believe tick females may lay thousands of eggs in one location. I imagine this could explain why one could pick up lots of them just coming close to such "nest", but that's just my speculation.
    May be true but it's just my area. NE CT is full of ticks. I've even picked up a few putting air in my tires in the driveway from dead leaves near the edge of driveway (not in the same spot more than 30 seconds). In snow-less Winters I've found them on my pants even in NOV, DEC and JAN if I walk the woods in my back yard. I don't remember it always being that bad but I get outside a lot more now than I used to so they have been that bad all along. Probably why I finally contracted Lyme disease for the first time last year.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,224
    I expect with the lack of snow cover south of the whites, its going to be bumper year for ticks. When I moved to Gorham NH in 1987 I was told there were no ticks in the area, I didnt see any locally for ten years until a hike along the former railroad track along the Androscoggin where my boots got covered with wood ticks since I had pants treated with permethrin. I didnt see any at home at my house which is near Randolph until 10 years ago but in the last five years I see many wood ticks in grassy areas. I now see them in Randolph at my wood lot. To date I have not seen a deer tick in the area but it may be related to a very low deer density. The whites historically have had few deer. I have had my home for 30 years and until last year I had never seen a deer in my neighborhood. I saw one near my garden and the next day discovered the deer had wiped out my string beans. There is a pretty good correlation between deer population and deer ticks.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    ... my boots got covered with wood ticks since I had pants treated with permethrin....
    I have had good luck with 7% permethrin that I spray on my hiking pants and on Mike's workpants. It's supposed to be good for a few washings, but I probably retreat every 3 or 4 washes. I mix it from a $39% solution that I get at Agway for about $15 per pint. I have also used this to treat cotton balls and placed them in toilet paper (I know hard to find now LOL) tubes and place them around my yard every 30 feet or so in the spring or fall. I put them in crooks and crannies where the mice are likely to take it. This made a considerable difference in the amount of deer tick I pulled off of my dog especially in the year following the application. It's cheap and it seems to be effective.

  8. #8
    Senior Member TJsName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Posts
    2,074
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I expect with the lack of snow cover south of the whites, its going to be bumper year for ticks. When I moved to Gorham NH in 1987 I was told there were no ticks in the area, I didnt see any locally for ten years until a hike along the former railroad track along the Androscoggin where my boots got covered with wood ticks since I had pants treated with permethrin. I didnt see any at home at my house which is near Randolph until 10 years ago but in the last five years I see many wood ticks in grassy areas. I now see them in Randolph at my wood lot. To date I have not seen a deer tick in the area but it may be related to a very low deer density. The whites historically have had few deer. I have had my home for 30 years and until last year I had never seen a deer in my neighborhood. I saw one near my garden and the next day discovered the deer had wiped out my string beans. There is a pretty good correlation between deer population and deer ticks.
    Interesting perspective - thanks for sharing. Never treated with permethrine before, but might be worth it now that we spend more time down low in the woods. Definitely lots of deer around our place, and since we had the line cleared, I expect we'll see even more in the meadows.
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

  9. #9
    Senior Member Scubahhh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Woodstock VT
    Posts
    236
    Oh no... Corona with Lyme!
    Add life to your years!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Grey J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chattanooga TN
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubahhh View Post
    Oh no... Corona with Lyme!
    That's a beauty right there Scubahhh! Nice one mate.
    "I am a pilgrim and a stranger"

  11. #11
    Senior Member Tom Rankin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Posts
    6,629
    Around here, tick season never ends...
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

  12. #12
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    2,915
    With people stepping off the trails more than usual when passing someone to keep to social distancing protocol, ticks are likely going to be more of an issue for a while. In CT the DEEP, who handles the state parks and forest recommended staying away from the busier parks that makes sense. One of those is Bluff Point, a near sea level park in Groton that has overlooks of Long Island Sound. It certainly is busy, the main trails though are old roads and they are still road width. Rail trails should allow passing without stepping into the brush.

    I saw this morning that Wal-mart is looking at instituting one way aisles to cut down on passing oncoming shoppers. For places like Bluff Point, (Franconia Ridge Loop, FW - OBP) with predominantly loop travel, might the states look at mandating one way travel on the loop?
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  13. #13
    Senior Member iAmKrzys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    I saw this morning that Wal-mart is looking at instituting one way aisles to cut down on passing oncoming shoppers. For places like Bluff Point, (Franconia Ridge Loop, FW - OBP) with predominantly loop travel, might the states look at mandating one way travel on the loop?
    There is a trail in Polish Tatra Mountains called Orla Perć that is considered by many to be one of the most difficult "regular" hiking trails in Poland and where many fatal accidents occurred. A number of years ago Tatra National Park introduced one-way direction on this trail in order to reduce the risk of accidents when hikers were passing each other.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,224
    Here is some good resources on treating clothes https://sectionhiker.com/treating-yo...th-permethrin/ This one discusses the soak method and buying a concentrated product and diluting it down. Its used for livestock and is far less expensive concentrated. The trade off with buying concentrated permethrin is that many of the products use an oil base that leaves a distinct oil odor on the clothes.

    The standard warnings, its toxic to cats when sprayed. Once dried on the clothes it is not toxic. It does not work on skin, skin oils deactivate it.

    There is a firm that you can send your clothes to and they will treat the gear. The treatment lasts longer albeit at higher cost and hassle factor.

  15. #15
    Senior Member DougPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bedford, MA; Avatar: eggs anyone?
    Posts
    10,704
    Good reference--REI and Sawyer also have some info on their websites, but this one is better.

    Permethrin is also toxic to many aquatic organisms, so don't spray near open water. Also any overspray or wind-blown spray can kill beneficial insects (bees etc).

    Deer ticks can be active any time the temps are above ~30F (~40F according to another source)--the time of year does not matter. I started treating my clothing several weeks ago.

    Given how warm this winter has been in the Boston suburbs, I probably should have been treating my clothing all winter...

    Doug

Similar Threads

  1. Tick Control
    By erugs in forum General Backcountry
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-2012, 03:13 PM
  2. Tick Talk
    By Hillwalker in forum General Backcountry
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-25-2011, 08:37 PM
  3. Tick Season 2011 has begun
    By bikehikeskifish in forum Q&A - New England
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-05-2011, 06:10 PM
  4. Dog owners: tick season (Lyme) has started in the Whites
    By Waumbek in forum General Backcountry
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-09-2005, 05:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •