Where to go - US protected Lands Map

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
For those looking for nearby lesser used public, private and conserved lands this map is an excellent resource as a start.
http://www.protectedlands.net/map/
If you click on a lot it will give you some limited info on what type of easement it is. It also lists if there is public access.

It lists protected lands with many types of protection. Its important to note that not all the lands shown are open to the public or have any services but it does flag possible spots, I saw several that even I did not realize were conserved right in my area.

Last edited:
That is pretty cool. Thanks for keeping up with so many topics and sharing the results of your research here for all. It's almost like I have a personal research assistant providing me with daily updates on topics of interest to me. Much appreciated, now more than ever.

I would rather be productive than ruminating on my mortality sitting around watching 24/7 media designed to get folks addicted.

For those looking for nearby lesser used public, private and conserved lands this map is an excellent resource as a start.
http://www.protectedlands.net/map/
If you click on a lot it will give you some limited info on what type of easement it is. It also lists if there is public access.

It lists protected lands with many types of protection. Its important to note that not all the lands shown are open to the public or have any services but it does flag possible spots, I saw several that even I did not realize were conserved right in my area.
Nice! I spot checked a couple of places in New Jersey and they are showing up. I just wish that one could zoom in more with protected lands layer still visible.

Nice! I spot checked a couple of places in New Jersey and they are showing up. I just wish that one could zoom in more with protected lands layer still visible.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding what you mean but there are +/- buttons that let you zoom in as close as you want with the shaded management areas still displayed. I dialed right into my local area to check specific areas.

Must be browser related, I also have the same limitation that I can only zoom down so far to about a town wide resolution and then the map defaults to a map without the boundaries.

Another NH based resource I use on occasion is the NH Granit online map server. The property tax maps for most of the NH towns are available as a layer. If I see a lot of small parcels in an area I want to research for a bushwhack its probably not great idea as small parcels usually imply development. It used to be available in the Stone Wall Mapper but it seems to be grayed out when I checked this morning. During some prior viewing I noticed that the maps were offset somewhat by about 30 feet from property boundaries that I recognized in the aerial view

It does take some drilling down and the property layers only appear when zoomed down to local region but worth the hassle if you have the time

https://granitview.unh.edu/html5viewer/index.html?viewer=granit_view If it doesnt go directly to Granit View, looks alogn the Data Bar and pick "Online Maps and Services, the "Granit View".

One the viewer comes up scroll over to "View Layers" Then drill down to the "Administrative and Political Boundaries", then "NH Parcel Mosaic" and the "Polygons" .

There are several other interesting layers including one showing USGS control points and of course the Lidar info.

Last edited:
It's certainly detailed, it even has the empty lot in our development left as open space per town guidelines.