Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Maine orders arrivals to self-quarantine and closes lodging

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Essex Co., Mass.
    Posts
    136

    Maine orders arrivals to self-quarantine and closes lodging

    From Portland Press Herald:


    Anyone arriving in Maine is being ordered to self-quarantine for 14 days, and hotels and other lodging operations have been forced to shut down to curtail visitors from outside the state.

    Gov. Janet Mills issued an executive order Friday mandating that anyone who comes to Maine, regardless of where they live, must self-quarantine for 14 days to help slow the spread of the new coronavirus infection. Anyone found in violation can be charged with a Class E crime and subject to a penalty of up to six months in jail and $1,000 fine, though Mills said she hoped compliance would be voluntary.

    The order also mandates the suspension of all lodging operations, including hotels, motels, bed-and-breakfasts, inns and short-term rentals, as well as RV parks and campgrounds. Lodging operators who violate the order will be “subject to appropriate penalties,” according to the news release announcing the order.

    The order for travelers to self-quarantine comes amid flaring tensions caused by people from other states coming to Maine to wait out the health crisis.
    Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991

  2. #2
    Senior Member Barkingcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Верхоянский хребет
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by srhigham View Post
    From Portland Press Herald:


    Anyone arriving in Maine is being ordered to self-quarantine for 14 days, and hotels and other lodging operations have been forced to shut down to curtail visitors from outside the state.

    Gov. Janet Mills issued an executive order Friday mandating that anyone who comes to Maine, regardless of where they live, must self-quarantine for 14 days to help slow the spread of the new coronavirus infection. Anyone found in violation can be charged with a Class E crime and subject to a penalty of up to six months in jail and $1,000 fine, though Mills said she hoped compliance would be voluntary.

    The order also mandates the suspension of all lodging operations, including hotels, motels, bed-and-breakfasts, inns and short-term rentals, as well as RV parks and campgrounds. Lodging operators who violate the order will be “subject to appropriate penalties,” according to the news release announcing the order.

    The order for travelers to self-quarantine comes amid flaring tensions caused by people from other states coming to Maine to wait out the health crisis.

    Thanks for the heads-up.

    Here in New Hampshire on Saturday, we were a bit surprised to see that the trailheads for even some of the normally quiet and usually secluded trails near our home were full of cars from out-of-state. Being a weekend, we were headed to some even more remote trails, and that worked fine.

  3. #3
    Senior Member TCD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,881
    Similar here in the ADKs. Quite a few cars (for the off season), lots of CT, MA and NJ plates in the mix. But similar to your experience, I was headed to a remote location, where I saw no one after leaving the parking pullout.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    2,880
    Curious how many of the NJ and CT hikers were expecting rotten snow and typical April conditions. I'm only to a point where I may drive a couple of towns over as nine trips in two weeks to the small local woodland is getting tiresome. If I was to drive further north, a weekday would seem a better idea. Above treeline, stepping off the trail by six feet would put you in the fragile vegetation unless you found rocks to step on.

    While it's calendar Spring everywhere, it's actual Spring here. I've been out the last two days in shorts & with no gloves or even glove liners. The daffodils are opening and the buds on the trees have color.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  5. #5
    Senior Member JustJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ipswich, Ma.
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    I'm only to a point where I may drive a couple of towns over as nine trips in two weeks to the small local woodland is getting tiresome.
    Same here. Haven't been to NH hiking since 3/18. I have several state forests and or parks within 10 miles. I also have Crane Beach which is now only open to residents only, just and Friday-Sunday. But all of that has already gotten old. I'm kinda of surprised from some of the above posts that out-a-staters are going to NH and NY. From what I'm reading on FB in all the hiking groups, I'd be afraid to leave my car, with it's MA plates, at a trail-head. There's seems to be a lot anger out there. I've been hiking everywhere in NH for decades and even on a weekend, know places I could go and possibly be the only one there. Plus, my car can get up and back easily without stopping for gas. And being a guy, bathroom breaks are a non-issue. I'm utterly conflicted between staying near home, or maybe once a week heading to something secluded up north.

    Tough times, for sure.
    Joe

  6. #6
    Member JToll's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    40
    I have made the decision to stay in Rhode Island. The state lands and Audubon are still open for now. This should provide hiking for a month. No elevation, but very few people also.

  7. #7
    Senior Member sierra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New hampshire
    Posts
    2,667
    I've been hiking my rail trail and through my town, wearing my pack. Its been ok. I snuck up north yesterday, very early. I only saw 2 people and gave them 10 ft. of space. I did not stop on the way up, or the way home. I will say this, the parking lot was almost full when I got down, they all went the same way on the loop so I missed them all. I wont go there again, off the beaten path is a must right now.

  8. #8
    Senior Member TJsName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Posts
    2,068
    I've been living in my place in NH since this started, but have to go back to MA for work for a couple days a week. Since our exposure is down there, we do our shopping down there and bring it up. Once we're up here, we just stay at the house and wander around the yard. We had some cutting done last fall, so picking up the leftover slash has been a nice substitute for hiking and going to the gym. We have a bottle of sanitizer in car to use before/after any interactions outside of the home (e.g., pumping gas).

    We're in quarantine when we're up here, and hopefully others do the same. Thankfully we have broadband and a fire pit for entertainment. Any lots of little projects, like setting up my weather station finally: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboa...ocalwx_pwsdash
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Essex Co., Mass.
    Posts
    136
    Ive also been reexploring all the nooks and crannies of my local state forests in Mass. As the snow disappears in N.H. and Maine, I'll be sorely tempted to go up to some obscure locations, but won't do it with my Mass.Plates.
    Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    CT Refugee now in NH
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by srhigham View Post
    Ive also been reexploring all the nooks and crannies of my local state forests in Mass. As the snow disappears in N.H. and Maine, I'll be sorely tempted to go up to some obscure locations, but won't do it with my Mass.Plates.
    Our governor in New Hampshire has just asked hotels to limit accomodations to essential workers. There are exceptions relating to domestic violence and staying for quarantine from family.


    link: https://www.necn.com/news/local/nh-g...ponse/2256563/

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,154
    My suspicion is that any imagined or real pushback about out of state plates at trailhead parking lots is somewhat directly proportional to the number of cars in the parking lot. Yes I have seen the various news articles that are long on opinions but short on actual reports. It makes for good headlines and the associated eyeballs.The Vinalhaven Maine event that seems to be cited frequently has gone viral, its not unusual for there to be occasional conflicts between long term islanders and summer residents, especially when the local lobster industry's collapse means it make sense for the locals to stay home instead of going out.

    During the governors comments regarding the ban his major basis for the lodging hotels and Air B&Bs is that Maine and VT had already done it and therefore NH had to do it to prevent the pandemic tourists/refugees from heading to NH.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 04-07-2020 at 05:09 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Posts
    2,564
    Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    I've been living in my place in NH since this started, but have to go back to MA for work for a couple days a week. Since our exposure is down there, we do our shopping down there and bring it up. Once we're up here, we just stay at the house and wander around the yard. We had some cutting done last fall, so picking up the leftover slash has been a nice substitute for hiking and going to the gym. We have a bottle of sanitizer in car to use before/after any interactions outside of the home (e.g., pumping gas).

    We're in quarantine when we're up here, and hopefully others do the same. Thankfully we have broadband and a fire pit for entertainment. Any lots of little projects, like setting up my weather station finally: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboa...ocalwx_pwsdash
    Not trying to create too much thread drift but what are you using for hardware on your Weather Station. The dashboard is rather savvy!
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  13. #13
    Senior Member TJsName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Posts
    2,068
    Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Not trying to create too much thread drift but what are you using for hardware on your Weather Station. The dashboard is rather savvy!
    It's an Ambient Weather 2902A. My wife's parents gave it to us as a birthday gift last year. Hard part was finding the time to work out the logistics to get it set-up (and where). I finally decided to use some leftover 2" PVC and drill a hole into one of the stumps to prop it up. Ended up using a forstner bit for the hole and a small shim to straiten it. The unit sits about 6-7' above the ground in a clearing near the house. It was a great quarantine project, and the data is really cool!
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

  14. #14
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    2,880
    Add TX to the list of states telling all visitors that they are expected to self quarantine for 14 days.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Ipswich, MA
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe View Post
    Same here. Haven't been to NH hiking since 3/18. I have several state forests and or parks within 10 miles. I also have Crane Beach which is now only open to residents only, just and Friday-Sunday. But all of that has already gotten old. I'm kinda of surprised from some of the above posts that out-a-staters are going to NH and NY. From what I'm reading on FB in all the hiking groups, I'd be afraid to leave my car, with it's MA plates, at a trail-head. There's seems to be a lot anger out there. I've been hiking everywhere in NH for decades and even on a weekend, know places I could go and possibly be the only one there. Plus, my car can get up and back easily without stopping for gas. And being a guy, bathroom breaks are a non-issue. I'm utterly conflicted between staying near home, or maybe once a week heading to something secluded up north.

    Tough times, for sure.
    I've never seen Willowdale or Dow Brook so busy. However, the lot for Hunsly Hills has been barren and I don't think anyone is crossing the street to Linebrook Woods from Willowdale.

Similar Threads

  1. Emeral Ash Borer Quarantine Zone Expands
    By peakbagger in forum Q&A - New England
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2018, 09:52 AM
  2. NH firewood quarantine
    By hikerbrian in forum Q&A - New England
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-13-2016, 01:16 PM
  3. Alpinist Mag Closes
    By Jeff in forum General Backcountry
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-21-2009, 04:52 PM
  4. New Boots - Doctor's Orders
    By spaddock in forum General Backcountry
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-19-2005, 09:25 PM
  5. Maine lodging
    By askus3 in forum Q&A - New England
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 02:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •