Thread: From Hiking to the ICU in a Few Short Days

From Hiking to the ICU in a Few Short Days

Here's a sobering virus story of a guy from MA who went from a healthy hiking lifestyle to fighting for his life within a few days.

The story does not mention which "mountain" he was hiking when he spiked a fever of 103. Nor does it say why he was hiking with a fever in the first place.

But we can safely assume that he was contagious during that mountain trip to wherever it was.

Thankfully he survived (so far) but the power of this virus to take you down is amazing. And he is "only" 50.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

Which mountain and what date.. Sounds like he is getting better. Seems that the fever spikes quickly. I know that I can't tell when I'm a degree or so off as there have been times I've been deferred to give blood due to having a fever of 99.7. I felt fine walking in.

What seems scary with Covid-19 is that people may feel fine for several days and be infected. With the lack of testing, you have no way of knowing who's been exposed & some may have it and not really get sick. You have to assume everyone may have it and you may have it so maintaining social distance is not just for yourself but for people you may interact with later. (For now, that's your family who's not elderly or in a nursing home)
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Of course that sobering story would also apply to the individual going shopping or any myriad of human activity. IMHO hiking is probably pretty low on the list for potentially giving it to someone else.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Of course that sobering story would also apply to the individual going shopping or any myriad of human activity. IMHO hiking is probably pretty low on the list for potentially giving it to someone else.
    Yes, lots of activities present opportunities to spread the virus, which is why people should only engage in essential activities, such as procuring food and medicine, and essential work.
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

That's why I avoid humans.... All kidding aside, any event where you are close to others would count.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.