Canoe Storage Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BISCUT

Reaction score
The virus has me working 4 long days on and 4 days off. Keeping to the Catskills for hikes until the situation allows farther travel out of state. Lot's of projects racing through the head on these hikes. Back in the day.....I took my last final for my undergrad and hopped in the truck (I lived in Western MA at the time) for the Allagash in ME. Ditched graduation ceremony to the ire of Mom!! On the way bought a new Old Town Discovery 164. I've had the canoe since and love it. My kids are 14 12 and 8. Time to get them canoe camping. I plan on buying another Old Town as we will need 2 canoes for our trips.

Winded I know but I'm bored. To the point now. I was wondering if anyone here has built a canoe/kayak stand. If so I'd be very grateful for a few images to design something off of.

Thanks!

SAE

The only canoes I've seen stored have been under people's decks. I've got four kayaks hung from my garage rafters using webbing & various types of I and J hooks. Two are single kayaks, of the two person kayaks, one is fairly light, the other is almost 90 pounds. Besides the webbing on that, I've backed that up with 8mm static rope doubled up.

I just inherited a family canoe that I need to do something with also, I may put it on wheels as my sunroom only has a low crawl space. If you want to see what I have in the garage, let me know & I'll take a couple of pictures.

I built a rack for our kayaks and boat along a wall in the garage.

Rack1.jpgRack2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200409_075127219.jpg
    IMG_20200409_075127219.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20200409_075150107.jpg
    IMG_20200409_075150107.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 52
Thanks! I was thinking something along an "A" design with 2x pressure treated for outdoor storage. Under deck is a great one BUT I use under my desk a s a patio space so that's a no go.

If you Google "outdoor canoe kayak rack with roof" you will get a lot of good ideas. I had a boat rack at my old residence "with a roof". Having over head coverage is much nicer and protective to your boat.

Last edited:
Nice storage rack briarpatch. I don't know about kayaks, but my understanding is that canoes should always be stored upside-down on the gunwales.

For a rotomolded kayak the recommendation is to stored them on their side. The boat should be on its gunwales. I had thoughts for a wider platform for the boat when building. But I didn't measure twice before cutting. In hindsight I should have been preparing for the build by watching The New Yankee Workshop instead of Survivorman.

Winded I know but I'm bored. To the point now. I was wondering if anyone here has built a canoe/kayak stand. If so I'd be very grateful for a few images to design something off of.
I made a simple canoe stand using 4 cinder blocks and a couple of 4-foot long pieces of 2x3 studs. Place two cinder blocks at each end of the canoe vertically, with the holes facing each other. Slide the 2x3 studs through the top holes. Place the canoe on the studs and tie it to the studs.

I built one out of 2x4 pressure treated stock lumber but don't have a photo. It has three levels, one for ladders etc., the other two for kayaks.

I started with 2 - 12' about 3' apart mounted on 6 pavers over a solid base. I used 4 - 8' lengthwise and 6 doubled up vertical pieces to create a box with 2x4 cross members to mount the boats on. I use standard strapping to enhance stability. It is fastened with bolts which will make it easy for me to disassemble and move, which I'm planning, at which time I will modify it to enable access from the sides instead of the ends.

If the concept interests you I can take a picture and maybe even find my initial sketches from when I built this about 10 years ago.

Boats should be stored and carried per the manufacturers' recommendations.

I have a fairly large high ceiling garage. I have rigged as many as five canoe supports up high using a couple of pulleys for each one. I support each canoe upside down from webbing straps and can lift all except the heavier guideboat by myself with a single rope. For the guideboat I either call upon my wife to help with one of the two ropes, or I arrange a couple of different height step ladders placed to ease it down one side a step at a time. You can find a pulley lift design online with a google search.

I built one out of 2x4 pressure treated stock lumber but don't have a photo. It has three levels, one for ladders etc., the other two for kayaks.

I started with 2 - 12' about 3' apart mounted on 6 pavers over a solid base. I used 4 - 8' lengthwise and 6 doubled up vertical pieces to create a box with 2x4 cross members to mount the boats on. I use standard strapping to enhance stability. It is fastened with bolts which will make it easy for me to disassemble and move, which I'm planning, at which time I will modify it to enable access from the sides instead of the ends.

If the concept interests you I can take a picture and maybe even find my initial sketches from when I built this about 10 years ago.

Boats should be stored and carried per the manufacturers' recommendations.

Stan,

Sure am interested! Thanks.

A quick look did not find the sketches but I took a few cell phone photo that your way will come soon.