Four Thousand Footer Committee / Grid: Peaks Will Not Count during COVID-19

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
4/12/20: New COVID-19 Temporary Rule ….
Four Thousand Footer Committee Statement

The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and after further consultation with AMC leadership, effective Monday, April 13 and continuing until the authorities in each state have lifted stay-at-home orders, we will not be accepting peaks ascended during this time period for the lists that we oversee: the White Mountain 4000-footer list (including the four-season award), the New England 4000-footer list, and the New England Hundred Highest list. In other words, any ascent made from now through the time that the stay-at-home orders are lifted will not “count” towards the completion of any of these lists. The current stay-at-home orders are in effect through May 4 in New Hampshire and Massacuhsetts; May 15 in Vermont; and May 1 in in Maine. Any or all of these could be extended.

Source: http://www.amc4000footer.org/

Effective, Monday, April 13, 2020.

The "Grid Trust" will support and observe the "Hiker Moratorium" in New Hampshire.
All lists. This will continue "Through to the end of the New Hampshire Corvid-19 [sic]
Stay at Home Order".

Take Care

Ed

www.48x12.com

Source: Hiker Ed e-mail

Tim

Last edited:
Good. The sooner we pull together on this the sooner it will pass.if we don’t , it will take longer.

Fingers Crossed this helps. I wonder if the majority of the traffic are people working on the list & if many of the Facebook Groups are doing so for the Badges.

If Facebook forbid posting those trips would that have any effect?
Winner, Winner! Considering they won't police political messages even if they are blatant lies, I'd bet on the sun setting this evening in the East & rising tomorrow in the West. :D

I don't see the same posted on The White Mountains Grid. And that would cut down the 4K peak-bagging even more.

The "Grid Trust" will support and observe the "Hiker Moratorium" in New Hampshire.
All lists. This will continue "Through to the end of the New Hampshire Corvid-19 [sic]
Stay at Home Order".

Take Care

Ed

www.48x12.com

I updated the OP to include this as well.

Tim

Last edited:
FWIW, At least one FB 4K page has started censoring posts ("Peakbragging") as a result of the Covid-19 Stay-At-Home order. It's not on Facebook, the platform provider, to enact this.

Tim

Stay at Home Order".

Take Care

Ed

www.48x12.com

I updated the OP to include this as well.

Tim

I went to 48X12 before posting, and didn't see anything. Still don't see what you posted.

I went to 48X12 before posting, and didn't see anything. Still don't see what you posted.

I checked as well, after receiving the e-mail (which I credited as the source in my posting). It's my belief that Ed himself doesn't update the grid web site nor does he "do" Facebook. He does maintain a list of "interested hikers" which receive emails on grid completions and similar topics that interest . . . him.

Tim

Its pretty radical if Ed is supporting this, I thought someone had to chain him to tree or put him in the hospital for another joint to be replaced to keep him from hiking;)

I've seen a few other hiking groups suspend their patch programs. I've been following the Northville Placid Trail group because I had hoped to do this year and they are not honoring patch requests/completions while under travel bans, etc. I thought I had seen that the Catskills or Adirondacks had done the same but I could be remembering that wrong.

Just an FYI that I've been in touch with the Over The Hill Hikers regarding this same approach for the 52WAV list. They are discussing but there's been no decision yet.

The only problem with waiting till now is that many have already gotten 'credit' for their hikes during the pandemic, and now many won't...

And on the other hand...

On the other hand, one of the Land Trusts local to my area has been sending out an e-mail to thier mailing list roughly once a week, each highlighting one of thier trails, with a link to the PDF map for the trail. And a link for "in case you'd like to donate".

TomK