Baxter opening delayed until at least July 1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was just reading this article. Real bummer. I wonder what impact this will have on late season reservations. If there will be a "crush" of interest or if people will just "write it off" for this season. I know the limited number of available slots probably limits this but there are usually enough openings to work a trip in during the week or on less popular weekends. Wonder if that won't be the case now.

General observations are that the park is not very busy in early June due to black flies. The summit trails did not open until June14th last year due to snow and many years they do not open until the end of May. The big use is by thru hikers and most thru hikers usually build in a buffer for late opening and schedule early to mid June so they don't get postponed due to the Hunt trail not being open. The park has to staff up substantially to prep for opening in the summer and expect that will be delayed. The Birches is not used by thru hikers but many share shelters and given the lack of running water in the park sanitization around the common pit toilets will be an issue.

That said I expect except for the big three trailheads (Abol KSC and Roaring Brook) there will be open spots in the park.

Last edited: