Question for anyone here who has had knee replacement...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaWill

Reaction score
In the next year I'm looking at having a partial knee replacement done in both of my knees. What I've looked at says it's around an 8-10 week time frame to full recovery. I was curious how long it was before those who have had it done got back to hiking 4,000 footers. Best case scenario for me would be to have the surgery in early March and be ready to hike in The Whites by July/August. Thank you.

Last edited:
I had a partial replacement in my right knee in February 2018 and was doing short flat hikes in about a month. I don't recall exactly when the first 4K was, but it was over that summer, so several months. But everyone is different and the recovery really hinges on how PT goes. The key is really sticking with it. In retrospect, I probably got going a bit earlier than I should have.

I had a partial replacement in my right knee in February 2018 and was doing short flat hikes in about a month. I don't recall exactly when the first 4K was, but it was over that summer, so several months. But everyone is different and the recovery really hinges on how PT goes. The key is really sticking with it. In retrospect, I probably got going a bit earlier than I should have.

Thank you. Another question I have is how is it now hiking two years post op?

I've known several people with knee and hip replacements and it was conclusive that the sooner you start using it and exercising, the better. However, in a couple incidents, overdoing it resulted in either corrective surgery or an even longer extended period of relative inactivity limited to PT type exercises. My personal conclusion was that if I ever needed such a surgery I would gradually and slowly build up to my objective, monitoring pain and strength, and that it is preferable to pass up a season than perhaps a lifetime of the level you'd like to be back at. ... and, if I ever have such a surgery, I hope someone will nag me about this post as I far excel at giving advice than taking it.

BTW, that's why I divided my time hiking and kayaking ... to distribute the ultimate damage to lower and upper body parts equitably.:eek:

I have been approved for a partial knee replacement. I can get it done, when I decide. Right now with what's going on, I decided to wait. Funny thing, I bought a really good brace, adopted a high energy dog. I'm putting in many more miles then I used too and its not really getting worse. I plan to have it dome after the fall, I can live without winter hiking, not the other three seasons.

I have sleeves that I wear working out and walking that help. I also just got a OA brace that is designed to take the weight off of the medial compartment of my knee, where there's no cartilage left. It seems to work pretty well, although it's a little big and clunky. Looking forward to trying it out hiking when everything calms down.
I have been approved for a partial knee replacement. I can get it done, when I decide. Right now with what's going on, I decided to wait. Funny thing, I bought a really good brace, adopted a high energy dog. I'm putting in many more miles then I used too and its not really getting worse. I plan to have it dome after the fall, I can live without winter hiking, not the other three seasons.

I have sleeves that I wear working out and walking that help. I also just got a OA brace that is designed to take the weight off of the medial compartment of my knee, where there's no cartilage left. It seems to work pretty well, although it's a little big and clunky. Looking forward to trying it out hiking when everything calms down.

I use the Don-Joy Bionic brace, its fantastic. I have a draw full of sleeves and they defiantly have their place, but a full on brace is key.

I use the Don-Joy Bionic brace, its fantastic. I have a draw full of sleeves and they defiantly have their place, but a full on brace is key.

The braces do help, but I don't want to depend on them forever. Once the cartilage is gone it's gone, and the longer there's bone on bone the worse the damage is, making the surgery more complicated and harder to recover from.

Last edited:
In the next year I'm looking at having a partial knee replacement done in both of my knees. What I've looked at says it's around an 8-10 week time frame to full recovery. I was curious how long it was before those who have had it done got back to hiking 4,000 footers. Best case scenario for me would be to have the surgery in early March and be ready to hike in The Whites by July/August. Thank you.

I had Total Knee replacement 7 yrs ago on my right knee then 4 yrs ago on my left knee. Do your therapy Or suffer never being able to walk or do normal again. Get out and walk walk and walk. You'll know when your pushing it. But you heal fast with the knees. My shoulder replacement was a much longer and harder to come back ordeal. Just the nature of the beast.

I was hiking Artists Bluff and many other not so steep or hard trails at 3 weeks. Walking plenty before. Use plenty of ice and elevation during recovery and after therapy and or hiking,walking,etc.

Thank you. Another question I have is how is it now hiking two years post op?
The joint itself is fine, rock-solid. I have some chronic tendinitis issues around the knee that flare up at times, but that's a separate issue. The only real things I am hyper-aware of on the trail are twisting it or any chance of falling. A fall has the potential to break the prothesis, which is bad because then it has to come out again and be replaced.