More trail closings?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are a global society, technology, consumerism and aerospace have made the planet smaller today than the US was back when the Spanish Flu hit 102 years ago. With trying to tip toe across the political mine field, the state of the political landscape and many media outlets pandering to a certain viewpoint are thriving on splitting the society up. Us and them, MA & NH, Libtard or Trumpster news across social media and online is meant to capture your eye quickly so sensational headlines/banners with stories slanted to their views. Is one side driving that train? That's up to you to decide, make up your mind. We get discussion about ratings nightly not empathy for the increasing deaths.
I agree. Make up your own mind. I’m empathetic to those that are media driven and to those That have lost love ones.

My own observations from Hillsborough County NH:

* Grocery stores - probably 25-33% of employees have masks and 33-55% of shoppers
* Convenience stores - on a bike ride this weekend, I stopped to get fluids - nobody in the store or pumping gas or anything had masks or gloves
* Occasionally, I see a driver around town wearing one
* At the service department of the car dealership - I wore my buff since I had my bike to leave my car. I think one service area employee had a mask on, the rest did not

I've driven only once for the service and 4 times for food over the last 6 weeks... but I am cycling and walking out of my house. I am 'lucky' that I sit at a computer for a living and can pretty much do that anywhere, so I am working at home.

I do miss the Whites, but I believe they will still be there.

I understand both the desire to go to the Whites, and the desire to keep people home.

I understand that many of these decisions have political bases (and thanks for keeping blatant politics out of it, I do appreciate that), and I also understand that for many politicians, this is a no-win situation. "(Re)Opening the state (country)" will please many but annoy many more. Same with keeping it closed.

I hope you all are healthy. I, and my family, are.

Tim

We're wearing masks in buildings in CT and at this point I'm shaking my head at yahoos who can't figure out what the arrow on the floor means in grocery stores. I'm not in gloves as there is a science in taking them off so you don't touch the outside of the glove. The grocery stores have staff at the doors wiping carriages with alcohol wipes.

No one knows who asymptomatic.

In Connecticut, you are not allowed in a store if you dont have a mask. Sonehow a couple got in the checkout area of HD without masks....people on line were pissed, very pissed. I left my mask off at Dunkin donuts and they waved me by.

What part of CT do you live in? In the Putnam area PPE use and social distancing is sketchy at best. Tons of stores where people are wearing ZERO PPE and plenty of parks where social distancing is not being followed. Granted, NE CT has about as low of a case count as anywhere in NE but it is still disrespectful to employees at stores that are exposed to hundreds of interactions a day.

I'm going to preemptively apologize for this being out of line, but I'll put it more bluntly:

->I don't agree with the theory "because my backyard sucks I'm going to yours".

(And, I am aware the posters are NOT advocating for that personally)

I believe the WMNF is a NATIONAL Park, i.e. it's not YOUR backyard, it's OUR back yard. "National parks belong to all Americans, and the National Park Service will welcome all Americans to experience their parks". :) And don't apologize for blunt. Blunt is easier to understand... and kinda fun too.

What part of CT do you live in? In the Putnam area PPE use and social distancing is sketchy at best. Tons of stores where people are wearing ZERO PPE and plenty of parks where social distancing is not being followed. Granted, NE CT has about as low of a case count as anywhere in NE but it is still disrespectful to employees at stores that are exposed to hundreds of interactions a day.

This was the Harwinton HD and East main st DD in Torrington. 99% of the people in HD had masks. Totally opposite Concord NH. Concord Target lot was full last weekend after there was a collective sense that the worst was over. I would say 10% wear masks. Completely different attitudes. Maybe CT residents hear more ambulances.

Isnt it a law in CT to wear a mask?

There have been second waves elsewhere. Imo, NH hasn't developed the fear that I saw in CT.

As far as the out of stater thing goes, it's just like the bristling at the people without masks at the HD checkout line. Nobody knows if they are shedding virus, but they are seen as a threat. Its fear that creates the anger. Has nothing to do with pleas for empathy.

Also the mayor of Great Barrington Mass told the New Yorkers who have second properties in the Berkshires to stay home too in a letter in the Pittsfield newspaper. The out of stater thing is not just about WMNF.

Last edited:
Isnt it a law in CT to wear a mask?

I don't believe it is technically. A lot of these "proclamations" are very ambiguously worded, with phrases such as "urged to" and "highly recommend", etc. This is the verbiage from the latest executive order:

"WHEREAS, public health experts have determined that wearing a cloth face covering may
prevent transmission by an infected person; and
WHEREAS, there exists a compelling interest, in order to limit the transmission of COVID-19,
in requiring the use of appropriate personal protective equipment in public places when and where
the risk of transmission is higher; and..."

So is that expressly stating it is illegal? The press release version of this basically said people "must" use a mask when maintaining a distance of 6' is not possible. It specified some specific transit situations where it is required (like taxis, busees, etc) but does not list any types of stores and it also lists several circumstances where you are not required to. So I guess <6' you should definitely, maybe be wearing one, unless you're exempted.

I'm glad to hear your area is taking the PPE thing seriously. I expect the closer you get to high exposure areas like NYC the rate of compliance is much higher. Unfortunately for many people out of sight is out of mind.

EDIT: I just found another article in which Ed Lamont states that ..."do hereby ORDER AND DIRECT" blah, blah, blah "where close contact is unavoidable" (emphasis was added in document - not me). It has all the same conditions as the press release did. There is no mention of the consequence of not complying. I'm no lawyer but I'm curious what the legal distinction would be between "ordering and directing" someone versus making said act "illegal". Maybe legally the governor can't technically do that? No idea. All I know is I'm wearing a mask when I can't maintain adequate social distance.

Last edited:
I believe the WMNF is a NATIONAL Park, i.e. it's not YOUR backyard, it's OUR back yard. "National parks belong to all Americans, and the National Park Service will welcome all Americans to experience their parks". :) And don't apologize for blunt. Blunt is easier to understand... and kinda fun too.

Indeed, and I gave it a lot of thought about using the term "backyard". I kept it because, while the Park is for all - getting there, parking there, the local resources used, and everything else BUT the actual Park is someone else's backyard.

The actual park is not someone else's backyard. The park is a communally owned park. The same is true of the roads that go to the park. In good times those local resources benefit from the park.

Indeed, and I gave it a lot of thought about using the term "backyard". I kept it because, while the Park is for all - getting there, parking there, the local resources used, and everything else BUT the actual Park is someone else's backyard.

I know. I was being intentionally ornery just to make a point. I miss the Whites quite a bit but I'll wait until the "all clear" is sounded before heading back. Don't forget to leave the key under the mat for me neighbor! :p

The White Mountain National Forest is actually a National Forest (United States Department of Agriculture) and not a National Park (United States Deparment of the Interior).

Yes, in good times, the economy of the communities surrounding the WMNF benefit from the visitors, as do I as a resident of the state, as those visitors pay rooms & meals taxes which fund the NH State Government. In these times, however, those same visitors are deemed to present a danger.

Tim

Colchester residents are doing well with masks, some with gloves, more the elderly and the young. Most, not all are good with one way aisles in grocery stores. I'm trying not to pass people in aisles, however, if someone is passing me and not social distancing, I'll pass them in the aisle if I can put them six feet behind me. last I looked we had 15 cases out of 16,061 in the latest breakdwn

One of the things I've been most shocked about in all of this is the xenophobia exhibited by my fellow citizens. It makes me feel shame for New Hampshire.

One of the things I've been most shocked about in all of this is the xenophobia exhibited by my fellow citizens. It makes me feel shame for New Hampshire.

Other social media has given Southern New Hampshire residents the same advice. Concord, Manchester, Bedford and anywhere south and east are technically hot spots--the orange and red on the maps follows population density pretty well. To be honest, I feel more comfortable shopping at the warehouse club in Tilton rather than Manchester.

Last edited:
The White Mountain National Forest is actually a National Forest (United States Department of Agriculture) and not a National Park (United States Deparment of the Interior).

Tim

Yes I know but isn't that distinction only to differentiate use terms for the property, with Parks being left "untouched" and Forest allowing other purposes? I believe right to access is the same. https://www.nationalforests.org/blo...x7BGnOkC3siDgczwjfrzlS9vVt2wvtJxoCEqAQAvD_BwE

Yes I know but isn't that distinction only to differentiate use terms for the property, with Parks being left "untouched" and Forest allowing other purposes? I believe right to access is the same. https://www.nationalforests.org/blo...x7BGnOkC3siDgczwjfrzlS9vVt2wvtJxoCEqAQAvD_BwE

Other purposes would allow different levels of access - logging for instance. Plus they are managed by different services (US Forest Service-USDA / Nation Park Service-Interior) and could have different rules. National Parks tend to attract larger crowds and concentrate them into much smaller areas.

SAR charges are not fines, they are recovery of costs. It still cost me money, but there is a difference.

Tim

I know this is a politically charged subject, and civil discourse is welcome, but kindly avoid the blatant, cheap shots - they don't really add any value and they cause some members to take offense. Cheap shots include

* Character attacks on leaders
* Disparaging comments about the political slant of sources

Do, however, feel free to bring up alternate policy ideas and cite alternate sources to make your (counter) point.

Thanks,
Tim