Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: More trail closings?

More trail closings?

A new notice was put up on the US Forrest Service website yesterday.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/white...d=FSEPRD729199

Looks like they are closing down more of the Forrest. Unfortunately, the Exhibit A link does not seem to be working.

Anybody have any real information?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    A new notice was put up on the US Forrest Service website yesterday.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/white...d=FSEPRD729199

Looks like they are closing down more of the Forrest. Unfortunately, the Exhibit A link does not seem to be working.

Anybody have any real information?
    More info here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/white...FV99mxWN040lx8
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Ah. Thanks.

" Trails would remain open, but only accessible by foot traffic in order to discourage long distance travel and to adhere to the State’s Stay Safe at Home orders. If you are able to walk to the trailhead without driving, you can access the trail."

Interesting.

Trails would remain open, but only accessible by foot traffic in order to discourage long distance travel and to adhere to the State’s Stay Safe at Home orders. If you are able to walk to the trailhead without driving, you can access the trail. Parking on most roads is prohibited. Remember to pack out what you pack in.

and

It is prohibited to enter, go into, or be upon any area, site, or trailhead designated in
    exhibit A, when it is posted as closed to public use, for the protection of public health
    and safety.

How does that work?!?

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Here are a few closures.

Trailheads: Direttissima, Great Gulf Wilderness, Imp, Kilkenny Ridge, Nelson Crag, Nineteen Mile Brook, Starr King, Unknown Pond South, Wild River/Basin, York Pond East, Ammonoosuc Ravine, Beaver Brook (Kinsman), Crawford Connector, Lincoln Woods, Osceola, Welch-Dickey, Zealand Rd.

Day use areas: Dolly Copp, Gilead, Glen Ellis, Great Gulf, Zealand picnic area.

Dispersed Sites: Gentian Pond, Mt. Cabot Cabin, Osgood, Rattle River, Rogers Ledge, Trident Col, Unknown Pond, Valley Way, Beaver Brook, Elize Brook, Garfield, Guyot, Kinsman Pond, Liberty Springs, Trapper John, Velvet Rocks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 3.01.18 PM.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	6388  

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    Trails would remain open, but only accessible by foot traffic in order to discourage long distance travel and to adhere to the State’s Stay Safe at Home orders. If you are able to walk to the trailhead without driving, you can access the trail. Parking on most roads is prohibited. Remember to pack out what you pack in.

and

It is prohibited to enter, go into, or be upon any area, site, or trailhead designated in
    exhibit A, when it is posted as closed to public use, for the protection of public health
    and safety.

How does that work?!?

Tim
    So, it seems, given the thumbnail I just posted, if anyone can read it, that the [I]trailheads/I] are closed, but not the trails themselves. In other words, the police are looking for cars at trailheads, not hikers on trails.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by B the Hiker View Post
    So, it seems, given the thumbnail I just posted, if anyone can read it, that the [I]trailheads/I] are closed, but not the trails themselves. In other words, the police are looking for cars at trailheads, not hikers on trails.

Brian
    Perhaps bushwhack from private property...like Old Osseo? (That's not to suggest to try and find it and park on private property) . Get dropped off along the Kanc and enter/exit anywhere but a trailhead.)

I'm surprised because the governor said that private campgrounds could basically decide on who to admit but there were constitutional issues with public campgrounds...I guess they will close the state campgrounds...wasnt paying attention since I dont use them

In other words - No hiking in the Whites. This is like saying it is still OK to go swimming but you are not allowed to be wet at any time while doing so.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

Plenty of open areas. The cog will make some money selling access permits since they have access to Jewell and Ammo trails and thus the Mt Washington concession. The RT2 trail heads are open. the Franconia Parkway lots are open. Moosilaukee is mostly open. I also got a kick at the Starr King Closure, most folks park along RT2 in the public lots and walk up to the summer trailhead. I guess if there is a gate they can lock they will. Note the Hancock Notch parking at the hairpin is not closed.

Just going to be a mess this weekend as the crowds arrive and have to find alternative places to go.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 04-24-2020 at 06:49 PM.

Call me cynical, but I see all the crowds converging on what's left open. Franconia Notch will be a mess, the Base Station as well. Appalachia tends to draw the more experienced crowd, but even there will get busy. The other smaller areas like the Belknaps might also feel the crunch. I was in the Ossipee Range and it wasn't to bad, that might change as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    In other words - No hiking in the Whites. This is like saying it is still OK to go swimming but you are not allowed to be wet at any time while doing so.
    And while at the beach don't stop moving and under no conditions are you to bask in the sun while not moving......Maybe best to keep car parked at home right now and not in the whites anyways.
    ne67/n.e.h.h.31/100w

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    Call me cynical, but I see all the crowds converging on what's left open. Franconia Notch will be a mess, the Base Station as well. Appalachia tends to draw the more experienced crowd, but even there will get busy. The other smaller areas like the Belknaps might also feel the crunch. I was in the Ossipee Range and it wasn't to bad, that might change as well.
    Exactly. The open trails will be packed.

Looks like the link to Exhibit A is finally working: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd729238.pdf

FYI, the closure cites 36 CFR 261.53(e) Special closures
    When provided in an order, it is prohibited to go into or be upon any area which is closed for the protection of Public health or safety.

More Trail Closings

I donít see Mt.Tom or Field closed or did I miss that?