More trail closings?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah. Thanks.

" Trails would remain open, but only accessible by foot traffic in order to discourage long distance travel and to adhere to the State’s Stay Safe at Home orders. If you are able to walk to the trailhead without driving, you can access the trail."

Interesting.

Trails would remain open, but only accessible by foot traffic in order to discourage long distance travel and to adhere to the State’s Stay Safe at Home orders. If you are able to walk to the trailhead without driving, you can access the trail. Parking on most roads is prohibited. Remember to pack out what you pack in.

and

It is prohibited to enter, go into, or be upon any area, site, or trailhead designated in
exhibit A, when it is posted as closed to public use, for the protection of public health
and safety.

How does that work?!?

Tim

Here are a few closures.

Trailheads: Direttissima, Great Gulf Wilderness, Imp, Kilkenny Ridge, Nelson Crag, Nineteen Mile Brook, Starr King, Unknown Pond South, Wild River/Basin, York Pond East, Ammonoosuc Ravine, Beaver Brook (Kinsman), Crawford Connector, Lincoln Woods, Osceola, Welch-Dickey, Zealand Rd.

Day use areas: Dolly Copp, Gilead, Glen Ellis, Great Gulf, Zealand picnic area.

Dispersed Sites: Gentian Pond, Mt. Cabot Cabin, Osgood, Rattle River, Rogers Ledge, Trident Col, Unknown Pond, Valley Way, Beaver Brook, Elize Brook, Garfield, Guyot, Kinsman Pond, Liberty Springs, Trapper John, Velvet Rocks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 3.01.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 3.01.18 PM.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 126
Trails would remain open, but only accessible by foot traffic in order to discourage long distance travel and to adhere to the State’s Stay Safe at Home orders. If you are able to walk to the trailhead without driving, you can access the trail. Parking on most roads is prohibited. Remember to pack out what you pack in.

and

It is prohibited to enter, go into, or be upon any area, site, or trailhead designated in
exhibit A, when it is posted as closed to public use, for the protection of public health
and safety.

How does that work?!?

Tim

So, it seems, given the thumbnail I just posted, if anyone can read it, that the trailheads/I] are closed, but not the trails themselves. In other words, the police are looking for cars at trailheads, not hikers on trails.

Brian

So, it seems, given the thumbnail I just posted, if anyone can read it, that the trailheads/I] are closed, but not the trails themselves. In other words, the police are looking for cars at trailheads, not hikers on trails.

Brian

Perhaps bushwhack from private property...like Old Osseo? (That's not to suggest to try and find it and park on private property) . Get dropped off along the Kanc and enter/exit anywhere but a trailhead.)

I'm surprised because the governor said that private campgrounds could basically decide on who to admit but there were constitutional issues with public campgrounds...I guess they will close the state campgrounds...wasnt paying attention since I dont use them

In other words - No hiking in the Whites. This is like saying it is still OK to go swimming but you are not allowed to be wet at any time while doing so.

Plenty of open areas. The cog will make some money selling access permits since they have access to Jewell and Ammo trails and thus the Mt Washington concession. The RT2 trail heads are open. the Franconia Parkway lots are open. Moosilaukee is mostly open. I also got a kick at the Starr King Closure, most folks park along RT2 in the public lots and walk up to the summer trailhead. I guess if there is a gate they can lock they will. Note the Hancock Notch parking at the hairpin is not closed.

Just going to be a mess this weekend as the crowds arrive and have to find alternative places to go.

Last edited:
Call me cynical, but I see all the crowds converging on what's left open. Franconia Notch will be a mess, the Base Station as well. Appalachia tends to draw the more experienced crowd, but even there will get busy. The other smaller areas like the Belknaps might also feel the crunch. I was in the Ossipee Range and it wasn't to bad, that might change as well.

In other words - No hiking in the Whites. This is like saying it is still OK to go swimming but you are not allowed to be wet at any time while doing so.
And while at the beach don't stop moving and under no conditions are you to bask in the sun while not moving......Maybe best to keep car parked at home right now and not in the whites anyways.

Call me cynical, but I see all the crowds converging on what's left open. Franconia Notch will be a mess, the Base Station as well. Appalachia tends to draw the more experienced crowd, but even there will get busy. The other smaller areas like the Belknaps might also feel the crunch. I was in the Ossipee Range and it wasn't to bad, that might change as well.

Exactly. The open trails will be packed.

Tom and Field trailheads are on AMC property (which will be mobbed). The Highland Center AMC lot used to be posted for guests only but never enforced. I did not see the signage when I was there earlier this winter (but wasnt looking very hard. The parking at the former railroad station is not signed and is not WMNF.

Therefore the WMNF can not close them unless AMC is on board. It is interesting to note that the Webster Jackson Trailhead is listed as closed despite being on State of NH Property.

Last edited:
Plenty of open areas. The cog will make some money selling access permits since they have access to Jewell and Ammo trails and thus the Mt Washington concession. The RT2 trail heads are open. the Franconia Parkway lots are open. Moosilaukee is mostly open. I also got a kick at the Starr King Closure, most folks park along RT2 in the public lots and walk up to the summer trailhead. I guess if there is a gate they can lock they will. Note the Hancock Notch parking at the hairpin is not closed.

Just going to be a mess this weekend as the crowds arrive and have to find alternative places to go.

So what was the goal of this order?? Take a huge piece of land where people can easily get out and socially distance, close it and funnel everyone to a handful of already hugely congested areas like Appalachia, Franconia, etc? How soon until those areas are closed because of social distancing problems and there are no options left? Seems counter productive.

I'd also be curious to see how many out of staters who are not even aware of this show up to hike and find closure notices everywhere. That should go over well. Someone has to post pictures from Appalachia and the Highland Center today.

These closures seem like nonsense to me. I haven't changed my hiking patterns and although some trails seem more popular, it has not been hard for me to social distance. I get out early or at odd times and park in the parking lot. I've worn a buff over my face as I pass others. Others give clearance or turn their backs. Before reading the list of closures I would have guessed Franconia Notch would have been closed. I hiked Kearsarge N at 2 PM, with 2 other cars in the lot on a Sunday. Looks like I will be getting dropped off at trailheads. Even the CDC recommends staying active and getting outside. Now that is being made more challenging. I have also read more than 1 article bout how unlikely it is to catch the virus while outdoors to begin with.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/visitors.html

How soon until those areas are closed because of social distancing problems and there are no options left? Seems counter productive.

I know you have had a conversation on another posting about staying at home--which many of us believe is needed to prevent the spread of the pandemic--so I will just answer your question and leave it at that: The goal is to leave hikers no options so they stay at home.

sigh, big f&(*()& sigh. You wonder if the goal is get everyone on the few that are open. If I drive from CT and find three trailheads closed, will I just go home or find an open one? I suspect that most of the ones not mentioned are regulated by the AMC as they lead to huts. The facilities have been closed since March. Better late than never by the USFS, what did they really think was going to happen a month ago.

I'm hoping to camp in late June, I wonder how this late notice will work? The dates on the website for no reservations only goes to 5/1, I suspect it will be pushed back but to when?

Disclaimer, while I think those who are protesting the states trying to keep people are alive are idiots and in most cases, politically opposite of my views, (so a small part of me is okay with them gathering all together to infect themselves....:eek:) as they keep ramping up the restrictions, I'm at least thinking of their POV. Are people hiking today, tomorrow and next week basically protesting this notice? Not sure the local USFS and local police & garages have the ability to block all the lots, ticket all of the lots and tow all the cars?

As for myself, today the CT River's Council is Virtual Camping, so I am camping in my own backyard. I refuse to wear a mask though while camping in my own backyard. Here's my site, now if I can only get some scouts to portage my canoe the mile and a quarter to navigable water.Waiting for High Tide.jpg

BTW, the campsites at present closed through 5/14.