Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: More trail closings?

I did not see the closings as feasible. The Whites cannot be closed, there are too many ways in. Yosemite, Baxter, those places have only a few entry points, its easy to regulate the traffic in. To be honest with the number of cases in NH and the risk when hiking, the decision to close the trails was a kneejerk reaction and a poor one at that. Yes you will have crowded trailheads, no different then the Walmart supercenter I drove by in Manchester with 400 cars in the lot. You cannot regulate common sense and to punish or restrict people who have it, is just not right. The term "thinning of the herd" seems to apply here.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey J View Post
    To blame Congress is to grossly over-simplify what has really been happening in the legislative branch over the last decade at least. However, venturing into a coherent counter argument will surely place me over the line of acceptable commentary in this forum. I also take issue with your blanket statement about the Presidency and a "lack of good leaders" over the past few decades. Comparisons of some recent occupants show very stark differences. Am I straddling the line Mr Moderator or have I already crossed it?
    Just want to say thank you for your reasonable statement. When I hear someone say "both sides", I immediately recoil because it's not based on a detailed observation. Enough about that. The problem all started when the federal response (WMNF) was in contrast to the state response. Monadnock is a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    I did not see the closings as feasible. The Whites cannot be closed, there are too many ways in. Yosemite, Baxter, those places have only a few entry points, its easy to regulate the traffic in. To be honest with the number of cases in NH and the risk when hiking, the decision to close the trails was a kneejerk reaction and a poor one at that. Yes you will have crowded trailheads, no different then the Walmart supercenter I drove by in Manchester with 400 cars in the lot. You cannot regulate common sense and to punish or restrict people who have it, is just not right. The term "thinning of the herd" seems to apply here.
    Yet I believe a secondary goal of trail closings was to protect the trails from the unusual foot traffic.
    AMC Region Leader, Carrigain
    Adopter, Shoal Pond Trail - Stillwater Jct. to mile 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by byron8 View Post
    Yet I believe a secondary goal of trail closings was to protect the trails from the unusual foot traffic.
    With all due respect, that makes no sense at all. As busy as they were, they were not holiday busy. They don't close them on The 4th, Labor day, Memorial day. They closed them in a panic, then realized it was a bad call. Hey, I appreciate they made the correction. Nothing worse then standing behind a bad decision.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    With all due respect, that makes no sense at all. As busy as they were, they were not holiday busy. They don't close them on The 4th, Labor day, Memorial day. They closed them in a panic, then realized it was a bad call. Hey, I appreciate they made the correction. Nothing worse then standing behind a bad decision.
    Trails are more fragile in spring, and the volume of hiking for this time of year is unusually high it appears (for some trails).
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

With all due respect back at you, I'm just saying as a volunteer for the AMC that this is in the back of their minds. Obviously, safety first. And obviously, the trails are not as busy as they might be after the snow is gone. You should see what it looks like in southern NH.
    AMC Region Leader, Carrigain
    Adopter, Shoal Pond Trail - Stillwater Jct. to mile 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    Trails are more fragile in spring, and the volume of hiking for this time of year is unusually high it appears (for some trails).
    The LT closes every year during this time just for that reason.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

I think we are seeing the "Perfect Storm" of trail use that no Fourth of July could provide:

1. Spring / mud season condx
    2. A record number of people out of work
    3. Cabin fever from stay-at-home rules and business closures
    4. Pent up desire to recreate away from other virus bait

WMNF here we come!!
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

Quote Originally Posted by byron8 View Post
    With all due respect back at you, I'm just saying as a volunteer for the AMC that this is in the back of their minds. Obviously, safety first. And obviously, the trails are not as busy as they might be after the snow is gone. You should see what it looks like in southern NH.
    I live in southern NH and have been hiking all over, so yes I have seen what's going on. I just don't agree that there is anything going on here, other then people wanting others to stay home. The trails are not being overrun, they are not being destroyed. Yes, some areas are busy, but not at levels that are any different then any other time. The only difference is there is a virus going on and everybody is freaking out. When the dust settles, everything will be just like it was before. The trails will be fine. If anything, people are overly sensitive because they are staying home and many others are not, its pure dissention.

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    Sorry, I've been out there and I don't agree with that.

Sorry, I've been out there and I don't agree with that.
    I'm not sure where you've been hiking, but I'm glad to hear keeping a safe distance hasn't been an issue. I have not been out so I don't have any first first accounts - just reports of people running into more people and full lots unexpectedly. In my experience, late April/early May hiking in the Whites (outside of Tucks) is typically pretty light.

I will say, the TrailsNH map for NH looks really weird right now: https://trailsnh.com/maps/index.php?...16,-71.39&z=10. This to me suggests that a lot of people are doing hikes that they wouldn't normally do, but that sample is biased by the type of people who submit trail reports and probably doesn't represent the general public's behavior.

I did not see the closings as feasible. The Whites cannot be closed, there are too many ways in. Yosemite, Baxter, those places have only a few entry points, its easy to regulate the traffic in.
    I strongly agree - the amount of effort it would take to enforce a closure like this is huge. It would require a fascist state to pull it off - I don't think the 4 WMNF (2 Pemi, 1 Saco, 1 Andro) law enforcement officers have the capacity nor the desire. Telling people what they can't do is a difficult proposition, as it leaves a lot of other, possible equally bad (or worse) options to choose from. I think a list of acceptable/recommended activities would stand a better chance of success.

Took a ride yesterday through North Conway, up and over the Kanc to Lincoln and back. Trying to find something to eat in Lincoln was pretty difficult. that may be a reason that not many people are hiking, no food! No, the trail heads were not overrun, I was able to park in the Lincoln Woods parking lot, which I think was the first time ever, Champney Falls was maybe half full. We saw the results of a motorcycle accident Just past the Hancock Mountain overlook on the way to Lincoln. Driver wasn't moving, curled up against the guard rail. That kind of put a damper on the drive. There were already enough people hanging around the accident blocking traffic that we kept going. Lots of motorcycles out. We stopped at the Covered Bridge ont he Kanc, something we probably driven by hundreds of times and Sunday, we made an effort to stop at those areas that didn't lead to a mountain that was on some list. it cost me $10 to fill up my car. Crazy!

I live in southern NH and have been hiking all over, so yes I have seen what's going on. I just don't agree that there is anything going on here, other then people wanting others to stay home. The trails are not being overrun, they are not being destroyed. Yes, some areas are busy, but not at levels that are any different then any other time. The only difference is there is a virus going on and everybody is freaking out. When the dust settles, everything will be just like it was before. The trails will be fine. If anything, people are overly sensitive because they are staying home and many others are not, its pure dissention.
    While your individual experience is clearly different, to say overall trail use hasn't been higher than usual is willful ignorance. Lots that usually lay empty have been spilling out onto roadways. Perhaps the usual lots that are always busy anyway are seeing continued overuse but trails and networks that are typically off the beaten path are seeing more traffic than they would otherwise.

There is a significant risk to our hiking trails with the current situation.

WMNF hiking trails are only designed to have a corridor 3 to 4 feet wide and a footbed closer to 1.5 feet wide.

"Social distancing" of 6 feet will result in trails that are 8+ feet wide. Stepping off the footbed (trail creep) results in killing vegetation, damaging root systems, and compacting soil. It only takes a few people stepping in the same place off trail to create this damage. Active trails cannot naturally recover from this damage. Rather, a pendulum swings and pretty soon the damage escalates, taking a once-nice trail into an ugly, eroded mess.

Please think before you step off trail.