Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: More trail closings?

I don't know what you do with shelters, lean-to's cabins etc.

Youth groups, I'm a scout leader, do ski trips where the group sleeps in ski lodges after the resort closes and we are packed before they open. There is no time to disinfect after they close at night or disinfect between when the group wakes up and the resort is open to the general public. I'm thinking these trips are done.

Additionally Scout Camps when they are not in summer camp session (closed in CT this summer & they should be) rent buildings and shelters to individual scout troops and I imagine other youth groups. Now maybe, if there is a cleaning charge added and a licensed and insured cleaning company cleans between groups, you can still do this. Sweeping the floor and wiping cooking surfaces and such isn't enough anymore. (at least at this time)
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by B the Hiker View Post
    On May 28, 2020, the Cohos Trail Association released the following:

The governor of New Hampshire has extended the stay home order for several more weeks. That means that volunteer work on the Cohos Trail cannot commence. It means we of The Cohos Trail Association will keep our shelters closed to overnight stays until such time the restrictions are lifted.
    Is there an official release on extending stay-at-home? All I could find with Google was

https://www.wmur.com/article/sununu-...tinue/32703892
    ...should expect the stay-at-home order to remain in place a little while longer...
    "We're anticipating the stay-at-home order to stay in place for a couple more weeks," Sununu said.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

trailwork might be on hold for a while ... USFS sent an update to trail adopters on may 27 ... an excerpt:

> ... volunteer programs (Trailhead Stewards, Lincoln Woods, Roving Caretakers, Visitor Information) that focus on interacting with the public will be taking the season off.
    > There may be some room in the future to slowly reintroduce programs focused on project work like Trail Adopters and Backcountry Stewards. The emphasis of these programs will focus on the physical labor portions of the job like conducting trail maintenance, breaking up fire rings, restoring user created campsites and picking up trash and not focus on engaging the public. We are not sure if and when this will come to fruition but we will be in touch if that is possible.
    "In that cool mountain air, on an Appalachian Trail; Life is better there" - Yonder Mountain String Band

The bummer is the public will still be using the woods. These programs were put in place to try to mitigate impacts to the woods. Looks like the bureaucracy approach is shut it all down and worry about the details later.

I just received this update from my WMNF trail supervisor:

"Good afternoon White Mountain Trail Adopters!

First and foremost, I would like to share the big news that came from the White Mountain National Forest Leadership Team today. As of this morning, trail adopters are encouraged to resume trail work and maintenance in the WMNF!"

Looks like we are back on, though I still can't leave the state of Massachusetts...
    "The goggles, they do nothing!"

- Raineer Wolfcastle

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I just received this update from my WMNF trail supervisor:

"Good afternoon White Mountain Trail Adopters!

First and foremost, I would like to share the big news that came from the White Mountain National Forest Leadership Team today. As of this morning, trail adopters are encouraged to resume trail work and maintenance in the WMNF!"

Looks like we are back on, though I still can't leave the state of Massachusetts...

Still doing the Thoreau Falls Trail? If so, must suck with the bridge being removed

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    Is there an official release on extending stay-at-home? All I could find with Google was

https://www.wmur.com/article/sununu-...tinue/32703892
    ...should expect the stay-at-home order to remain in place a little while longer...
    "We're anticipating the stay-at-home order to stay in place for a couple more weeks," Sununu said.

Tim

Sununu also announced he was extending the state’s Stay at Home Order for two more weeks, but when that period ends on June 15 the order will be lifted.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Is this a chicken and egg situation?

Friday hotels and others offering short-term rentals can open up to any New Hampshire resident or out-of-stater who has first quarantined in the state for at least 14 days.

So if someone is from out of state do they have to sleep in their car or the woods for 14 days before checking into a hotel room?

As usual what the the governor put in writing does not line up with the actual new rules for the short term lodging that appear to be that an out of stater would need to self affirm that they had quarantined for 14 days prior to checking in. I know many honest folks from out of state that have been self quarantining for a couple of months, does that affirmation count towards the NH 14 day quarantine?

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Is this a chicken and egg situation?

Friday hotels and others offering short-term rentals can open up to any New Hampshire resident or out-of-stater who has first quarantined in the state for at least 14 days.

So if someone is from out of state do they have to sleep in their car or the woods for 14 days before checking into a hotel room?

As usual what the the governor put in writing does not line up with the actual new rules for the short term lodging that appear to be that an out of stater would need to self affirm that they had quarantined for 14 days prior to checking in. I know many honest folks from out of state that have been self quarantining for a couple of months, does that affirmation count towards the NH 14 day quarantine?
    It's th same confusing deal in Maine. I called my kid for a translation and her take was if you come to Maine from away you better stay put in your lodgings for 14 days. Which is silly, especially if you are at the Hampton Inn.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

Various news reports in NH is that the lodging staff will have out of state guests sign a self affirmation that they had self quarantined for 14 days prior to the visit.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Various news reports in NH is that the lodging staff will have out of state guests sign a self affirmation that they had self quarantined for 14 days prior to the visit.
    Can anyone imagine that a person who wants to stay for the night at a hotel in New Hampshire asserts that they did not self quarantine if that's what is required to get a room?

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    Can anyone imagine that a person who wants to stay for the night at a hotel in New Hampshire asserts that they did not self quarantine if that's what is required to get a room?
    I agree with the thought, however for those of us who have been avoiding crowded places other than grocery stores and wearing a mask, a hotel room is more risk than I want to take. Employers in CT would have you quarantine at home for two weeks after that one night before you could go back to work.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Besides the folks coming up not complying with the spirit of the emergency orders, if not the actual orders themselves, some businesses have taken it upon themselves to do whatever they please.

As More N.H. Businesses Violate Emergency Orders, Sununu Cautions Against ‘Snitching’

Great message. The public should ignore illegal activity. Really?

I'm fairly certain there have also been plenty of people flat out lying to get a hotel room, saying they were visiting Granny with COVID. There's just been too much traffic heading north in the late afternoon and too much coming back on weekend mornings to say these folks all have camps (and whatever other reasons such as staying with friends).

Personally, I thought Sununu was doing a fine job at the outset of this, not going overboard, putting in reasonable measures. Now it strikes me as haphazard in regards to messaging, enforcement and reopening. At this point, I'm pretty much to the point of open everything up, because what's the point anymore. Less than 2% growth per day here in NH, curve is bent, and it's obvious we can't stop anybody from doing anything they please.

This pandemic was bad, but not what I'd call catastrophic (i.e., highly contagious + highly deadly to all demographics). When (not if, though perhaps not in our lifetimes) that happens, I think the oblivious nature of the human race as witnessed these past few months will result in a not insignificant part of the population dying off unnecessarily. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    If someone attests in writings to something that is false, and then they cause (even inadvertently) harm to someone else, that changes the nature of liability. In English: someone drives up not knowing that they are positive, falsely attests that they quarantined, and then inadvertently infect someone who then dies, could face both civil and criminal penalties.

News of that happening could impact people's actions later on, one hopes.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by B the Hiker View Post
    If someone attests in writings to something that is false, and then they cause (even inadvertently) harm to someone else, that changes the nature of liability. In English: someone drives up not knowing that they are positive, falsely attests that they quarantined, and then inadvertently infect someone who then dies, could face both civil and criminal penalties.

News of that happening could impact people's actions later on, one hopes.

Brian
    While true in theory, if people come into contact with many people throughout the day or a couple of days, it will be hard to determine which one person who walked by someone was the one responsible. Going back to pre-covid19, if I worked in a high-rise building with an elevator and a multi-level parking garage, I came into contact with people in the garage elevator, the building elevator, co-workers, we may have shared a coffee pot or the café had an urn where dozens of people that morning got coffee before me. I then went to lunch in a food court, which meant another elevator ride to and from lunch, maybe a cup of coffee at (insert chain here) on the way back and then at the end of the day, another elevator ride in the building & the garage. BTW, all 75 of my co-workers, did the same thing, rode with 90% different people, went to the other coffee chain, the other food court. On the way home I ran an errand, (milk at a convenience store, or a few quick items at the grocery store and a bottle of wine at the package store in the same plaza.) and then was back home.

How do you prove which one person you came into contact with that gave it to you? They are saying upwards to 75% of the population may be asymptomatic, if I'm the one being charged and my lawyer can't create a reasonable doubt, I picked the wrong lawyer.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.