Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: More trail closings?

Interestingly, I see more people jogging and walking around my neighborhood, so people are staying local. I'd also tell you that the people I see in my neighborhood are more likely to have a pre-existing condition, but the road is wide so it's not an issue.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

"What were the absurd questions!"

- Is there usually no wind like today, and I didn't think I need snowshoes for Valley Way.

"I'm not sure it's local to Gorham, I'd hate riding my bike by the hill on Route 2 to get there."

Don't need to, can ride the rail trail to Randolph East from my house in 8.5 miles or bushwhack and use the snomo trail across the river in the woods and Pinkham B Road and get there in less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by dailey7779 View Post
    "What were the absurd questions!"

- Is there usually no wind like today, and I didn't think I need snowshoes for Valley Way.

"I'm not sure it's local to Gorham, I'd hate riding my bike by the hill on Route 2 to get there."

Don't need to, can ride the rail trail to Randolph East from my house in 8.5 miles or bushwhack and use the snomo trail across the river in the woods and Pinkham B Road and get there in less than that.
    Spoken like a true local. Here, I've hiked all winter in sneakers. Only wore boots the week I was in NH, just before our Gov. signed the shelter in place order.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

IMHO I do not think this was a well thought out or deployed policy. The FS claims on WMUR that these restrictions would be in place in lock step with the State of NH and the restrictions will cease once NH opens up for business (May 6th currently). There was also a subsequent statement by the FS that the orders do not mean what they say and that if someone could walk to a trailhead then the prohibition does not apply. So Dailey is covered for several trailheads on his side of Gorham. Note part of the rail trail washed out at some point this spring just east of the beaver pond. When I took a walk last week they had done some repairs but there was a very large hole to be avoided with a tree blocking the hole. It may be non issue now as there has been repair equipment working on the rail trail . I on the other hand have access to all the RMC trailheads or just a short walk and I am on the Church Path which give me access to "local" trail network that few out of town folks visit unless they are relining.

If the FS is in lockstep with NH then why are the state of NH owned trailheads still open?
    Last edited by peakbagger; 04-26-2020 at 05:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B the Hiker View Post
    I know you have had a conversation on another posting about staying at home--which many of us believe is needed to prevent the spread of the pandemic--so I will just answer your question and leave it at that: The goal is to leave hikers no options so they stay at home.
    Well plenty of people are obviously not doing that, and now they'll be crammed into a hand full of already popular lots. If that is their goal they should just close everything and be done with it instead of screwing around with all these idiotic phases of closures. This is total nonsense.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

Quote Originally Posted by dailey7779 View Post
    I'm not surprised of the closures but I'm pretty furious about the people I've observed over FB, IG, and Strava who just couldn't hike or run local during this time.
    This is an easy statement to make for someone who lives in the Whites and enjoys the caliber of "local" hikes you have. I live in CT and have been staying local and I can tell you it is NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE SAME THING. Not even close. So I totally get why people go there. I'm not doing it, I realize it is irresponsible, but I also I miss it like hell. That is like saying "just eat the food you have and be happy" when you have a pile of filet mignon and lobster and I have stale boxes of corn flakes. The "same" is not "equal".
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Aw come on!!

There are active Stay at Home orders in all New England states.

So by just showing up in the Whites hikers are violating a simple request to satisfy their need to "recreate."

It does not matter if you think you can effectively social distance on the trail or not. All you've been asked to do is limit your mobility and recreate locally for a few weeks to help contain a killer virus. Why is that so freakin hard to comply with?

How many stories of intubation, weird blood clotting, non-symptomatic spreaders and death do we need to read before we take it all seriously?

If you need another one: check out this 40-year-old Maine-based Marine survival instructor. He made it through several tours in Iraq and Afghanistan before his almost fatal fight with this virus.
    Not sure my point was clear. I was arguing that writing the letter of the rules is hard since there tends to be a lot of nuance required to satisfy all needs. I think most of us get the spirit of it, but there are some people who are either being obtuse, or are painfully literal.
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

I disagree with the Forest Service's decision and fear it will create more problems.

What part of stay at home do people not comprehend? We might not like it, but that is the order most of us are under. To me, that means you do not leave your house other than for essential needs, which does not encompass recreational activities despite the mental and physical benefits thereof. So all this trail head closure/non-closure debate is irrelevant. Anyone heading outside is basically saying I don’t agree with the govt’s order and I will not obey. Let’s just call it what it is.

We have a stay at home order not a shelter in place.
    https://www.nhpr.org/post/gov-sununu...tay-home-order
    At least at this date, hiking was encouraged and the ability to social distance on trails was supported.
    I keep telling myself I shouldn't let this get to me because I can also walk to some trails, and am grateful for that but it does. Selective closing of trails some of which I've recently been to without incident doesnt make sense.Yes out of state cars were there, but hiking groups were small 1-3 and kept their distance. Meanwhile videos of mt. major yesterday show lines of cars on either side for minutes of travel. Same as I noticed hiking from ferncroft last month which is now closed and did not have that issue.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.

Here is the actual order from Governor Sununu:

https://www.nhpr.org/sites/nhpr/file...order-17-1.pdf

and the relevant snippit:

4. Beginning at 11:59 p.m. on March 27, 2020, New Hampshire citizens shall stay at home
    or in their place of residence with the following exceptions:
    a) Leaving home to get fresh air or exercise, provided that social distancing
    protocols consistent with guidance from the Division of Public Health are
    observed;
    b) Leaving home for outdoor recreation provided that appropriate social distancing
    protocols are observed and provided that such recreation complies with any
    limitations contained within Executive Order 2020-04 and any Emergency
    Orders issued pursuant to Executive Order 2020-04;

BTW, it has been extended to May 15

Tim
    Last edited by bikehikeskifish; 04-26-2020 at 07:31 AM.
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

I’ve been pretty much hiking fairly close to home. I go early and try to find little used trails that I’ve found in the past. I also try to hike on these trails on weekdays as opposed to weekends. Usually when I arrive the parking areas are sparse, but when I return they’re packed. Generally I don’t see too many others and most of those seem to have the same thinking as me.(a polite hello while keeping a distance). I like to go for road walks around my neighborhood on weekends. Most others on the roads have the same attitude. I understand that I have it easier than most because I’m retired. I actually don’t have much of an issue with these circumstances anyway because I’ve been “social distancing” for quite a while ! !

Like some others, I have it very easy. I live in the Adirondacks, I'm retired, and I prefer to bushwhack. So this situation has not really changed my hiking at all.

There is obviously a conflict in NH between the Governor's order and the USFS order; it does not sound like this is all well thought out, and I think the USFS order will backfire and resulting in more crowding together of people. I would expect to see more changes in the next couple weeks as the outcomes become visible.

One thing that may come out of this is that more folks will take the plunge into off-trail travel. I hope everyone is careful. This might be a great time for guide services and outfitters (if they are allowed to) to start offering one-on-one land navigation training...

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    Here is the actual order from Governor Sununu:

https://www.nhpr.org/sites/nhpr/file...order-17-1.pdf

and the relevant snippit:

4. Beginning at 11:59 p.m. on March 27, 2020, New Hampshire citizens shall stay at home
    or in their place of residence with the following exceptions:
    a) Leaving home to get fresh air or exercise, provided that social distancing
    protocols consistent with guidance from the Division of Public Health are
    observed;
    b) Leaving home for outdoor recreation provided that appropriate social distancing
    protocols are observed and provided that such recreation complies with any
    limitations contained within Executive Order 2020-04 and any Emergency
    Orders issued pursuant to Executive Order 2020-04;

BTW, it has been extended to May 15

Tim
    A correction, (correct as of this morning) the NH state of emergency order has been extended to the 15th as it has already been extended previously as the maximum duration of each order can not exceed three weeks. This gives the governor and his administration special powers. The stay at home order has not yet been extended and still ends May 6th. The governor has stated that as that date comes closer he will review if a delay is needed. He has also stated that he does not expect it to be a blanket end to the order, rather a phased approach. Easy to get confused.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 04-26-2020 at 08:22 AM.

Thank you - I did try and add 21 days to May 4 and could not land on the 15th Personally, I am riding locally (from / to my house), as the local conservation lands are simply too crowded right now. I've used my car exactly once in the last 6 weeks, because it needed an inspection and a recall repair, outside of grocery shopping. Yes, I miss the mountains. Gryffin does too

Tim
    Last edited by bikehikeskifish; 04-26-2020 at 08:29 AM.
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.