Old school VFTT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
To try and brighten this website in this dark "zombie apocalypse" time, I am looking for some of the old school VFTT'rs to post some pics from happier times back in the day.

A little history:

Darren started this site in the late 90's, which became kind of the Facebook of the day for NE hikers. There were trail conditions, meetups, trip repots, Q&A, and gatherings. Remember those days? I started posting on this site in 1999 (yes I am now old), and now have numerous lifelong friends because of this site, with many hiking and climbing trips with lots f'ng cool people.

Lets do some reminiscing and post some old pics. I will start with this one. In 2006, SherpaK had a horrible ski accident, so Timmus (who is an incredible artist) created a caricature drawing of a gathering using pictures of VFTT members. It came out awesome!

Attachments

• thumbnail_FinalCompleteLR[1].jpg
    thumbnail_FinalCompleteLR[1].jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 382
Nice !
That was a little before my time but, I know or have met most of those people.
Some of them being life long friends. I'll have to see what photos I can dig up.
They probably go back to 2002 or so, before I even joined VFTT.

This is going to be fun, I’ll have to dig out some old pics... I was hiking and lurking on VFTT for a few years prior to actually joining and then finally posting.. All trips started with reading trip reports here... looking forward to seeing some pics and hearing from longtime friends that are from this website and sharing the passion of hiking..

I remember that picture. Dave M. still has his old trip reports including several with VFTT'ers http://hikethewhites.com/

Here are two old pictures I have from one of the old hikes run through VFTTmoriah mj 1.jpg 004_4.jpg
Sherpa K is on the left of the first picture with several others including Garry G myself and the other Michael, not in this pic but on the trip with Michelle and the BMT crew, Big Men in Tights. I still have John's EP CD he passed out the night before. Every time my son & I go on a hiking trip to NY or NH we play "The Perfect Storm"

In the second pic, Farmer Bob is on the left, my friend Eric in blue, Gary T and Chomp. On a hike I did with Garry G in March we were talking about Sherpa K. I did some online searching and found him online. He's scuba diving & on a board that is similar to VFTT.

BTW, once upon a time, there was a climbing section here on VFTT for technical climbing. While AMC had boards including Mountains & Molehills where rants were encouraged, some of the rants that went on here on VFTT were truly epic.

Last edited:
Dave, is the video of the 2006 Charity Presi-Traverse Video still online somewhere? I have a copy I've kept on my hard drive all these years.

Here is the picture I originally was looking for Feb 2000. Garry G, Paul Norton, Carole, Chomp & Bear & one young lady who's name I've forgotten. This was one of the first hikes I planned with more than just Chomp. Chomp & I did a hike of Field & Tim in January & then he did the AT in 1999. East Osceola Gang February 2000.jpg

I still have Timmus’ artwork! I display it at work. It’s traveled with me to new jobs in NYC, Atlanta, and now, Boise, Idaho. Good times on VFTT and in New England’s mountains!

Summit of Madison, winter gathering 2005
top14.jpg

2007 winter gathering, at UFC's?
wg06.jpg

Bearly Live 2007 - Sherpa on drums
IMG_3596.JPG

Frodo and I (with our Yankee hats) in the Sewards (Adirondacks) back in 03

SEWARDS4.jpgSEWARDS5.jpg

Last edited:
Lets do some reminiscing and post some old pics. I will start with this one. In 2006, SherpaK had a horrible ski accident, so Timmus (who is an incredible artist) created a caricature drawing of a gathering using pictures of VFTT members. It came out awesome!

Timmus’ picture, to me, was absolutely the best thing that ever happened on VFTT 👍

Fun!

I am getting sucked into a time warp from years gone by!

-MEB

Attachments

• 2005-10-05 Franconia Ridge Traverse 041.jpg
    2005-10-05 Franconia Ridge Traverse 041.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 2006-11-11 Mt Washington Night hike 003.jpg
    2006-11-11 Mt Washington Night hike 003.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 196
  • 2007-03-09 Baxter 038.jpg
    2007-03-09 Baxter 038.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Chicken man! Kia, Chips and Paradox (John), I think this was my first VFTT group hike.

IMG_7639.jpg

Last edited:
My dates are a little foggy. I want to say it was 1995-ish ( ? ) when I first bookmarked this site. It was the first site I ever saved on the internet. This pic was taken likely a little before that. My mother and I after completing our 4Ks on Isolation (my dog is just outside my right hand; she would finish a few years later).Mom and I.JPG