AMC Huts closed for the duration of 2020!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I imagine the huts will have a caretaker to make sure people aren't setting up tents on roofs.

Search and rescue operations will not have the benefit of having numerous hut croo at treeline ready to volunteer. This may add time to the rescue, particularly to the often vital first responder on scene.

I would be much more concerned about lack of restroom access. I doubt many day hikers carry their own trowels.

True, however, I know personally I've never had to use a trowel. I've made a mad dash up ahead to a privy on the AT before but part of the long ride to NH from CT or staying local in NH is that start someplace with a facility or drive by many. I have many pictures hiking in the rain so I don't know when to come in out of the rain, however, I remember the "go now because you can't go later & I ain't pulling over" lecture from my youth. Hauling scouts around, I've been the lecturer also.

I know we'll all plan accordingly here.

I have a physical copy of the Hut EIS from years ago where the impacts of the huts being closed outright versus being left in operation were laid out. Human waste management was identified as a significant issue that the huts would mitigate.

The vast majority of people I've hiked with (days hikes) try very hard to avoid pooping during a hike, making use of a Dunks or McDonald's bathroom on the way to the mountains. Hopefully people plan ahead, but I suspect that the areas near treeline will see a disproportional increase in TP sightings. I guess this will be an uncontrolled experiment if the hut's increase of use of an area outweighs their consolidation of use.

Making use of "Dunks" or McDonald's or other public bathrooms should probably be avoided.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

Making use of "Dunks" or McDonald's or other public bathrooms should probably be avoided.

On Thurday AM, Dunks and McDonalds were not allowing public use of their bathrooms. Ironically, we walked past the gate at Zealand and used the pit toilet there. Unlocked and Plenty of TP, clean. BYO hand sanitizer. No flushing, so the "aerosol effect" they speak of did not exist.

No need for WAG bags in New England if someone just uses proper dispersed disposal techniques. Solids and the toilet paper with it rapidly decompose if is buried in the top soil. In dry alpine environments, moisture is missing so the waste just dries out and stays around a lot longer.

If you grab some leafs and moss on the way up just shit on a rock right in the trail ..some dog will come along. yummy. Problem solved.

No need for WAG bags in New England if someone just uses proper dispersed disposal techniques. Solids and the toilet paper with it rapidly decompose if is buried in the top soil. In dry alpine environments, moisture is missing so the waste just dries out and stays around a lot longer.

Ever try to dig a nine inch cat hole in the average NH forest? It ain't easy given the roots, rocks, gravel and hard pan we have.

Ever try to dig a nine inch cat hole in the average NH forest? It ain't easy given the roots, rocks, gravel and hard pan we have.

Digging a hole here is no better in CT either. Farmers in all the New England states grew great stone walls back in the day.