Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Surfing Rash Guard As A Layer

  1. #1
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,768

    Surfing Rash Guard As A Layer

    A few years back someone on here, I think possibly Tom Rankin, posted a link to a product that was like a surfing rash guard that retained its warmth when it was wet and he/they were inquiring if anyone has tried it. (I think it was like Kore Dry or something along those lines). I'm noticing a lot of surfing rash guards on clearance at pretty deep discounts on various sites and I was curious exactly what their purpose is (I have never surfed and know nothing about it).

    Do they retain warmth and keep you comfortable when it is soaked or is it just a sun protection thing? Are they more durable/thicker than a normal layer? The material specs are generally just 90% poly or so and the other 10% elastane. Just sounds like any other form fitting base layer. Was curious how something like this would perform on a day where it is in the 50's or 60's and pouring out or maybe a warmer but drizzly day above treeline with a or whatever. Could it be utilized without need for a rain jacket where you could just say screw it and get wet because you're staying warm? They're obviously designed to be wet and I'd imagine being soaked in a breeze all day riding waves could get pretty chilly but maybe not wet suit worthy. Anyhow, curious if anyone has tried something like that and what your thoughts were on it.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  2. #2
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Posts
    2,601
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    A few years back someone on here, I think possibly Tom Rankin, posted a link to a product that was like a surfing rash guard that retained its warmth when it was wet and he/they were inquiring if anyone has tried it. (I think it was like Kore Dry or something along those lines). I'm noticing a lot of surfing rash guards on clearance at pretty deep discounts on various sites and I was curious exactly what their purpose is (I have never surfed and know nothing about it).

    Do they retain warmth and keep you comfortable when it is soaked or is it just a sun protection thing? Are they more durable/thicker than a normal layer? The material specs are generally just 90% poly or so and the other 10% elastane. Just sounds like any other form fitting base layer. Was curious how something like this would perform on a day where it is in the 50's or 60's and pouring out or maybe a warmer but drizzly day above treeline with a or whatever. Could it be utilized without need for a rain jacket where you could just say screw it and get wet because you're staying warm? They're obviously designed to be wet and I'd imagine being soaked in a breeze all day riding waves could get pretty chilly but maybe not wet suit worthy. Anyhow, curious if anyone has tried something like that and what your thoughts were on it.
    Iíve used rash guards. Mostly for waterskiing. They do provide some warmth when in the water. Usually they are used when a wetsuit is a bit overkill or can be used in conjunction with a thinner wet suit is just not quite enough. They also prevent chafing from abrasive surfaces. Much of the time if you are in and out of the water wether it be extensive H2O ski or white water paddling sessions your skin can become quite soggy. Therefore more tender and easier to scrape or tear. The rash guard acts as a layer of protection. I do think you could use it for hiking as it would perform much like a thin layer of polypropylene underware as they are made of primarily the same material. The biggest difference is that rash guards are typically more form fitting as you really donít want extra material hanging as it would literally be a drag for water sports. Thatís not to say that form fitting for hiking is a bad thing. As Hans and Franz say:Ē Show us your Manly BulgesĒ Hereís some more info. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rash_guard
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  3. #3
    Senior Member Tom Rankin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Posts
    6,629
    Sorry, but I searched and could not find any mention of this in any of my posts...
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

  4. #4
    Senior Member ChrisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Beginning and End
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    I'm noticing a lot of surfing rash guards on clearance at pretty deep discounts on various sites and I was curious exactly what their purpose is (I have never surfed and know nothing about it).
    I have short- and long-sleeve rash guard shirts I use for surfing when the water warms up above 60 deg. I use them for sun protection rather than any warmth they might provide. In fact, I think mine keep me cooler since they are always wet (I'm not a great surfer!). Mine are a 2X thicker material than a typical lightweight poly hiking shirt.

    But for a "screw the rain let's hike" kind of a day, I think they'd be worth a try. They won't breath much but on days like that you get wet from the outside and the inside anyway.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama
    .

  5. #5
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin View Post
    Sorry, but I searched and could not find any mention of this in any of my posts...
    Actually it was you but it was further back than I thought: https://www.vftt.org/forums/showthre...highlight=kore. I was pretty sure I had the product name right so I Google and found it. Then I searched VFTT and it came right up. Me actually remembering 2 pieces of information from the past correctly AND successfully doing a VFTT search and finding what I was thinking of has astronomical odds. I should but a lottery ticket.

    Anyway, I guess if you don't remember it you never actually bought and tried so I guess it is all irrelavant. Carry on!
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  6. #6
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,768
    Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    The biggest difference is that rash guards are typically more form fitting as you really don’t want extra material hanging as it would literally be a drag for water sports. That’s not to say that form fitting for hiking is a bad thing.
    Yah I would look like a sausage casing model in one right now but I figure if I'm using it for its intended purpose in a heavy rain I won't run into too many people.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  7. #7
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,768
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    But for a "screw the rain let's hike" kind of a day, I think they'd be worth a try. They won't breath much but on days like that you get wet from the outside and the inside anyway.
    That was my thought. Rather than messing around with rain gear and hoods and sweating, trying to keep the underlying clothes dry, etc why not just throw something on that just keeps you warm soaking wet and keep all the stuff I want dry safely in my pack. Wouldn't use often so I didn't want to spend much on one but they have a lot of styles in the $15-$18 range with all the clearance sales right now so it's worth a flyer to try it out.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  8. #8
    Senior Member Tom Rankin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Posts
    6,629
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Actually it was you but it was further back than I thought: https://www.vftt.org/forums/showthre...highlight=kore. I was pretty sure I had the product name right so I Google and found it. Then I searched VFTT and it came right up. Me actually remembering 2 pieces of information from the past correctly AND successfully doing a VFTT search and finding what I was thinking of has astronomical odds. I should but a lottery ticket.

    Anyway, I guess if you don't remember it you never actually bought and tried so I guess it is all irrelavant. Carry on!
    FWIW, no I never tried it. And good job on the search!
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

  9. #9
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    2,920
    My son wears them at the beach all the time and has for years. He wears them under a traditional baggy short. When he runs XC he wears compression shorts also in the same manner. I think it's predominately for chaffing. He spends a lot of time boogie boarding, kayaking in the surf and when younger, digging in the sand.

    I'm thinking not very breathable & I'd rather be using a lubricant like Body Glide or Bag Balm with poly or silk as a base layer.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    CT Refugee now in NH
    Posts
    923
    They are useful for kayaking to prevent chafing against the more rigid ("ballistic") fabrics of dry/semi-dry suits or a bare PFD. They are useful for SCUBA because they make it easier to get in and out of non-premium wetsuits. But I cant think of an equivalent use while hiking other than what a liner sock can do.

Similar Threads

  1. Pesky Rash
    By Cymbidium in forum General Backcountry
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-26-2009, 05:38 AM
  2. Strange Rash
    By peakn in forum General Backcountry
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 02:35 PM
  3. Book Report: Let My People Go Surfing
    By ExploreTheEast in forum General Backcountry
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2008, 01:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •