Katahdin Woods and Waters declared a Dark Sky Sanctuary

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and stepson had never seen the Milky Way or even a starry sky, having always lived in the big city. On a trip to Yellowstone we were driving back to our lodging after dark, and I stopped the car in the middle of nowhere. They were astounded seeing the dark sky filled with stars and the Milky Way for the very first time.

I always love reaching 4,000 meters (13,100 feet) for the darkest of night and the brightest of stars. The best is getting so far back that there are no street lights or car headlights visible in the distance. Total night dark everywhere. It is hard, though, to find those places because even far away cities and towns cast a faint glow on the horizon.

I have a fine memory of bivouacking on one of the western states high points. I awoke at 4am to start the climb. One of the few times I have seen a shadow cast by a planet, which was Venus in this case. I once noticed the extremely faint shadow cast by Jupiter.

When I was young, I used to be able to discern the Horse and Rider, two stars close together which constitute the middle star in the handle of the Big Dipper. Historically, they were used as a test of excellent vision. When I reached High School I started wearing glasses and was no longer able to resolve the pair. Since then the only way to see them is by using binoculars.

The stars and constellations are familiar friends, signposts, points of reference that help me maintain situational awareness. In the daytime I frequently check the sun and moon, trying to ascertain the time without checking a watch. And of course they help in navigation when the map is tucked away in the pack.

One of the main reasons I go into the backcountry is for the views. Until now I hadn't realized how much I appreciate the nighttime sky.

Sounds good. The ability to see the Milky Way and other dim features is getting rarer and rarer these days. I was looking up at the sky from a dark spot in Twin Mountain a few years ago and had trouble recognizing familiar constellations due to all the "extra" stars...

I've taken up astrophotography in the past few years and mostly shoot from my backyard (NE Boston suburbs, Bortle 7 or 8=lots of light pollution, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bortle_scale). I have also shot from dark locations in the Adirondacks and Maine (Bortle 3 or less) and the difference is dramatic.

One advantage (perhaps the only advantage...) of the current shutdown is less air and light pollution. My home skies are darker than usual.

Doug

...When I was young, I used to be able to discern the Horse and Rider, two stars close together which constitute the middle star in the handle of the Big Dipper. Historically, they were used as a test of excellent vision. When I reached High School I started wearing glasses and was no longer able to resolve the pair. Since then the only way to see them is by using binoculars.

The stars and constellations are familiar friends, signposts, points of reference that help me maintain situational awareness. In the daytime I frequently check the sun and moon, trying to ascertain the time without checking a watch. And of course they help in navigation when the map is tucked away in the pack.

Another classic test of vision and sky darkness is discerning the seven stars in the The Pleiades (Seven Sisters). It's also the Subaru logo!! If you can see all seven stars distinctly you enjoy sharp vision and a dark sky.

This web site is great for getting info about what's visible in the night sky from most any location. Just enter a date, time and city near you and the sky charts are localized to that data. Very cool.

I'm partial to heavens-above.com for what is visible, including not just natural astronomical objects, but also satellites and prediction of Iridium flares. I like to have an exact time of a flare in my pocket when I am guiding a group, then arrange a night hike while I subtly point to that portion of the sky without explanation when a flare is about to bloom bright enough to cast a shadow for a few seconds as some do. "How did you do that?"

Dark skies as a regulatory thing?? really? One can see dark / milky way on a fall / winter evening in se costal CT.

Bringing back an old thread. Looks like the Fed is planning a expansion https://bangordailynews.com/2020/12...ce-starting-process-to-expand-katahdin-woods/

Unless something has changed, the core part of the monument, west of the East Branch, does not allow snowmobiles but sections east of the river do allow limited snowmobiling. There are substantially more private inholdings East of the river. Softwood lumber demand has picked up in that region due to trade tariffs but regenerating hardwood stands are in far less demand so my guess is there are willing sellers of what was formerly industrial timberland. Limited snowmobiling was a big compromise that was put in place by the son of Roxanne Qumby to improve the acceptance of the project. The land to the west of the river are pretty well owned by the monument, BPS or the state but to the east of the river the monument is mostly private land with some monument lands sprinkled about. Unlike the East Branch, the Seboeis river is not dam controlled so it is far more seasonal for recreation

No doubt with the change in federal administration the drumbeat will start again to have it declared it a National Park. There is also a inholdng of State of Maine land on the BSP border that most likely could go into play with the change in Maine government although with the Maine governors long term ties to BSP as Maine's former attorney general, she would probably lean towards an addition to BSP.

My darkest places have been while on the Allagash and waiting for this picture. Love the sunrises and sunsets.
IMG_7751.jpg

20170818_052531.jpg

Middle of the Pacific Ocean. You've got nothing but stars all the way down to the horizon for 360 degrees. And the Southern Cross..unforgettable.