Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If Washington was another 1000' would it be glaciated?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    I looked at one of the weather services average for Jackson Hole for my comparison.
    Don't forget that Jackson Hole is the large valley to the east of the Teton Range. It's possible that snowfall on the mountains is much greater than in the valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    I looked at one of the weather services average for Jackson Hole for my comparison. The Jackson Hole snow vortex likely pales to the snow numbers that Jay Peak allegedly gets.
    https://unofficialnetworks.com/2018/...rage-snowfall/ Let’s just say Jay Peak is the only Eastern Resort that makes the top 35 at #28. Jackson Hole comes in at #16 with 73 more inches than Jay. Both of which are a pale comparison to #1 Mt.Baker at 701 inches.
    Last edited by skiguy; 05-14-2020 at 01:39 PM.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Don't forget that Jackson Hole is the large valley to the east of the Teton Range. It's possible that snowfall on the mountains is much greater than in the valley.
    I would concur with that. I have been to Jackson Hole multiple times. The difference between downtown and the top of the ski area as far as precipitation goes is a lot. Even at the ski area itself the difference from base to mid mountain and the upper mountain can be big. Close to 4000 feet of gain. There is almost 6000 feet of elevation from downtown to the summit of the ski area. Then another 4000 feet to the top of the Grand. To put it in comparison the difference in elevation from downtown Jackson Hole to the top of the ski area is just shy of the height of Mt. Washington and only 12 miles apart. The distance from downtown North Conway to AMC Pinkham Notch is twice the distance at 24 miles with only an elevation gain of approximately 1500 feet. Although the difference from North Conway to the summit of the Rockpile is more impressive at approximately 5500 feet. Right now the environmental conditions from the Valley to the Summit is very evident. One can see all the gullies of Hunt’s chocked full of Snow and the East snowfields fully covered as I am about to do my first mow of the grass this evening here in the valley.
    Last edited by skiguy; 05-14-2020 at 02:09 PM.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    I checked with a contact who is a former MW OBS Meteorologist...

Tim
    Interesting about the Fog being a prime reason why a year-round snowpack couldn't stay. I wonder though if a higher elevation would somehow mean less fog.
    I nonetheless think that if every elevation was raised by 1,000' (The summit of Mount Washington, the base of all the ravines, etc) that year round snowpack would be possible.
    I climbed Howe Mountain near Shelburne-Moriah this weekend and there is still significant snow depth above 2500'.
    Spencer
    Bigfoot

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Would the winds be stronger?
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

The wind wouldn't be much stronger most days as there is really nothing blocking it now from most of the prevailing directions. If it came over Jefferson and Adams most of the time, that would be an issue. At times the wind in the cols seems worst as it's being funneled between the peaks, especially Edmands Col. There is no weather equipment there though.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    Would the winds be stronger?
    Not on the days I'd be there.