Self Rescue on Downe's Brook

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to be a jerk, I have to say that if even if you are deemed "wreckless" you should not be billed since you did not cause a wreck. However, if you are deemed "reckless" that is another matter! :D
Incidentally, even though I only spend one week a year in NH, I buy a Hike Safe Card to support F&G's mission as much as to protect myself.

One thing that most hikers rescued under the program do not realize is F&G does not need to mirandize the rescued. Anything they say or do will be used to develop a case for billing for the rescue.

BTW I do buy a hike safe card. I expect Grey J is significant minority of visitors in that buys one.

Police are few and far between,

I'd watch your lead foot if I were you. There are speed traps EVERYWHERE right now. As you know I drive a lot for work and (when it was allowed) hiking. I've never seen so many speed traps as I've seen the past 4-6 weeks. One of those SPEEDSAFE Cards would be a worthwhile purchase! :)

I'd watch your lead foot if I were you. There are speed traps EVERYWHERE right now. As you know I drive a lot for work and (when it was allowed) hiking. I've never seen so many speed traps as I've seen the past 4-6 weeks. One of those SPEEDSAFE Cards would be a worthwhile purchase! :)

But on the 250 miles each way from SE CT to Crawford Notch, if I saw 10-15 officers, that would be a lot. (I've gotten old, I see the younger generation flying by me shattering the speed limit from time to time, I'm more like bending the speed limit these days)

With sheltering in place, I think I have walked more miles this month then driven.

... With sheltering in place, I think I have walked more miles this month then driven.

Now that is a gift!!

And as a former Nutmeger (Bridgeport), I hope to see your plate again in NH when all this blows over.

I was off, so far this month 45 miles walking, it's been a slow month and 65 miles driving. The weekend promises another hike two towns over though!

HikeSafe is a mantra. SpeedSafe is an oxymoron.

I'm light as a feather my friend. Just like playing around with words. Guess I need to put one those smiley faces at the end to let you know. :cool:

About once a week I read of someone stopped for speeding in NH who was rolling over 100 mph. On 95, 93, 89, and even 16! Are we there yet?

For all my speeding talk, the group that does triple digits is indeed scary. When I was out driving I'd see at least one of these a week in CT and we don't have as much open road as you see in ME or NH above Laconia or VT. (actually even northern MA on 91 too)

For all my speeding talk, the group that does triple digits is indeed scary. When I was out driving I'd see at least one of these a week in CT and we don't have as much open road as you see in ME or NH above Laconia or VT. (actually even northern MA on 91 too)

I have to say I've driven in NH, MA, CT, NY, PA and OH the past several weeks and far and away the craziest drivers I've seen have been right here in CT. Drivers on Rte 84 have been extremely aggressive. If you're doing 80 mph on Rte 84 expect to be tailgated and have people swerving in and around you going well beyond that. I can see why the auto fatality rate in MA for April was double last year's rate despite the drop in traffic volume. I rarely get flustered on the road but driving on Rte 84 right now is uncomfortable.

I have to say I've driven in NH, MA, CT, NY, PA and OH the past several weeks and far and away the craziest drivers I've seen have been right here in CT. Drivers on Rte 84 have been extremely aggressive. If you're doing 80 mph on Rte 84 expect to be tailgated and have people swerving in and around you going well beyond that.

4 pages so I'll skip looking for the fork in the road. But how did this get from the Downes Brook Trail to the highway? :rolleyes: ;) Anyway, 495 in MA is the same. Scares the heck out of me when it's busy. I don't thing I've ever seen a speed trap on it. Everyone would be bagged. :cool:

4 pages so I'll skip looking for the fork in the road. But how did this get from the Downes Brook Trail to the highway? :rolleyes: ;) Anyway, 495 in MA is the same. Scares the heck out of me when it's busy. I don't thing I've ever seen a speed trap on it. Everyone would be bagged. :cool:

Hah! That's funny. I was looking at the title of the thread when I posted and was wondering why we were talking about traffic too. I guess with all the pent up energy we're seeing some epic thread drift. :)

Hah! That's funny. I was looking at the title of the thread when I posted and was wondering why we were talking about traffic too. I guess with all the pent up energy we're seeing some epic thread drift. :)
It always goes awry here when rescue discussions start to talk about negligence and the Hike Safe Card.

It always goes awry here when rescue discussions start to talk about negligence and the Hike Safe Card.

Ok, back to business.

ITS THE CELL PHONE STUPID!

What’s ironically annoying about this call out is that a non- functional cell phone Triggered it rather than yet another “save my s#it” call on a functional cell phone.

SAR just can’t win here.