Re-Openings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The AMC Four Thousand Footer Committee will resume counting ascents of peaks after June 5, 2020. We ask that all hikers follow this guidance:

1. Do not go hiking if you or someone you have been exposed to within 14 days has symptoms of, or has tested positive for, COVID-19.
2. Only hike where trails are open and where travel is permitted to those trails.
3. Abide by the restrictions on movement as defined by the state(s) where your activity will take place and the state you travel from. Learn about and do not travel between restricted and unrestricted areas.
4. Prepare for and follow any expectations defined by the manager of the recreational resource where your activity will take place including restricted hours for access, limited parking, closures for restrooms, group size limits, safety, and Leave No Trace requirements.

Every hiker needs to venture into the mountains with full knowledge that rescue services are limited. Expect snow and ice at higher elevations, and prepare accordingly. Properly consider your readiness and travel with the Ten Essentials.

The AMC Four Thousand Footer Committee will resume counting ascents of peaks after June 5, 2020. We ask that all hikers follow this guidance:

1. Do not go hiking if you or someone you have been exposed to within 14 days has symptoms of, or has tested positive for, COVID-19.
2. Only hike where trails are open and where travel is permitted to those trails.
3. Abide by the restrictions on movement as defined by the state(s) where your activity will take place and the state you travel from. Learn about and do not travel between restricted and unrestricted areas.
4. Prepare for and follow any expectations defined by the manager of the recreational resource where your activity will take place including restricted hours for access, limited parking, closures for restrooms, group size limits, safety, and Leave No Trace requirements.

Every hiker needs to venture into the mountains with full knowledge that rescue services are limited. Expect snow and ice at higher elevations, and prepare accordingly. Properly consider your readiness and travel with the Ten Essentials.

Thanks, this is helpful. I'm looking to the AMC and a number of other groups to help decide when and where it's ok to hike. I'm not particularly worried about my own safety, but I'm mindful of the fact that as a Masshole, I'd be traveling from an area of relatively high transmission rates to an area of relatively low infection/transmission.

THe ATV network is slowly opening up in the north country. The connector trail from Gorham to Berlin reopened yesterday and that means plenty of residents in Mass will be heading up this weekend (after of course self quarantining for 14 days before arrival ;) )

I guess I'm going to be the only person posting on this thread! Oh well. Moat is now open! Limited seating, but one can get beer as take-out again.

There has been lots of talk about how hikers will fare with the high huts being closed for the season. The following from a recent AMC email:

"... even though we’ve had to close the high mountain huts to overnight accommodations, we’re still stationing caretakers there to provide for hikers’ basic needs and safety. And it’s why I’m so eager to welcome you all back this summer. Some things may look a little different, but you can be sure the very best of AMC will be on full display."

So it looks like a care taker will grant you access to the potty and let you fill a water bottle or two. Same as it ever was.

There has been lots of talk about how hikers will fare with the high huts being closed for the season. The following from a recent AMC email:

"... even though we’ve had to close the high mountain huts to overnight accommodations, we’re still stationing caretakers there to provide for hikers’ basic needs and safety. And it’s why I’m so eager to welcome you all back this summer. Some things may look a little different, but you can be sure the very best of AMC will be on full display."

So it looks like a care taker will grant you access to the potty and let you fill a water bottle or two. Same as it ever was.
That makes a lot of sense.

This makes me very happy.

That makes a lot of sense.

It does. And I’m sure there is a security component to the decision also.

Sounds like a nice gig too: Live at a high for the summer yet not have to deal with all those overnight guests. Where do I apply?!

It does. And I’m sure there is a security component to the decision also.

Sounds like a nice gig too: Live at a high for the summer yet not have to deal with all those overnight guests. Where do I apply?!

Not so nice to me having to deal with the constant discussion on why they are not open and the tourists who demand that they have to right to use the hut overnight due to a perceived emergency. it also could be abused if "friends" of the club are allowed access. If the restrooms are open then it means controlling the lines and breathing sanitizer fumes. The other question is does this employee become the defacto cop telling folks setting up camp in the RUA that they are in violation of USFS law. That nice roped off grassy area in front of the hut (home to endangered alpine plants) looks awfully tempting to someone setting up a tent that doesn't know better.

Not so nice to me having to deal with the constant discussion on why they are not open and the tourists who demand that they have to right to use the hut overnight due to a perceived emergency. it also could be abused if "friends" of the club are allowed access. If the restrooms are open then it means controlling the lines and breathing sanitizer fumes. The other question is does this employee become the defacto cop telling folks setting up camp in the RUA that they are in violation of USFS law. That nice roped off grassy area in front of the hut (home to endangered alpine plants) looks awfully tempting to someone setting up a tent that doesn't know better.
Well let’s hope the donations they were crying for came in. Looks like they are going to have to pay for that pooper chopper after all. Probably a good thing as the horizontal proliferation of waste could have been ugly. Interesting to see if they will man the priveys at places like Liberty, Garfield and Guyout.

Nice to see some basic common sense prevail.

Maine lodging and other tourist attractions are open to folks from VT and NH with no quarantine requirements. Visitors from other states either quarantine or have a recent corona virus test (72 hours).