Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMC asking for donations

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Thank you for the clarification as you are correct. They only charge some of their volunteers.
    Thankyou also for the clarification. It would be a lot easier to donate to the AMC's crying for money right now if they were to clarify where the need was and where the donation was being channeled.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    where the donation was being channeled.

Probably more window decals.

In most cases, donations unless restricted go to unglamorous things like HVAC, office supplies staff salaries, benefits and leases. Folks don't want to contribute to things like that as they don't get the brass plaque on the front wall. Up until recently, I don't think a campaign to buy toilet paper for the office rest rooms would bring in lot of dollars Declare a fundraiser for a new hut like Crystal Cascade and the club claimed they already had plenty donors lined up to build it once approved. One of the standard accounting tricks that non profits play is they add a project management fee to the amount to be raised for a capital campaign and then they fund a general operations position in the project management. Reportedly that's how some of the Maine projects staffing was paid for. I wonder if it may be the reason that the new BSP director moved on from AMC once the capital campaigns were over? As long as there is ongoing capital expansion its not an issue but if the capital projects run out and the non profit has to run a facility from regular revenue they can not afford it. Talk to any land protection land trust manager and they rarely have issues raising the money to buy and protect land but they are always squeezed paying for onoing perpetual management they incur. More than few land trusts are "land rich" but "cash poor". Endowments are supposed to be set up to cover ongoing expenses but I expect if push comes to shove, that funding is probably a painfully tempting target.

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Thankyou also for the clarification. It would be a lot easier to donate to the AMC's crying for money right now if they were to clarify where the need was and where the donation was being channeled.
    You can absolutely designate your gift. Call 'em up and ask for it to go to the trails budget, if that's where your heart is.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    (disclosure: I volunteer to push a pencil for the NHOC periodically since I don't push a volunteer fire rake much anymore).
    Much appreciated. NHOC is seriously underrecognized.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    Just to be clear, no one has to pay to adopt a trail for AMC. I have been doing it for many years, and have never been asked for funds. AMC does provide tools, and will also provide accommodations for an adopter if needed (the night before or after a full day of trail work).
    The pay to play trail work opportunities are for week long “vacations” out of Camp Dodge.
    Thank you for volunteering! Your time is greatly appreciated. Thank you also for supporting the AMC. The AMC is a powerful and important environmental organization that protects the White Mountains in ways few outsiders understand or appreciate. We would not be able to hike in the manner that we do without the AMC and all the work its volunteers put in, and the Whites would not be the special place they are without the protections the AMC provides.

Quote Originally Posted by jniehof View Post
    Much appreciated. NHOC is seriously underrecognized.
    I appreciate the shout out. It's an extraordinary group of knowledgeable, creative, and experienced people, many with really cool jobs, all with a volunteer's heart. I'm not sure how I got on there, but I try to represent the dirt-worshiping, hiker trash community and try to listen more than I speak.

I think the Trailhead Stewards would be more valuable than ever right now, but that doesn't appear to look promising at this point. I suspect someone will be trying to do the Franconia Ridge in a VW any one of these days now.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~