Thread: 52 WAV Updated

52 WAV Updated

https://overthehillhikers.blogspot.c...s-updated.html

Some peaks being retired. Some added. Should probably just set the guideline at 2000' as a couple of the new additions are closer to that than the 2500' guideline.

Disappointed to see Roger's on another list but I'm surprised it wasn't on this list before.

To be retired:
    1. Black Mountain in Jackson
    2. Iron Mountain
    3. Square Ledge
    4. Hibbard
    5. West Royce

To add:
    1. Morgan (2,220 feet. Squam Range. Can be done in a loop with Percival)
    2. Percival (2,212 feet. Squam Range. Can be done in a loop with Morgan)
    3. Pine Mountain (2,404 feet. Recommend accessing via trail from Gorham)
    4. Roger's Ledge (2,965 feet. Kilkenny Ridge Trail)
    5. Table Mountain (2,610 feet. Attitash Trail)

Combined/added:
    We will also combine North Doublehead & South Doublehead. North Doublehead has lost a lot of its view, but by combining it with South we can leave it on the list and add something new. So, this will be listed like Welch-Dickey, as a loop.

The revised list of peaks if anyone wants to see the whole shebang:

http://www.kenmacgray.org/52/peaks.shtml

As for Morgan and Percival, those were added mainly because they are in the Over The Hill Hikers' back yard, and a spot along the ridge has sentimental meaning in honor of OTHH "den mother" Lib Bates.
    Last edited by Ken MacGray; 05-27-2020 at 07:41 AM.
    Proprietor, NH 52 With A View Facebook group
    Author, New Hampshire's 52 With A View - A Hiker's Guide
    Author, AMC Southern NH Trail Guide, 5th Edition - Coming in 2020!

Did West Royce lose it's view?
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Did West Royce lose it's view?
    It's fairly diminished now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken MacGray View Post
    It's fairly diminished now.
    Thanks Ken, it's also one of the furthest trailheads from home. I did it back when I had a business trip in Maine.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Iron Mountain, the summit, has no view, but the trailhead has what might be the best trailhead view around! And, the view from the viewpoint (past the mine) is really quite excellent.

That said, Iron is the only retiree and I have been to Morgan and Percival (have to find some dates...) so a net +1 for me

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    Iron Mountain, the summit, has no view, but the trailhead has what might be the best trailhead view around! And, the view from the viewpoint (past the mine) is really quite excellent.

That said, Iron is the only retiree and I have been to Morgan and Percival (have to find some dates...) so a net +1 for me

Tim
    Square Ledge has nice views, but I didn't think it was worthy of inclusion, so no objection there.
    Hibbard has grown in, so there are some views if you stand on the rock and are tall, so no objection to this one either.

Morgan and Percival are nice, but tend to be quite busy given their easy access and lower effort. That said, I'd rather do them than Square Ledge and Hibbard, so no argument here. Table, Pine, and Roger's have been on my to-do list for a while anyway as I've heard they are quite lovely, so this helps validate that feeling.

I love the spirit of the list and appreciate the thought that goes into revising it.
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

West Royce was my first 52WAV hike a few years ago. The view was fairly obscured back then. Thankfully, many of the hikes since have had much better views. Its still a nice hike as part of the Basin Rim Rim trail loop. I was going to do Iron Mountain next, I guess that one will just be for the viewpoint and redlining bragging rights.

This pandemic is making me lazy. And fat!

IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR PINE MOUNTAIN

Per the guidance of the staff of the Horton Center, which operates a camp on the mountain, the following is requested of hikers who climb the peak:

Summit -- The summit is located on private property owned by the Horton Center, a faith-based camp and retreat operated by the New Hampshire Conference of the United Church of Christ (Congregational). The Center owns a 100-acre tract on the mountain with a complex of buildings situated on the northern plateau. Hikers are welcome on the mountain, but are requested to not disturb any religious activities that may be occurring, mainly during the summer.

Horton Center Complex -- The main buildings of the Horton Center are off-limits to the public and should not be visited. There are access points to the complex which are unmarked, but are closed to hikers: a beaten path leading west from the spur trail to Chapel Rock, and the section of the old fire tower tractor road leading north from the junction of Pine Mountain Trail and Pine Mountain Loop. Also, if approaching via Pine Mountain Rd., hikers should not venture beyond its junction with Pine Mountain Loop.

Chapel Rock -- Hikers are welcome to visit Chapel Rock in the off-season only. Public access is prohibited during the months of June, July and August.

Chapel View Shelter -- This Adirondack-style shelter, located at the end of Chapel View Spur on private property, is not available for public use.

Parking -- If approaching from the south via the Pine Link trailhead, and that parking area is full, do not park along Pine Mountain Rd.

Is the summit

a) required
    b) always available to hikers?

I am assuming, despite discrepancies in several maps, that the SSW bump is the summit and the NNW is Chapel Rock.

It was never clear to me if the 52WAV was summit-based or viewpoint-based. So far I have always done both.

Tim
    Last edited by bikehikeskifish; 06-06-2020 at 07:53 PM.

It depends.

For a few of the peaks, there are no views at the true summit, like Paugus, Stairs and Resolution. In the case of Pine, the summit is accessible, but it's viewless. The big views are in the south ledges.
    Last edited by Ken MacGray; 06-06-2020 at 09:59 PM.