Back to summer conditions - Thunderstorms in the Presis

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I heard some noise outside and looked out the window and looks Like Mt Washington is in the thunderstorm making mode. First time this year for classic heat induced thunderstorm. Its actually pretty early in the day usually they hold off until a bit later in the afternoon.

One of the many reasons I hike early and try to be heading down in summer.

I heard some noise outside and looked out the window and looks Like Mt Washington is in the thunderstorm making mode. First time this year for classic heat induced thunderstorm. Its actually pretty early in the day usually they hold off until a bit later in the afternoon.

One of the many reasons I hike early and try to be heading down in summer.

Rode the Kanc today and motorcycle thermometer was consistently at 90 at lower elevations. 93 deg in Lincoln where you could see clouds boiling up over the mountains to the north.

Most trail heads were not close to capacity and traffic was light. Lake Wini surprisingly warm in Center Harbor.

THe thunderstorms yesterday were unusual. The obs summit cam was sunny but off over the Wildcat ridge it was dark. The storms just formed over the summit and then were stationary over a small area to the east/southeast. I expect the carter notch area over RT 113 got soaked while it never rained in Gorham. Looking at the stream gages, The Peabody in Gorham, The Wild River in Gilead and the Saco in North Conway all had an uptick.

Rt. 16 through Pinkham Notch in Jackson had a washout that is going to need repair. According to Jackson Police’s FB Page the road is open but caution is needed.