Anybody using an Osprey Kestrel to carry snowshoes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
My Stratos 40 is looking pretty sad. Recommended replacement is the Kestrel 38, but it's not obvious to me how to attach snowshoes - and I am partial to a vertical orientation.

(I am asking now, since Osprey is done making masks and back in the repair business and it's no longer necessary to take the 40L pack out.)

Tim

It looks like you would disconnect the upper clamps from the normal stowed positions and connect them together in front of the snowshoes.

I've had a bunch of packs through the years with varying degrees of ability to attach snowshoes (I also prefer the "vertical, on-the -back" location).

Some packs have good attachment systems. But for many packs, I pretty much resigned myself to using a couple additional Fastex "sleeping bag straps" to attach the snowshoes.

I would select the pack you want based on all the other features, and just have a couple extra straps handy.

To be clear - I am sending my much loved, well worn, owes-me-nothing Stratos 40 in under the All Mighty Guarantee. It's been repaired once before. I'm not sure it can be repaired again. Since they are adamant about helping me out, I am trying to "pre pick" a replacement should they not be able to repair it. My options under this plan are limited to a similar pack in the +/- 5L range, which they claim would likely be the Kestrel 38.

I could dig out my mask and visit a local retailer with snowshoes in hand just to see... assuming they are open and have the pack in stock. Thought I'd start with your collective wisdom first :)

Tim

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the carrying configuration I am going for.

Tim

Attachments

• 2020-06-02_9-03-01.jpg
    2020-06-02_9-03-01.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 809
  • 2020-06-02_9-06-03.jpg
    2020-06-02_9-06-03.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 760
Last edited:
My daypack has daisy chains on the sides of the front, similar to the Kestrel. I tie a cord across the front from the lowest loop on each side, leaving enough slack to slide my snowshoes behind, toes down with the bindings facing the pack. The crampons get caught on the cord, which supports the weight. A second cord is attached through the top loop on each side and tensioned with a cord lock.

Thank you for all the suggestions. The problem here is that

The Stratos 40 comes with OEM compression straps that perfectly, securely, and evenly hold my snowshoes in the preferred vertical orientation. Click, click, tension, tension, attachment complete. Pinch, pinch, click, click, detachment complete.

That is the bar. It's a high bar :) I have struggled with all the various ways to attach snowshoes to packs without this feature, particularly my wife's larger pack, for the few times she's ventured out with me in snowshoe conditions. It's not much fun :(

No exposed crampons to snag, it's profile is narrower than the pack and the hiker - they just stay put and don't catch on much of anything (except maybe when crawling under blowdowns). It's ideal :)

attachment.php

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_2038.jpg
    IMG_2038.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 754
Last edited:
Tim, I've sent Osprey's back for their excellent customer service. You probably know this - If you want to be certain they don't destroy and replace if they feel it can't be fixed, use packing tape around a note firmly attached to a strap "pack should be returned not destroyed". They're a lot happier to work on packs if they are soaked in a sudsy bathtub and then rinsed out before mailing it.
Their customer service is like North Face, Sierra Designs and a few other legacy mfgrs were years ago. My zippered version of your 40 has been in twice for repairs.
I too prefer vertical carry.

Last edited:
At this time, I have exactly one question -

Does anyone carry their snowshoes the way I wish to using a Kestrel-38? And if so, would you be so good as to include a picture? I.e. Ken????

If my pack can be repaired, this is all academic. If not, then it matters. If the Kestrel-38 is not to my liking, then all the other options come into play.

Thank you,
Tim

Looks to me like it's impossible to carry snowshoes the way you want to with a Kestrel 38.

Last edited:
Thanks, I've seen that picture, the one further down the list where the guy is holding the blue snowshoes against the pack but not actually attaching them, and watched the accompanying video, but I wanted to see how the snowshoes actually attach.

Tim
Is it possible that they might just be implying rather than actually doing. It seems as if stowing them inside the beaver tail/ shovit pocket may be their method.

Last edited:
See also New Winter / Summer Daypack - and I put this photo here to keep the threads separate.

Here's what I typically end up doing with the Kestrel 48 (although thanks to Michael Blair I scored a lightly-used Stratos 40!)

Crossing the sleeping pad loops has a similar effect to what Sierra mentioned with the cordage.

attachment.php

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_3142.jpg
    IMG_3142.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Being no stranger to modifying my gear, I would probably try to think if there is a way to attach a shock cord with a carabiner to your pack. The nice thing about shock cords is that they eliminate the need to adjust tension and carabiners make attachment and detachment fast and probably easier to work with than buckles if you have your gloves on.