Anybody using an Osprey Kestrel to carry snowshoes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

Option 1 shows the dual upper reverse straightjacket side compression strap not threaded through the guide loop
Option 2 shows the same threaded through the guide loop

Option 1, when deployed, allows the shove-it pocket to open outwards on the elastic side panels causing the shoes to bounce out and back.
Option 2, when deployed, is much more secure, but puts quite a load on the guide loops

Both options do not offer any way to stabilize or hold the tails of the snowshoes against the pack. The crossing of the sleeping pad straps works OK for either of the above two uses, or, I can actually run them through the holes in the tails and clip them which gives more security, but at a longer delay, and requiring more manual dexterity.

I still prefer the previous version over either of the recommended versions. I may well find a shock cord version with or without a carabiner, but the buckle doesn't cause me any great pain at this time.

Tim

Attachments

• Tim.jpg
    Tim.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 283
Looking at your snowshoes from that angle, I think that the method I use to attach my snowshoes would not work because of the bulky bindings on your shoes.

I have several pairs. These are my favorites. I don't usually bring these if I feel I'll be carrying them a lot (take the MSR Denali Ascents), but there are always times where they are needed in the woods and get stowed for stretches above treeline, and I have to carry them.

I am curious to see if anyone interprets the Osprey "instructions" differently than I have. They work, albeit not "like butter" which was the case with the Stratos 40.

Tim