9 Circles of Hiker Hell

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen this before, not sure where, but #1 is surely debatable (search the archives).

Wild flowers, I think you can pick a small quantity, right? I know in NY you can pick berries, or ramps, etc. for personal consumption.

And I guess I'm condemned, I feed the Gray Jays!

Yielding to those walking faster, sure. But the uphill/downhill thing is arbitrary and bogus, IMO. And I feed the Jays as well.

It's missing postholing, which should be close to the inner circle, except fortunately for those folks a lot of their punishment is here on earth. Postholing on ski trails is the worst. No reference to unleashed dogs either, that's a clear oversight.

Yielding to those walking faster, sure. But the uphill/downhill thing is arbitrary and bogus, IMO.

I'm not sure it is arbitrary, it's more difficult to regain momentum when heading uphill and the downhill hiker has a better view of the trail to locate an appropriate place to pull aside.

Yielding to those walking faster, sure. But the uphill/downhill thing is arbitrary and bogus, IMO.

Driving on the right side of the road is also arbitrary...some things are arbitrary but you really need a societal agreement.

Clicking the quote button on IamKrzys's post isn't getting the quote in here, so I'll just say: uphill having RoW means that, when uphill is gassed and wants to take a break, they get the chance to be the good guy and yield RoW. Everybody's happy, brief "no you, no you" and along we go.

I'm not sure it is arbitrary, it's more difficult to regain momentum when heading uphill and the downhill hiker has a better view of the trail to locate an appropriate place to pull aside.
I find it a lot that it depends on the terrain and where it is good to stop. Sometimes whether your uphill or downhill your just in a better place to pull over than the other guy. I personally don’t get my panties up my crack about it. I have had bc Skiers on a two way trail and even within groomed XC centers say just the opposite of hikers and get all pissy about it at the same time. Again I find it is just the situation of your position. Be considerate to the next guy whether he is uphill or downhill.

Last edited:
I prefer small groups yield to large groups, that way fewer people step off the trail. An arbitrary choice would be fine if there was a need, but I don't really see the need for a rule.

Wild flowers, I think you can pick a small quantity, right?

And I guess I'm condemned, I feed the Gray Jays!

As Depeche Mode reminds us, everything counts in large amounts. If people thought it appropriate to pick trillium to put behind their ears for a selfie, every flower within sight of a trail would be gone before 9am. A simpler rule is to say, "if you find it in the woods, leave it there."

As for feeding birds, here's what the NPS has to say:
"Do not feed birds or any other wildlife in national parks. This is dangerous to you and the animal, and it’s against the law."
https://www.nps.gov/subjects/watchingwildlife/gear.htm

Dave & Tom, you both seem like smart, decent people. The Parks Service asks you not to feed birds, so please don't feed them. It's illegal, and it's bad for them. Plus, when you die, you don't want to go to hiker hell.

Thanks!

As Depeche Mode reminds us, everything counts in large amounts. If people thought it appropriate to pick trillium to put behind their ears for a selfie, every flower within sight of a trail would be gone before 9am. A simpler rule is to say, "if you find it in the woods, leave it there."

As for feeding birds, here's what the NPS has to say:
"Do not feed birds or any other wildlife in national parks. This is dangerous to you and the animal, and it’s against the law."
https://www.nps.gov/subjects/watchingwildlife/gear.htm

Dave & Tom, you both seem like smart, decent people. The Parks Service asks you not to feed birds, so please don't feed them. It's illegal, and it's bad for them. Plus, when you die, you don't want to go to hiker hell.

Thanks!

It's also bad etiquette to crack open a can of tuna fish in a lean-to that your hiking party is staying in but, it doesn't matter because, you are tenting..
Not illegal but, you get the point.

When it comes to passing other people on the trail I think the more delicate situation is when a slightly faster hiker catches up to someone else who is a bit slower ascending a narrow trail. Then it is really all about courtesy of the person (or a group of people) up front.

Quick search finds REI, American Alpine Institute, Modern Hiker, Lonely Planet, American Hiking Society, Colorado 14ers, Wiki "Trail Ethics," Zion National Park, etc., etc. all saying uphill hiker has right of way. I couldn't find any sources saying downhill hikers have right of way.

Reasons include momentum and field of vision. Of course conditions and situations may vary.

On the "who gets out of the way" question, common courtesy and awareness of one's surroundings are the only real rule that matters. On our narrow Adirondack trails, there are fairly long stretches where it's hard to find a decent place to step off the trail. Paying attention so you know in advance that there is a party wishing to pass (in any direction) helps a lot. Sadly there are lots of folks out there who don't notice anything until it's right in front of them.

Unless it's winter and the downhill has gone sledding....then the uphill better the the hell out of the way.:)

Yielding to those walking faster, sure. But the uphill/downhill thing is arbitrary and bogus, IMO. And I feed the Jays as well.
No reference to unleashed dogs either, that's a clear oversight.

Oh yeah, hikers with unleashed dogs proceed to the center of the circle.

Here's a first for me: Last week a hiker on Belknap arrived at the summit with two unleashed dogs. As the bowsers were drawing a bead on our lunch items on the picnic table below the fire tower he asked if we wanted him to leash his dogs! We said yes, please do and that was the end of it. Dogs near him and under control.

A very nice interaction but alas, rare.

Quick search finds REI, American Alpine Institute, Modern Hiker, Lonely Planet, American Hiking Society, Colorado 14ers, Wiki "Trail Ethics," Zion National Park, etc., etc. all saying uphill hiker has right of way. I couldn't find any sources saying downhill hikers have right of way.
Mountaineers also say uphill. Apparently the Boy Scout manual used to say downhill has RoW but has since changed to uphill. Not that that's stopped the occasional scoutmaster who wanted to chew me out.

Looks like something from a Leave No Trace training. Ever play the Ethics game?