Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 53 of 53

Thread: Kayak Car Roof Rack Question

  1. #46
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,785
    Is Thule having production problems/COVID issues? I ordered a rack about a month ago from Amazon that showed in and out of stock the whole time my order was placed and then I got an alert that it was unavailable with no ETA so I canceled. I went on Rack Warehouse today and half the Thule racks I clicked on were showing as out of stock. Amazon has been extremely unreliable post-COVID so I'm leary of ordering another one from them and waiting a month for nothing. Curious if anyone was aware of production problems with Thule.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  2. #47
    Moderator bikehikeskifish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    5,747
    I have been waiting 5 weeks for a bicycle part for warranty replacement. They all come from Malaysia which has restrictions and are shipped to a warehouse in California which is at 20% of its regular staff... The shop tells me October/November. I gave up and found the part in stock and paid for it myself... All kinds of supply disruptions - just-in-time-delivery means easily disrupted. Clearly, your rack and my crankset are not as high priority as food, water, medical supplies, etc.

    Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

  3. #48
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,785
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    I have been waiting 5 weeks for a bicycle part for warranty replacement. They all come from Malaysia which has restrictions and are shipped to a warehouse in California which is at 20% of its regular staff... The shop tells me October/November. I gave up and found the part in stock and paid for it myself... All kinds of supply disruptions - just-in-time-delivery means easily disrupted. Clearly, your rack and my crankset are not as high priority as food, water, medical supplies, etc.

    Tim
    Figured it was something like that. The normally rock solid Amazon next day delivery has pretty much gone down the toilet and really none of the vendors I generally deal with can deliver on expedited shipping. And God forbid you return something. Takes weeks to get processed. I returned some trail runners to Backcountry.com and it took 11 days to post my refund from the date they received the item at their warehouse.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  4. #49
    Senior Member JustJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ipswich, Ma.
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Is Thule having production problems/COVID issues? I ordered a rack about a month ago from Amazon that showed in and out of stock the whole time my order was placed and then I got an alert that it was unavailable with no ETA so I canceled. I went on Rack Warehouse today and half the Thule racks I clicked on were showing as out of stock. Amazon has been extremely unreliable post-COVID so I'm leary of ordering another one from them and waiting a month for nothing. Curious if anyone was aware of production problems with Thule.
    There's definitely priority shipping going on at Amazon. That's been getting a little better. Thule is however out of stock on a lot of stuff. I bought a Thule rack item online REI when they had 20% off Thule and Yakima. I was able to purchase it back-ordered. No time given on delivery. Which for me was fine, since it's just an upgrade for me.
    Joe

  5. #50
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,785
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe View Post
    There's definitely priority shipping going on at Amazon. That's been getting a little better. Thule is however out of stock on a lot of stuff. I bought a Thule rack item online REI when they had 20% off Thule and Yakima. I was able to purchase it back-ordered. No time given on delivery. Which for me was fine, since it's just an upgrade for me.
    I emailed Rack Warehouse about the model I had ordered through Amazon because they showed it available. It was out of stock there too and they were hoping to get in by the end of July but it didn't sound very solid.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

  6. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,285
    If the parts are coming from offshore there could also be delays. Customs is running short staffed and stuff on occasion gets stalled awaiting paperwork. I just went through that with an air freight package.

  7. #52
    Senior Member jniehof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dover,NH
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    If the parts are coming from offshore there could also be delays. Customs is running short staffed and stuff on occasion gets stalled awaiting paperwork. I just went through that with an air freight package.
    I had a bike part go from Frankfurt on 29 June to "inbound to customs" in NY on 11 July, nothing in between. It's hard to tell if the delay is in finding a flight with cargo space or in Customs staffing. A friend had a similar wait for an air filter from the UK. International supply chains are strained and I imagine the retail customer is fairly far down the list.

  8. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,285
    If its a dedicated air freight company and standard commercial goods its pretty reliable but the customer pays a premium. If its standard postage then it can take quite awhile. My new Toyota project was never sold in the US so parts come from offshore, either Dubai UAE or Japan. I did get a crate with a used specialized jack for my Unimog cab in it but it had German military graphics on it, it got stalled in customs for two plus weeks. Customs wanted a form that no one had ever heard of but it took several phone calls to find out they wanted it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •