Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Car Roof Rack Question

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Remember, noise equals drag equals lower fuel economy especially on smaller vehicles. It annoys me that folks on long trips to places like BSP leave the racks on with nothing on them. They are removable for a reason. I realize that to some folks its an image thing, leave the racks on and that implies that the owner is active outdoors person.
    Sometimes it's not an image thing. The clips that attach to the rails are not exactly a snap on and off affair, depending upon the system used. They take time and every time you do this, you run the risk of scratching the paint, or worse. Plus, sometimes the exact position on the rails is important for fitting a canoe, etc. I leave me cross bars attached and remove whatever accessory attachment is no longer needed.
    As for drag, I think the empty rack's affect on mileage is insignificant. With a canoe on top, not so much. Also, drag is a complex thing. Ever notice how some pickup trucks drive around with their cargo area gate down? Not so much anymore, probably because they found out that wind tunnel tests showed that, in fact, the gate being down attributed to increased drag.
    Last edited by maineguy; 06-05-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    My wife likes to kayak and has 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. We got it with factory roof rails, but not factory cross bars. We opted for Thule Wingbars as I used to have Thule Square cross bars and I found they hummed loudly at highway speeds. Wingbars are super quiet in comparison. We also purchased Thule Rapid Crossroad Foot Pack 450R for mounting Aero bars to the factory roof rails which work fine.

My wife went to REI and purchased Yakima kayak lift system (whose name I forget) and was not happy with it so we took advantage of REI return policy and returned it. She purchased the Thule Hullivator lift system instead which after some trial and error she is now quite happy with. The only problem I have with our current set up is REI recommended 60" (160cm) Thule Aero bars which in my opinion stick out too much on the Crosstrek. Especially with the Hullivator. There is clear danger of someone whacking head on Hullivator in driveways or parking lots.

I'm mulling over whether or not to return the 60" Aero Bar to REI and trade it in for the 53" (135 cm) Aero Bar since she purchased it on REI recommendations (they are supposed to be experts right???). I think REI rep picked the 60" over the 53" thinking better too long than too short. I find the Hullivator clears the car body in down position by plenty to allow for shorter 53" crossbar.

Not being super strong she Hullivator enables her to car top her boat by herself which enables her to go kayaking solo. We only purchased one Hullivator on idea that if there are two boats there will be two people to car top two boats.

We take the Hullivator off when not in use as it risks someone bashing head on it and it makes lots of wind noise at highway speeds. Fortunately it is relatively easy to mount and dismount once you get the hang of the procedure. It never occurred to me to take photos of the process so I have none to offer just now. I'll post some photos of our setup a bit later.
    Last edited by Jazzbo; 06-07-2020 at 10:28 AM.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #99 of NEHH
    On #46 of WNH48

An atom walked up to me and said "i think I've lost an electron"
    I said "are you sure?"
    It reply "I'm positive."

For what it's worth, we have a Subaru Forester and Subaru outback. Both have the Yakima bars that haul canoes, kayaks, bikes, ski box, and the occasional ladder or lumber. Just buy the appropriate parts so it's a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzbo View Post
    My wife likes to kayak and has 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. We got it with factory roof rails, but not factory cross bars. We opted for Thule Wingbars as I used to have Thule Square cross bars and I found they hummed loudly at highway speeds. Wingbars are super quiet in comparison. We also purchased Thule Rapid Crossroad Foot Pack 450R for mounting Aero bars to the factory roof rails which work fine.

My wife went to REI and purchased Yakima kayak lift system (whose name I forget) and was not happy with it so we took advantage of REI return policy and returned it. She purchased the Thule Hullivator lift system instead which after some trial and error she is now quite happy with. The only problem I have with our current set up is REI recommended 60" (160cm) Thule Aero bars which in my opinion stick out too much on the Crosstrek. Especially with the Hullivator. There is clear danger of someone whacking head on Hullivator in driveways or parking lots.

I'm mulling over whether or not to return the 60" Aero Bar to REI and trade it in for the 53" (135 cm) Aero Bar since she purchased it on REI recommendations (they are supposed to be experts right???). I think REI rep picked the 60" over the 53" thinking better too long than too short. I find the Hullivator clears the car body in down position by plenty to allow for shorter 53" crossbar.

Not being super strong she Hullivator enables her to car top her boat by herself which enables her to go kayaking solo. We only purchased one Hullivator on idea that if there are two boats there will be two people to car top two boats.

We take the Hullivator off when not in use as it risks someone bashing head on it and it makes lots of wind noise at highway speeds. Fortunately it is relatively easy to mount and dismount once you get the hang of the procedure. It never occurred to me to take photos of the process so I have none to offer just now. I'll post some photos of our setup a bit later.
    Interesting info. Thanks. I didn't even realize cross bars came in different widths. I assumed it was a "standard" size. I guess that's my first blunder already: I'm having the Subaru dealership cross bars (I think Thule) installed THU and I don't know what length the are. Guess I'll know soon enough.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

I guess the good old river rat days of drilling four holes in the roof and bolting the rack to the roof is no longer acceptable?

I knew a lot of hard core white water folks that had that badge of honor on their vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Interesting info. Thanks. I didn't even realize cross bars came in different widths. I assumed it was a "standard" size. I guess that's my first blunder already: I'm having the Subaru dealership cross bars (I think Thule) installed THU and I don't know what length the are. Guess I'll know soon enough.
    This car looks like it has factory crossbars: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

One more thing to worry about. If you have a sunroof, be sure that whatever crossbars you get don't interfere with the sunroof.

And one more thing: check for interference with you radio antenna. My 2015 Forester has the older radio antenna which is flexible and also removable, so it can easily be folded down or removed to avoid interference with a roof load. My 2018 Forester has the rigid "dorsal fin" antenna (which I think is associated with satellite radio). The rigid dorsal fin cannot be removed or folded down, so you have to watch for interference if you have that kind of antenna.

No sunroof so good there. I do have the short stubby dorsal antenna though so I'll have to see on that, although I almost never listen to the actual radio when I'm driving. Stream everything on my phone.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    I thought I would add photos of our Thule rack installation on 2018 Subaru Crosstrek as it might help others in selecting crossbars. See photo below of 60" (153 cm) Thule Aero bar. Note the mounting bracket for mounting the Hullivator is mounted on the Aero bar and stays there all the time.

The next photo shows the Hullivator installed. It only takes a few minutes once you get the hang of it. Note how it sticks out quite a bit and would definitely pose a hazard to pedestrians in parking lots.

Here it is in the down position for loading your kayak. Thule recommends minimum 3" clearance with car body. Our installation has 10" clearance. We could easily accommodate 53" Aero bar and still maintain 7" clearance. We would still have problem of Hullivator sticking out too far with 53" crossbar, but I would like to leave room on crossbar to strap the 2nd boat flat. I prefer mounting boat flat mount versus J-racks which are PITA in my opinion. J-rack enables mounting boats tilted to deal with narrow crossbars. I've even seen three boats mounted on cars using three J-racks.

On #67 of NE67
    On #99 of NEHH
    On #46 of WNH48

An atom walked up to me and said "i think I've lost an electron"
    I said "are you sure?"
    It reply "I'm positive."

I can put two boats and two bikes on my roof with a single J rack (hullaport). Flat might be easier but itís also easy to strap too tightly and deform the boat.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzbo View Post
    I thought I would add photos of our Thule rack installation on 2018 Subaru Crosstrek as it might help others in selecting crossbars. See photo below of 60" (153 cm) Thule Aero bar. Note the mounting bracket for mounting the Hullivator is mounted on the Aero bar and stays there all the time.

The next photo shows the Hullivator installed. It only takes a few minutes once you get the hang of it. Note how it sticks out quite a bit and would definitely pose a hazard to pedestrians in parking lots.

Here it is in the down position for loading your kayak. Thule recommends minimum 3" clearance with car body. Our installation has 10" clearance. We could easily accommodate 53" Aero bar and still maintain 7" clearance. We would still have problem of Hullivator sticking out too far with 53" crossbar, but I would like to leave room on crossbar to strap the 2nd boat flat. I prefer mounting boat flat mount versus J-racks which are PITA in my opinion. J-rack enables mounting boats tilted to deal with narrow crossbars. I've even seen three boats mounted on cars using three J-racks.

Excellent photos. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    I can put two boats and two bikes on my roof with a single J rack (hullaport). Flat might be easier but it’s also easy to strap too tightly and deform the boat.

Tim
    I don't follow. I was assuming you needed a set of J rack type clamps for EACH kayak hauled, i.e. I will need 2 sets (4 actual hooks) for my situation. I'm going to dealership tomorrow so I'll be reviewing the display again while they do my oil, tires, etc.

HTH,

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

A little late in chiming in but here's my 2 cents. I can't see how putting after market crossbars on would effect warranties. The thing with the after market vs factory, is you have the option of extending the crossbars past the factor rails. Factory crossbars would be inside the rails. Very much limiting your space, especially on a narrow vehicle. Both Thule and Yakima have guides as to what options they have for any given vehicle. Look at both Thule and Yakima and see if there's a setup you really like that would maximize your system.
    Joe