York Pond Road Gate being Locked!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I decided to pass on the long traverse of the Weeks after reading an uninspiring TR that might have been written by Salty.

I have that effect on people. :D

What the other two said. The woods are indeed amazing on that traverse, which I did note in my TR, though I haven't been back since the big blowdown event. It also got me 4 peaks closer to finishing my list. :rolleyes:

Address: 3783 York Pond Rd, Berlin, NH 03570
Hours: 8AM - 4PM
Hours or services may differ
Phone: (603) 449-3412

I called, just now, and the message basically says "thanks for calling, please leave a message"...

Tim

I have that effect on people. :D

What the other two said. The woods are indeed amazing on that traverse, which I did note in my TR, though I haven't been back since the big blowdown event. It also got me 4 peaks closer to finishing my list. :rolleyes:

Actually I always found your TRs to be very entertaining. They were never just trail conditions but often humorous self-deprecating short stories. I used to get a lot of info from your web site which may no longer exist, but at one time featured info on literally hundreds of hikes and included lesser known peaks that I had never heard of but proceeded to research. So thanks for all of that and if I mischaracterized your report on the Weeks, I apologize, but I thought you had described it as a long unremarkable slog that you would be unlikely to repeat.

Lady Slippers win over Mosquitos

Sssshhhhhhh.....

j/k

It's the sad reality of a hidden gem, eventually it loses that moniker. I have family nearby there, and at one point I would do the Mill Brook up to Roger's a dozen times a year and would go years without seeing anyone the entire time. I always viewed it as my own trail! My dog knew the way and we'd hike it together and I'd never have to say a word to her, she even knew which way to go at the trail intersections.

I too think of this as my own trail, as I look at the back of it from my home. Hadn't been out there in several years, but tried it today from the hatchery. Still as wonderful as ever, even though the bugs were relentless. The breeze from the top and the stellar day made up for it. As usual I had it all to myself and found myself thinking that I was happy that more people might check it out, as the trail is filling in. It is very easy to follow and today you had to pay attention so as not to mow down the Lady Slippers that were everywhere. Saw my first one within minutes. They are literaly popping out on the trail. Only saw two other people at the end of the day. 2 cars there at 9:30 and the same 2 there at 3. One out by the gate. Signs say the gate is open from 8 to 4

I too think of this as my own trail, as I look at the back of it from my home. Hadn't been out there in several years, but tried it today from the hatchery. Still as wonderful as ever, even though the bugs were relentless. The breeze from the top and the stellar day made up for it. As usual I had it all to myself and found myself thinking that I was happy that more people might check it out, as the trail is filling in. It is very easy to follow and today you had to pay attention so as not to mow down the Lady Slippers that were everywhere. Saw my first one within minutes. They are literaly popping out on the trail. Only saw two other people at the end of the day. 2 cars there at 9:30 and the same 2 there at 3. One out by the gate. Signs say the gate is open from 8 to 4
Are we talking about the same Gate? The OP was about the Gate on York Pond Road. I have not been up Mill Brook Road since the 70's and have forgotten. Is there another Fish Hatchery with a gate there also? If so is that also closing at 4PM?

Mill Brook Trail is not accessed from Mill Brook Road, it is accessed from York Pond road. Unknown Pond trail North is the trailhead that leaves Mill Brook road. I think long ago Mill Brook trail may have connected up with Mill Brook road but was discontinued.

Mill Brook Trail is not accessed from Mill Brook Road, it is accessed from York Pond road. Unknown Pond trail North is the trailhead that leaves Mill Brook road. I think long ago Mill Brook trail may have connected up with Mill Brook road but was discontinued.
Thanks for refreshing my memory. I was also to lazy to look at the map. 45 years is a long time.