Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: York Pond Road Gate being Locked!

York Pond Road Gate being Locked!

After communicating with a Gentleman whom is a hiker and lives on York Pond Road he informed me that the gate before the fish hatchery is now being locked at 4PM. There has been a logging operation going on and the road itself was closed and has now reopened. According to the same source since the reopening there has been an after hours party crowd using the area thence the lockdown.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

A blast from the past, that is the reason they used to lock it.

We used to be able to lift the gate end off the hinges to access the parking. We were told by hatchery personnel to do it that way.

At one point a resident on the road near the gate had a key to the lock. This was quite sometime ago. Guess it might be time for a bike.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

This opens up a issue that was not as much of one in the past. The trails from York Pond used to be rarely used, the FS was actually planning to close York Pond Trail, Bunnell Notch Trail and possibly Unknown Pond and Mill Brook trail at one point when the Kilkenny Ridge trail was opened. Both York Pond and Bunnell Notch stopped being maintained. This was to be done to make the KRT into multiday backpacking trip. About the same time the Mt Cabot trail became an issue that eventually culminated in its being abandoned. Therefore the trail network from York Pond now became more important and the trails were upgraded. Bunnell Notch trail got a major relocation. One of the goals of the cutting last winter was to clear up the lower Unknown Pond trail and build a new hiker parking lot.

So now that the FS has spent time and money to turn the York Pond side of the Kilkenny's into a hiking center, the state operating on leased federal land is going to limit access?. I expect in the short term the fed will let the state keep the gate closed but expect there could be a long term issue if its kept closed.

There still of course is the Mill Brook access from the north and the unsigned and not currently maintained, but frequently used Mt Cabot trail from the west that are legal accesses that skip the gate.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 06-05-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    and the unsigned and not currently maintained, but frequently used Mt Cabot trail from the west that are legal accesses that skip the gate.
    Still posted as "No Trespassing" (from reports I have seen) but clearly in use if you believe gps-based heat maps / community maps.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

This opens up a issue that was not as much of one in the past. The trails from York Pond used to be rarely used, the FS was actually planning to close York Pond Trail, Bunnell Notch Trail and possibly Unknown Pond and Mill Brook trail at one point when the Kilkenny Ridge trail was opened. Both York Pond and Bunnell Notch stopped being maintained. This was to be done to make the KRT into multiday backpacking trip. About the same time the Mt Cabot trail became an issue that eventually culminated in its being abandoned. Therefore the trail network from York Pond now became more important and the trails were upgraded. Bunnell Notch trail got a major relocation. One of the goals of the cutting last winter was to clear up the lower Unknown Pond trail and build a new hiker parking lot.

So now that the FS has spent time and money to turn the York Pond side of the Kilkenny's into a hiking center, the state operating on leased federal land is going to limit access?. I expect in the short term the fed will let the state keep the gate closed but expect there could be a long term issue if its kept closed.

There still of course is the Mill Brook access from the north and the unsigned and not currently maintained, but frequently used Mt Cabot trail from the west that are legal accesses that skip the gate.
    Now that Roger's Ledge has been added to the 52 w/a View, there is bound to be more interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hachi View Post
    Now that Roger's Ledge has been added to the 52 w/a View, there is bound to be more interest.
    I'm not convinced that it will. It's already a NH200 highest, so surely it receives hordes of people already. Will it's status as a 52WAV really create a noticeable increase?

Quote Originally Posted by TEO View Post
    I'm not convinced that it will. It's already a NH200 highest, so surely it receives hordes of people already. Will it's status as a 52WAV really create a noticeable increase?

I see the wink but will offer that I am more likely to go there now than I was before... I'm was thinking about doing a big loop to get Cabot, The Horn, The Bulge and Roger's Ledge, which might take longer than the gate being open would allow for... I guess it remains to be seen if they will really lock cars in, or if they will close it but not lock it. I know for certain I went there early on a Thursday in November and it was physically locked, and there were cars at Unknown Pond's TH having spent the night at the Unknown Pond camp site.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    I see the wink but will offer that I am more likely to go there now than I was before... I'm was thinking about doing a big loop to get Cabot, The Horn, The Bulge and Roger's Ledge, which might take longer than the gate being open would allow for... I guess it remains to be seen if they will really lock cars in, or if they will close it but not lock it. I know for certain I went there early on a Thursday in November and it was physically locked, and there were cars at Unknown Pond's TH having spent the night at the Unknown Pond camp site.

Tim
    It's been awhile since I've been York Pond Road. Is their ample room to park on the side of the road before the gate and is it legal. Seems like the loop your describing could manifest your screen name. Bike....Hike ….Fish!

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    It's been awhile since I've been York Pond Road. Is their ample room to park on the side of the road before the gate and is it legal. Seems like the loop your describing could manifest your screen name. Bike....Hike ….Fish!
    That was not lost on me I think there are enough spots to pull off, especially if I'm gonna ride it anyway... Not sure whether the gate technically means the road is closed and I cannot use a bicycle...

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    That was not lost on me I think there are enough spots to pull off, especially if I'm gonna ride it anyway... Not sure whether the gate technically means the road is closed and I cannot use a bicycle...

Tim
    I let the AMC rule technicians decipher that.

I've only been up in that area twice. Once to do the standard Cabot, Bulge, Horn loop and a few years later to do the loop over Terrace. If I go back, it will be to return to The Horn from the north via Mill Brook Rd or to hike in to Roger's Ledge from the north on the KRT. Therefore no reason for me to worry about the gate being locked. I think I decided to pass on the long traverse of the Weeks after reading an uninspiring TR that might have been written by Salty.
    "I am a pilgrim and a stranger"

You are missing out on a usually quiet nice traverse. Its a PITA for a car spot but the terrain from just north of Waumbek over to South Weeks is quite rare for the whites. Its a fairly broad ridge with thinly dispersed softwood cover unlike any other area in the whites. The views are open on occasion. I must admit the traverse is far less interesting once heading into the woods off the South Weeks summit. The summit of North Weeks is also somewhat open softwoods. I cant say the same for the Terraces which is similar to many north country traverses.

You are missing out on a usually quiet nice traverse. Its a PITA for a car spot but the terrain from just north of Waumbek over to South Weeks is quite rare for the whites. Its a fairly broad ridge with thinly dispersed softwood cover unlike any other area in the whites. The views are open on occasion. I must admit the traverse is far less interesting once heading into the woods off the South Weeks summit. The summit of North Weeks is also somewhat open softwoods. I cant say the same for the Terraces which is similar to many north country traverses.
    I would concur with this. I really like the Weeks. As mentioned quite unique.