Its Golden Hour seasson in the Northern Presidentials

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
With the disruption in local travel this year due to CV-19 impacts, "golden hour" season has snuck up on me. Photographers generally call the light the best around sunset and sunrise. Generally sunrise is the best as the haze is far less then in the evening. I am not a photographer but have a few favorite places to visit this time of year to check out views around sunset that only appear around the summer solstice. My favorite drive is RT2 from Lancaster to Gorham preferably on evenings near sunset on days with low relative humidity. The sun sets well north of west during the summer solstice at this latitude and the geographical combination of Jefferson Meadows (the location of the ancient lake Coos) and the broad section of the Connecticut River valley north of Lancaster means the sunsets later and the rays of the sun makes it past the prominent Waumbek and Starr King summits to light up and define the ravines from the western slope of Mt Washington to Jefferson and especially from Jefferson to Madison. I think the other contributor is the foliage is darn close to fluorescent green at this time of year. No doubt John Wingate Weeks built his estate on Prospect Mountain in Lancaster to enjoyed the view. Normally Weeks state park is closed well before sunset but during normal times the weekly lecture series provides a chance to be up there for sunset.

In the running for second is the sunset run up RT3 from around 5 corners on RT 3 and onwards up Rt 115 to RT2. These views last longer during the summer.

No doubt the western end of the Kanc has the potential for views but the mountains to the north probably impact the suns angle.

So anyone else have some favorite solstice season ephemeral views?

Last edited:
Funny you say this. Just yesterday late afternoon I noticed the awesome light in the yard.

B657CF14-5C83-4AF8-8AA1-CFE02C443996.jpgThe air quality is excellent right now for photography. The panoramic view especially to the west on Foss Mt. in Eaton,NH is an awesome Sunset Hike. Not just now but almost anytime of year.