Cockermouth Forest Groton & Hebron NH - What are these artifacts???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
Last spring I hiked Mount Crosby and Bald Knob in SPNHF Cockermouth Forest. These two peaks offer very fine views and the rocks and forest around the summits are quite nice too. One thing I really enjoy is coming across rusty artifacts. The lower elevations feature some very peculiar artifacts. I have no idea what they might be. This is something for a mechanical engineer who prides himself on knowing how things work.

The first artifact is I came across is located only about 1/4 mile right off the Romley Remick trail (actually an old road which intersects shortly with Old North Groton Road). It is actually a structure. Judging from the fire brick lining in the lower compartment it would supposed to be used for heating. It is located on land between confluence of two brooks not far from the trail which is really a road. One odd feature is the fact that it is located in wet area which a small stream runs through.

20190428_102931-XL.jpg

This side shows the fire brick lining. Above there appears to be an oven. This could be the worlds first brick oven pizza place??? Bertucci's of North Groton!!!

20190428_164107-XL.jpg

20190428_164256-L.jpg

The next bunch of artifacts are in a cellar hole at the site according to the map of the "Former Remick Place" located at junction of John F Woodhouse Trail which leads to Little Pond and Cliff Loop.

20190428_140919-L.jpg

There appears to be two large primary artifacts and numerous smaller ones. First one large one looks truly bizarre.

20190428_141110-L.jpg

The other large one appears to be some sort of iron stove

20190428_141330-L.jpg

One of the smaller artifacts looks like some sort of geared mixer

20190428_141313-L.jpg

Any one got any clues????

Last edited:
Just a guess, but I can think of something you'd want to boil, stir, and put in barrels in the woods of New Hampshire.

There are maple trees in most of those photos.

(The ringlike pipe thing, though, I haven't a clue about.)

There appears to be two large primary artifacts and numerous smaller ones. First one large one looks truly bizarre.

20190428_141110-L.jpg

That reminds me of something that I saw in the Brick Tavern in Roslyn, Washington, where the acclaimed Northern Exposure was filmed. It was part of the stove piping above the tavern's wood stove, and it served essentially as a rudimentary space heater. (Also cool was the spittoon—a trough running the length of the bar at its base. IIRC, it had water running down it to flush it out.)

filename-5-roslyn-dr.jpg
brick-20110521-008.jpg

Last edited:
Adding word "Antique" to "wood stove heat reclaim" yields an even better hit. Check this out! This is a coal stove. Coal is fed via middle door and ash hopper is lower compartment.

Coal%20Stove%20Heat%20Reclaim-L.jpg

The mixer photo may actually be some sort of ash dump device.

"Also cool was the spittoon—a trough running the length of the bar at its base."

Bad news: that was a urinal. not a spittoon!