WMNF Visitor Survey

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I went out to my backstep yesterday and there as WMNF visitor survey hanging from my door UNH is administering it. The state goal is "The information you provide in this survey is important, as it will help inform management actions associated with outdoor recreation visitation at the White Mountain National Forest". I do not know the method of distribution or selection for this survey. Since it was delivered to residential home it raises questions in my mind but since I am a frequent visitos as the declaration boundary is about 2000 feet south of the house I guess I am qualified to answer it. Its clamed to be confidential and anonymous. There are no control numbers and the alternative online survey has no control numbers so I am curious on how the survey assures a proper cross-section.

The actual survey is about 4 pages of multiple subjective questions to be ranked. I expect few visitors would take the time to fill it out. Looking through it the results could be used selectively to justify any actions the WMNF cares to implement, but then again I have become a cynic over the year with respect to WMNF management ;).

I will not include the web link for the survey until I have contacted the Principal Investigator. Given that the survey does not appear to be controlled I expect someone or entity with an agenda could just flood the survey with answers that match their agenda.

I got a response to my inquiry

Know that you were one of the (lucky!) respondents to receive the pilot version of the survey. We are still working out a few small bugs but know that the final version will indeed require respondents to input a master ID number in order to complete the survey. As you noted, this will aid in sample representation, response bias, repeat respondents, etc.