Trash an issue on Lincoln/Lafayette Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiguy

Reaction score
According to a post on Facebook the trash is already piling up on “The Francs”. I believe and I stand corrected if I'm wrong. There is not going to be a trail steward this year. Could get not so nice. Here is the quote from FB:

"The Falling Waters trail looked like a landfill yesterday. Avoided it for a few years but figure I'd give it a go. Every time I stopped to look around I saw toilet paper. Every single time. At one point near the switch backs someone had opened an entire package of baby wipes, used them, and then threw all 200 of them around the woods, wrapper included. 6 articles of clothing hanging from trees, 17 plastic bottles (some floating in the stream, most just thrown in the woods), tampons, not to mention hundreds of tiny wrappers and random trash. Not sure what the solution is but Falling Waters is a health hazard at the moment. Trash on the trail is the absolute worst I've seen in my 5 years of hiking in the WMNF. Really wish there was a solution to this".

Last edited:
I used to average 5 or 6 ascents a year of that ridge. I think its been 3 or 4 years since I have done it. Its overrun by the masses now and frankly, there are better places to hike without running into hundreds of non ethical hiker wannabes.

There is not going to be a trail steward this year. Could get not so nice.

If that's the case, than expect more rescues on weekends. The stewards turn back dozens of knuckleheads every weekend since they started that program.

One of the best hikes in New England that I have no interest in doing any more. I go years between hikes on the ridge and it's usually in Winter weather or bad weather that I do it. I hate to say it but it's time for a permit system or some sort of more stringent regulation in this area. Just sees too much traffic from people who just don't get the idea of Leave No Trace or have any level of respect for the environment. Shame.

Hike your own hike!

Kidding.

It's disheartening, sad, and infuriating that so many are so thoughtless and selfish.

Maybe what is needed is a hiker's initiative similar to the cleanup of Everest base and the South Col.

If you love and use a popular place that others defile, mount an expedition to pick up the crap and remove it.

Who else will do it? The Forest Service or underfunded Fish n Game?

What if...?

Maybe what is needed is a hiker's initiative...

WHAT IF...
rather than asking "why don't they...?" each of us asked "how can I...?" and carried a small trash bag on every hike so we could pick up a few pieces of toilet paper, a couple candy wrappers, or an orange peel?

Might be worth a try, eh?

WHAT IF...
rather than asking "why don't they...?" each of us asked "how can I...?" and carried a small trash bag on every hike so we could pick up a few pieces of toilet paper, a couple candy wrappers, or an orange peel?

Great suggestion, and I usually do the same. But...

In the era of the virus I think all trash should be considered toxic waste and treated accordingly. Not sure what that means, but using gloves on a cleanup is a wise idea (and not just for Covid). For that reason an organized cleanup with some PPE provided is a good approach.

I, always, pick up what I can if I see it. But under no circumstances will I ever pick-up someones used TP. Unsightly as hell, but at least that will degrade fairly quickly. Not touching it!

My observations from two weeks ago is OBP is in far cleaner shape than Falling Waters. Falling Waters gets more use by tourists as the waterfalls are a destination in and of themselves. That said the switchbacks just above the dugway above the last stream has turned into multiple eroded paths skipping the switchbacks.

My observations from two weeks ago is OBP is in far cleaner shape than Falling Waters. Falling Waters gets more use by tourists as the waterfalls are a destination in and of themselves. That said the switchbacks just above the dugway above the last stream has turned into multiple eroded paths skipping the switchbacks.

I am guessing the AMC considers the OBP the main route to the hut. But they ought to give Falling Waters some love also since people who use it to run the ridge end up at the hut.
My $0.02.

AMC is the organization responsible for OBP. NH Chapter adopted it for many years, but has shifted their focus to Mt. Cardigan of late.

WHAT IF...

I never pick up other peoples trash, its disgusting and frankly with a pandemic going on, I'm not starting now. I just go elsewhere now, the ridge is dead to me.:eek: