High Altitude Apple Tree on Kearsage North

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been hiking up Kearsage North since I moved to NH. I was up there yesterday and noticed an apple tree in full blossom next to the tower at the summit. Its nestled down in a low spot surrounded by rocks. By the looks of the trunk its been there for quite awhile. I am curious if it was planted and tended by a past tower keeper or just a discarded apple core, I didnt see the a characteristic trunk graft which hints its a discarded apple core. The other question is why have I never noticed it?. Its one of my go to spring hikes most years. My guess is epple trees require "sweet" soil and perhaps the long term decline in Acid rain has encouraged the tree to blossom?. Here is link to article on the impact of reduced acid rain on New England red spruces https://www.wbur.org/news/2018/07/16/acid-rain-tree-recovery. I had read from various heritage apple fans that the key thing to restoring old apple trees found on old homesteads is clearing to the canopy and heavy application of lime around the drip zone of the tree to overcome acid rain. Perhaps someone just decided to haul some lime up?. However it got there it shows that even on frequently visited summit new things appear.

Interesting find. If you haven’t already, you should hike the old abandoned trail over the Bartlett Mtn. Very pleasant little side hike and great views over on B.